NBN News

An odd, and half failed, attempt at dubbing out a Nine News sign off tonight.

They successfully dubbed out “Sophie Walsh” but the “Nine News” that follows was heard.

A “Nine News Exclusive” bug was also prominent during the report.

Bizarre.

1 Like

NBN News tonight during the Central Coast local news window covered a cannabis bust at a place called Jiggi.

There was no mention of where Jiggi was, as I’ve heard of most Central Coast locations, but not this one.

So I just looked on Google Maps, turns out that it is 20 km north west of Lismore, or a good 700 km north of the Central Coast!

Shouldn’t NBN be expected to provide a better description of such a location when it’s not a local town, otherwise viewers may be drawn into assuming it’s a local?

Oh geez, that’s pretty bad!

At the very least, surely NBN News could use more stories from Nine Sydney as fillers during the Central Coast windows if there aren’t enough local reports that day? At least TCN reports would be a little (with an emphasis on little - I know there might be residents on the Central Coast who don’t want anything to do with Sydney) more relevant since Sydney is considerably closer to the region than the NSW Far North Coast!

1 Like

Sounds like they’ve smoked some stuff out of Jiggi. :joy:

3 Likes

it’s happened a few times in the past week or so.

1 Like

Geez NBN News had some major hiccups tonight.

Stories without audio, funny crackling noise in audio and also stories cut off half way through.

I am interested to know how this affected the local windows outside of Newcastle and if everyone else had their windows played and sent off to the break smoothly.

Unfortunately, I was out tonight, but I did manage to see a full screen NBN News title card that was there for a few minutes around 6:05 to 6:10pm, right where the local window would have been.

So I’m not surprised to read your post.

I caught some of it on VAST:

6 Likes

NBN News runs well from a technical perspective nearly all of the time. A stuff up like this is very rare for them.

3 Likes

Not strictly NBN News-related but probably the best place to ask.

Is it just me or did today’s cross to Gavin Morris for the “Chat Room” segment on Nine News Now look like it was in native HD?

Of course it’s probably not a sign that NBN News is going to go HD anytime soon (IIRC, there were HD crosses to the “Chat Room” in Brisbane and the Gold Coast for ages before those local bulletins went HD), but still something interesting nonetheless because I thought NBN couldn’t output live content in HD…

1 Like

This is true.

The inexplicable outage from some years ago on a Sunday night where the screen went black for the entire bulletin is hard to top though. I can’t recall that ever happening anywhere else in Australian TV news.

NBN News’s picture quality still leaves a lot to be desired though. Doesn’t seem as though that will change until they relocate to the Newcastle CBD (if or when that is still going to happen).

1 Like

The top news story for probably every TV news bulletin in the country including NBN News tonight would’ve been Barnaby Joyce resigning as the Nationals Leader & Deputy PM.

Knowing that it’s a relatively rare instance of a major Nine News reporter being in their viewing area, I wonder if NBN News was allowed to have a rare live cross to Lane Calcutt in Armidale (like Nine News Sydney had, of course)?

1 Like

I didn’t see NBN News tonight, but NBN never have live crosses to a Nine journo any other time, so I don’t see why they would have done it tonight.

Not sure if it would have technically been possible to “pass through”’ a live cross back to Newcastle.

1 Like

Don’t know how I managed to miss this at the time, but NBN uploaded the full series of their “Your News Every Day” promos from Late 2015 (IMO, the best series of promos I’ve seen from NBN News or indeed any regional news service in recent years) in HD to their YouTube channel a few months back…

60 Second Version: Newcastle
60 Second Version: Central Coast
60 Second Version: North West
60 Second Version: Mid North Coast
60 Second Version: Far North Coast
60 Second Version: Gold Coast

Spoiler alert: Basically the same 60 Second Promo in each market, except for the local scenery at the start.

30 Second Version - Generic
30 Second Version - Paul & Tash
30 Second Version - Sport
30 Second Version - Weather
30 Second Version - Jane/Weekend News

2 Likes

Tonight on NBN News in the Central Coast local news, they aired a report from Nine News Regional!

It was from Orange, and seemed to be a generic report about getting drivers to slow down around emergency workers. Though it included references to the State Member for Orange, and an incident that occurred at nearby Lucknow. The reporter was Murray McCloskey, who was also a journo at NBN about 10 years ago. The Nine News mic flag was seen a couple of times. There was also a Prime7 Local News mic flag too.

Only 1 of the 4 reports aired tonight was local. The others were from Newcastle and Port Macquarie.

1 Like

Gee, that’s pretty bad. I wonder if at times, you’d get more locally relevant news for the Central Coast via the Sydney bulletins?

NBN News needs to lift it’s game in what is quite possibly, the most poorly served major market for news in regional Australia.

1 Like

That’s incredible.
Meanwhile on 9 News Regional in QLD, it’s very rare to find a non-local item inside the local window.

The last time I saw it occur recently here was last week, when 2 full Townsville-based stories were shown within the live/statewide segment due to their wider significance. This resulted in 1 Cairns-based story airing in the local window, but it was still highly relevant to the local region.

2 Likes

Of course they can easily do that.

They have the Telstra DVN where they can order a circuit back to TCN (or any other TV studio).

https://www.skyracing.com.au/assets/website_images/files/OB%20TECHNICAL%20PERFORMANCE%20CRITERIA%20%20DVN2%20V1%201%2020160118.pdf

Or they would have encoders/decoders over IP which would pass over their TPG fibre link.

The live shot could also be beamed onto a satellite dish and picked up back at NBN.

Many ways to do it.

It’s possible that their news workflow (LOTS of hardware and software) is all in SD. That is why they don’t produce the news in HD.

But to beam a HD signal back to TCN could be as simple as a HD camera plugged into an IP encoder or the Telstra DVN box or a satellite uplink. It doesn’t need to use their studio switcher.

Actually, NBN has a Dejero! So they could have just plugged a camera into the Dejero box and plugged that into their private network.

1 Like

This is interesting. NBN’s Sam Djodan in Sydney with a 9 News Mic flag.

I am guessing this is because they used TCN crew and didn’t send any crew from Newcastle.

6 Likes