NBN News

Thanks for that!

Which NBN region was that taken from, as I note the NBN watermark add on is there

2 Likes

Central Coast. I think that it was shown on all NBN markets.

2 Likes

Paul Lobb presented tonight’s edition(s) of NBN News solo.

1 Like

It was the same last week when I was up on the Central Coast.

1 Like

Kate Haberfield presented Sport on NBN News last night. Can’t confirm whether this is the case again tonight, because I’m now back in Sydney of course!

For what it’s worth, I only saw one report from NBN which wasn’t from Newcastle and that was Samantha Poate’s piece on Tuesday night about the parent stabbing a teacher at a Byron Bay primary school. Although in all honesty, it’s likely that most commercial TV bulletins in NSW & Queensland (interestingly, TCN appeared to use the services of Alexander Heinke from QTQ…which I guess is slightly better than their usual and infamous “Sydney-fication” of Northern NSW news) would’ve aired some coverage of this particular story.

Overall though, I can definitely understand why TV viewers in Newcastle & the Hunter region are strong supporters of NBN News aside the obvious market’s first TV station/no competition factors.

Sure, the On-Air Presentation isn’t quite at the same level as Nine News Sydney (although in my personal opinion, NBN News’ current theme music is still far better than TCN’s) but NBN’s coverage of local news, sports & weather for the Newcastle/Hunter market seems to be fairly decent for the most part. It’s just a pity we can’t say the same about the quality of NBN News in some other sub-markets, namely the Central & Gold Coasts!

1 Like

Yes, Kate Haberfield presented sport tonight.

Yes, local content for Newcastle is pretty reasonable when you take into account weekends.

Which it needs to be given there’s no other choice.

At least those further north do have an alternative in Prime7.

Central Coast viewers are being shafted -
with probably the worst coverage of local news across all 3 regionals in all of the aggregated markets

2 Likes

I agree. Considering that Seven & Nine at least have their 5.30pm bulletins for the Gold Coast, I’d probably go as far as saying that the NSW Central Coast has the worst local news coverage (at least as far as TV is concerned) of any major regional area of Australia.

Sure, the Sydney stations usually pick up on major Central Coast stories worthy of statewide/national coverage but from what I’ve seen in recent years, NBN could be doing a far better job at covering the type of stories that TCN (or the others) would never touch but are still relevant/important to locals.

2 Likes

Kate Haberfield does Sport on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays now, replacing Samuel Djodan who has moved on.

2 Likes

A graphic I didn’t expect to see on NBN News tonight.

Interestingly the accompanying report had the “Amelia Adams, NBN News”’ tacked on.

The accompanying description to the graphic said “we’ll cross to the Royal Baby coverage later tonight”, no mention of NBN or Nine.

A total branding shemozzle.

4 Likes

Advertising the election coverage with Nine News logo and “only on Nine” said by Julie Bishop.

5 Likes

Jane Goldsmith and Lauren Drinkwater Interviewed behind the scenes at the Stars of Newcastle.

Jane Goldsmith & Lauren Drinkwater Interview

1 Like

Some very grainy YouTube footage of former NBN newsreader Jodi McKay was used on Nine News Sydney tonight (couldn’t they have asked NBN for a better copy?) in relation to her ascension to Labor leader.

They referred to her as “NBN newsreader”, which was good to hear. Shame that NBN News isn’t as keen to make similar references to its parent bulletin.

4 Likes

This where they took it from:

5 Likes

Well done!

1 Like

NBN crossed live to the Logies. Mia Glover could have at least said “Back to you Jane” at the end to make more personal.

3 Likes

That’s interesting, was there any interaction between Jane and Mia?

1 Like

She was also live on 9 News Brisbane

5 Likes
2 Likes

I’m susrprised they didn’t make stronger references to her NBN history there.

Didn’t know she was from Gloucester either (which is Prime7 territory).

2 Likes

She was no Melinda Smith. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes