NBN News

True, I preferred Melinda. Jodi left me a bit cold.

I remember years ago when they had the Late Edition News and one night when Jodi was presenting, I was having a few beers at a Newcastle pub and they had that bulletin on the telly. 5 mins after the bulletin finished, she walked in with different clothes on!

Obviously pre-recorded, but that wouldn’t have been expected back then.

3 Likes

Would’ve been funnier if she walked in in the nuddy. :stuck_out_tongue:

The only interaction was her facial reaction when Jane said how good she looked or how good her dress was.

No two way interaction, no difference to a pre-record. Maybe there is too much of a delay.

That’s why it would have been good for her to at least say “back to you Jane” or something similar.

2 Likes

Thursday night bulletin:

5 Likes

Well this is quite novel. I have not seen anything quite like this before.

Central Coast reporter Sarah El-Mosehli decorating her microphone with flowers on this NBN Central Coast report on a hidden garden tucked way in the hinterland at Kulnura.

3 Likes

Kate Haberfield was caught laughing in the background at a, lets say “bogan” lady when the mics were switched on early after a news report just now. She was sitting next to Jane Goldsmith.

3 Likes

NBN News Gold Coast Promo (July 2019)

9 Likes

I wonder how many (few) Gold Coast residents (as opposed to visitors from NSW & those in NNSW receiving the signal) actually watch 9NBN’s news instead of QTQ9’s news?

3 Likes

My guess is very little and the same would go for Prime7 and WIN generally.

4 Likes

I read somewhere in this forum that viewership of the Nth NSW stations is about a combined 15% vs 85% for the 3 Brisbane based commercial stations.

I reckon it would even lower for Nth NSW when the news is on.

3 Likes

Personally I think having the Nthn NSW stations rebroadcast onto the Gold Coast is a total waste of bandwidth. I realise it’s a hangover from the old days when RTN8 Lismore was the local station for the region but I doubt that the Gold Coast stations are making any money for Prime7, NBN or WIN.

4 Likes

It’s the 6th largest city in the country. I doubt they’ll want that population taken out of their footprint.

3 Likes

The same can be said to an even greater extent about the NSW Central Coast where WIN (and SCA + previous NRN owners before them) didn’t even bother to launch a service for most of the region, the metro/Sydney stations don’t really cover more Central Coast stories than those of statewide/national importance while NBN’s local news efforts are underwhelming to say the least.

Perhaps the most poorly served major regional market in Australia for local news/media with Newcastle not far behind. Sadly, I suspect it’ll take a change in the NRL broadcast rights (to say that NBN has been historically lucky in this area is underestimating it) for either Prime7 or WIN to take the Newcastle market seriously.

Wouldn’t you agree that the Gold Coast deserves better localised services though?

Sure, Seven & Nine have their 5.30pm bulletins but a semi-metro market (which very well could become a proper 2nd metropolitan city for Queensland in the future) with 600k and growing really should have a completely separate 6pm bulletin from Brisbane IMO.

2 Likes

2 full 30 minute bulletins of PURELY local content for 1 city of 600,000 is being served pretty well.

It’s a unique market and seems to work well for 7 and 9 having local news at 530 and Brisbane news at 6.

Would 9 Brisbane benefit from running say a Gold Coast News hour at 6?

I’m not sure

4 Likes

NBN News Afternoon Updates with Tyson Cottrill 1/8/2019:

3 Likes

Instead of the usua mention of the Today Show starting at 5:30 at the end of NBN News, tonight they mentioned that ‘Jane Goldsmith will have the early news tomorrow from 5’.

7 Likes

They only mention that whenever Jane is presenting, never any other time :frowning:

8 Likes

Well I guess NBN News will only promote their own presenters especially when they are presenting a national bulletin.

They conveniently seem to forget that the station they are on is known as Channel Nine!
(right from program promos through to LCN names and PRGs/watermarks).

3 Likes

I’m sure the station would still brand themselves as NBN if they could!

2 Likes