NBN News

How is NBN News looking tonight on ch 80?

1 Like

1 Like

Yep…that’s definitely upconverted SD!

NBN News now has an “NBN Live” title card

2 Likes

I understand it’s tricky to see but if anyone happens to catch this “NBN Live” title card record and/or screenshot it that’d be great. Posting it here would be the most appropriate place.

1 Like

NBN didn’t have a watermark on their 6pm news tonight, except for the pre-recorded local windows (Central Coast did at least).

1 Like

had the usual watermark here right through in the Hunter - also going to ad breaks now has "FOR MORE NEWS nbnnews.com.au with the little square Nine News graphic.

2 Likes

That’s odd… I was watching via Central Coast.
I thought the watermark issue would have affected all markets.

watermark was on from the commencement of the opener, which covered part of the headlines super.

NBN Live titlecard

3 Likes

Thanks for those caps, CQ!

I am disappointed that NBN hasn’t done more to transition news to the Nine branding as yet.

Short of doing a full rebrand, they could have done some simple and inexpensive things like eg. no cover ups of the “First On Nine” supers, airing the original Nine News reporter sign offs, having local reporters sign off with “9NBN News” or even just “Nine News”. Also on the network bulletins, the 9 News logo cover ups could have been removed as well.

And in motion

3 Likes

Hmmmmm, not great. Needs some sound effects feels really flat without them. You can tell NBN talent like Natasha is not used to live crosses - she looks off camera rather than too camera.

Also, the open to the news is pretty flat and boring. Only 2 stories and a sport story. Feels like they might want to add at least 2 more in there. And more interesting stories.

And considering this bulletin goes live across the whole Northern NSW market, I think they should ID Lake Macquarie as a city near Newcastle - or a Newcastle suburb. People in taree, Lismore etc don’t know where Lake Macquarie is.

Fair enough to lead with a Newcastle story as its the biggest city in the market. But I think they need 2 more stories in that opener.

Darwin does it better with 5 stories 9 News Darwin

I agree with all of that - except that I think are too many Newcastle items in the headlines that are not relevant to other viewers.

I remember when aggregation first began, they used to say “Lake Macquarie near Newcastle” but I think this led to negative feedback from local viewers, so they dropped the “near Newcastle” bit… But they still do that for other towns that are well known locally eg. “Singleton in the Hunter Valley”

Just one of the downsides of trying to cover 6 different regions in with the one “base” bulletin.

Opener varies depending on the night. I’ve seen 5 headlines feature but its normally four. The voiceover also changes depending on who presents the lead story.

1 Like

I think are too many Newcastle items in the headlines that are not relevant to other viewers.

I remember when aggregation first began, they used to say “Lake Macquarie near Newcastle” but I think this led to negative feedback from local viewers, so they dropped the “near Newcastle” bit… But they still do that for other towns that are well known locally eg. “Singleton in the Hunter Valley”

Just one of the downsides of trying to cover 6 different regions in with the one “base” bulletin.

The 5-6 stories in the headline opener should be stories of broad appeal to all viewers in Northern NSW, that is: national stories, NSW state stories and any local market stories big and important enough to interest all NBN viewers (floods, shark attacks, state politics etc)

Newcastle centric stories should go in the live local Newcastle window portion of the broadcast.

well bugger me!

NBN now using the 9 News opener graphics with NBN News theme.

I Kid You Not.

4 Likes

Presumably, a NBN News version of this?

If so, that sounds great! :smile:

As far as the theme music of NBN News is concerned, I say keep the current version until Nine News gets a new theme. Personally, I think that going from the current 2014 music to Nine’s 2008 theme would be a big downgrade for NBN!

1 Like

yes but the 3 headlines were done in 10 seconds flat, then back to the full screen graphic with “This is NBN News with Paddy Kilmurray and Natasha Beyersdorf”

2 Likes

and a transition coming out of break, I’ll capture the next one