NBN News

NBN’s graphics are a mess with the combination of the old lower thirds (which is looking quite dated by now) and the new titlecards. It should be either one or the other, not both. Looks a bit like Seven News in the 2012-2016 era :confused: .

4 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see if NBN News actually gets a completely new set or just another heavy refresh of the set they’ve used since 2002.

Graphics wise, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are updated to the newer style Nine News graphics (excluding the titlecard & associated transition graphics, which have already changed over) but with an NBN News logo.

One would imagine that the theme music of NBN News will most likely remain unchanged, since the current version is only a few years old.

HD production probably won’t happen before the CBD move happens, although maybe NBN could surprise us.

As they said on Twitter last week, NBN News prides itself on objectivity and impartiality…except when it comes to the Knights (and the Jets too, I would imagine)! :wink:

5 Likes

This suggests new: “The current set, which includes a large image of Australia in shades of blue, is being replaced and the newly-constructed desk and backdrop are located opposite.”

3 Likes

Though the Gold Coast Titans and Central Coast Mariners are rival teams that also exist within the NBN footprint, so they can’t afford to be too Newcastle parochial to the wider market.

There have been times in the past where they’ve said things like “Go the Knights” or what a good day they had at the Broadmeadow (Newcastle) races with their banter in the generic closer of the bulletin.

3 Likes

Yep, I completely agree.

If the Knights & Titans and/or the Jets & Mariners ever face each other in a Grand Final or another strategically important game (like an elimination final) in the future, it’ll certainly be very interesting to see how NBN News handles it’s On-Air banter.

2 Likes

The Jets and Mariners DID play each other in a Grand Final in 2008.

I didn’t see the bulletin the night before, BUT the night after the Grand Final, the Jets win was the lead story and it was pretty Newcastle centric…

3 Likes

@MarkHD Would it be possible to provide a photograph of the article for non-Novocastrians to view? Sounds very interesting… Would also love to hear more about the studio relocation.

2 Likes

I looked for the article online but couldn’t find it. My scanner’s on the blink but I’ll try and do it from work this week sometime.

2 Likes

That’s a way to hype up those media guys wondering what happened to NBN after the SCA-Nine deal at the expense of Darwin’s production team.

11 Likes

Ps. This thread can’t disappear and merge into “Nine News Regional”… I think that topic should stay with SCA owned stations. And this one be re-named “Nine News (NBN)” or “Nine News NNSW” once they relaunch

9 Likes

I don’t think so. NBN has been challenged for years after becoming a Nine-owned station. As what some of us thought of, the closure of the Darwin Production Team makes this thread at risk of becoming a victim of the Southern Cross-Nine deal. This would mean that Nine News Darwin topics would be merged to the Nine News Regional thread, and so do NBN News if Nine chooses to end its 50+ year history of NNSW-produced news.

3 Likes

My understanding is that having a distinct thread on MediaSpy was the main justification in deciding to continue production in Newcastle. They were ready to close up and shift to Sydney before that was pointed out to the execs.

23 Likes

We should have then had separate Prime7 and WIN threads for each market to help those bulletins being locally produced too!

:smile:

2 Likes

It’s a wonder that Nine Gold Coast News is still on air without its own Media Spy thread :slight_smile:

9 Likes

“only a few years old”

Don’t forget they went through three different openers in 2016!

2 Likes

Recycled Nine News Sydney set.

17 Likes

premier

Who wrote this, a 12 year old? They forgot an ‘e’

5 Likes

It’s the old 9 news desk

We like the red and blue theme 😊 https://t.co/zlJRUOdXKh

— Newcastle Knights (@NRLKnights) August 7, 2017
4 Likes

OK, so it’s a recycled Nine News set.

But I’m sure most NBN News viewers who aren’t that familiar with the old sets from Nine News in Sydney or Brisbane will find it to be a refreshing change after so many years of the heavily modified and 15 year old “blue overload” set.

Even if it’s slightly outdated by metro standards, surely this is still better than what Prime7, WIN or even Nine News in the other East Coast regional markets are using as news sets right now?

11 Likes