NBN News

Has he ever presented before?

Other than reading the sport news, I don’t think he has.

1 Like

For some reason, NBN News has black bars down the side tonight… less noticeable during reports…

The ones on the studio bits are almost 14:9 size though.

1 Like

NBN did a combined weather report tonight.
They listed Applethorpe in the Southern Downs QLD region for the “Today” temps. :eyes:

They also got the regions a bit muddled for the 7 day forecast temps.

They put Newcastle and Tamworth on the same screen, but then Gosford and Coffs Harbour on the next?
At least Lismore and the Gold Coast were on the same screen.

1 Like

NBN News was probably a combined bulletin for all six regions tonight?

Sounds quite messy, although they are to be commended for continuing to produce a bulletin on Christmas Day when they can easily just relay Nine News Sydney.

5 Likes

Yes, it was a combined bulletin, the second or third story in was captioned “Hunter Christmas” and was
about meals being served to the homeless in Newcastle (which they cover every year). It was the only local report in the bulletin, and was shown throughout the entire broadcast area.

Tyson Cottrill did news, sport and weather.

1 Like

Montage:

8 Likes

A little late, this was on 13th December last year…

27 pm

2 Likes

I just saw what I can only describe as a hybrid report. It was a 9 News report (no end tag, with 9news.com.au flag on the reporter’s mic), but within the NBN broadcast area (Tuncurry), and parts with a NBN News Exclusive bug on it (didn’t look like a cover up). Strange. I forgot who the reporter was.

2 Likes

NBN sometimes cover up the 9 News Exclusive with one of their own on the 9News reports, sometimes there is also a dubbed over NBN News end tag, sometimes none at all.

1 Like

That report just aired on Nine News Sydney.

The reporter was Elise Baker, and she was on the scene, the report was also in HD which NBN News can’t do.

There was only the one scene (below) where the Nine News Exclusive bug was used. This was probably where NBN put their own coverup.

2 Likes

Here’s the story as it aired on NBN News

1 Like

Ah, ok. The way they brought it in didn’t look like a cover-up. Maybe they edited it in rather than superimposing it live.

2 Likes

Nine reporter Tim Davies referred to Jane in his Ausgrid cross tonight. Seems pretty rare for NBN newsreaders to get any acknowledgement from Nine reporters.

4 Likes

Renee Feder is leaving NBN News:

If I’m not mistaken, Renee was NBN News’ longest serving reporter having joined them in 2011 as a news reporter for Taree and later Newcastle. She was also the presenter of the short lived locally produced children’s program “So There” (I think that was the name of the show anyway) for GO! via NBN in 2015.

No idea if this is connected, but I do know that Georgia Maher recently became a reporter for NBN News in Newcastle with Charmaine Mifsud taking her spot in Taree. Seems that NBN News reporters moving from Taree to Newcastle might be relatively common, because Tahlia Sarv also did that last year.

2 Likes

Yes, usually TO Newcastle and not from… When they leave Newcastle, it’s also usually out of NBN altogether.

1 Like

On Nine News News Sydney tonight they had a headline item - “Nine News reporter Damian Ryan caught up in the South Korean riots”

But on NBN News, no such headline item, and even when the report gets aired at 6:20pm, they do not even mention Damian Ryan.

Funny that.

4 Likes

NBN have always been like that with news.

Their cover ups and the lengths they go to to blot out evidence of Nine News branding (eg. cutting out or even dubbing over reporter sign offs with one of their own) makes WINs efforts look very tame.

But with general sports programming, NBN have always done pretty much the opposite.

So weird.

Something you don’t see very often these days on any news bulletin.

A reporter using a discreet clip on microphone.

I much prefer this arrangement - looks much neater and more hi-tech than a clunky hand held microphone that most reporters are told to use these days.

Of course it’s yet another opportunity to shove another logo in our faces to “brand”’ the bulletin.

But it’s ironic that it’s NBN News that has done this here, since they have been using the hand held ones for as long as I can remember - other stations only started this practice sometime in the 00s.

3 Likes

Mitch Hughes turned 40 this week!