NBN News

If recent plans for the future of the 9 news Darwin is anything to go by, it’s more likely than not that the NBN / 9 news NNSW bulletins will eventually be shifted to Sydney.

Nothing’s been confirmed other than they will be moving. Nothing has been confirmed as to location or facilities, although Honeysuckle has been rumoured.

[quote=“Nick, post:567, topic:225”]
Even the metro Gold Coast 30-min bulletin isn’t produced at QTQ-9.
[/quote]The control room, and therefore at least some production is run out of QTQ, although yes, presentation is done from the Gold Coast.

2 Likes

Unlike Darwin with its population equivalent to the largest QLD markets, NNSW is similar to the metro markets at 2.1m which is on-par with Perth, and larger than Adelaide’s 1.5m. Newcastle-based NNSW bulletins would be far more sustainable than a respective Darwin-based bulletin.

But yes, TCN-9’s new premises do, sadly, indicate a shift to Sydney for NNSW.

1 Like

The largest regional QLD markets are around the 300-400k mark for population, while Darwin’s market is only 130k. Definitely not equivalent at all. In fact, regional QLD’s smallest market is significantly larger than Darwin’s at 195k.

3 Likes

Yes, the NNSW market is a significant size. However, from Nine’s perspective, the NBN News service is just another regional news service they’re providing.

Once QLD has fully launched, they’ll be using the same standard regional news presentation across 4.51 million residents across Regional QLD, SNSW and VIC, so I don’t see the 2.1 million in NNSW being immune from the same treatment.

3 Likes

Which in reality is more like 1.3 million potential viewers when you exclude the significant overlap at both ends of the NNSW market.

3 Likes

If production of NBN News does get moved to Sydney, the Newcastle flavour of the generic component of the bulletin will probably become a thing of the past.

I say this as I saw the last 20 minutes of the Mid North Coast tonight whilst in Port Macquarie and I heard them mention Newcastle no less than 4 times in that period. Two of these were Newcastle related sports reports.

3 Likes

Not to mention that the ad revenue from the NNSW is nowhere near as much as ANY metro market.

5 Likes

NBN News just played a promo from Paul Lobb about what’s coming up on tomorrow’s news - a story about someone who’s lost his licence until the year 3001… looked a lot like the promos we get up here on the weekends for 7 News Sydney’s Monday bulletin. Never seen it before!

4 Likes

That is also airing on Nine Sydney.

2 Likes

I saw a new reporter (Jacinta Lee) on NBN News Central Coast last night, but I suspect that she may have been sent down from Newcastle to help out Sarah El-Mosehli, who I think is the only full time NBN News reporter there at the moment.

The reason I say this is that Jacinta filed 2 reports last night. One being a local Central Coast item about an Erina Heights photographer, but the other one was from 4 hours away up on the Barrington Tops. They would have to have been recorded on different days.

1 Like

yeah they moved former NEWFM newsreader Meredith Gibbs back up to Newcastle.

Jacinta is based on the CC.

Thanks… odd that she did a report on the Barrington Tops then?

You’d think they’d get a Newcastle or Taree reporter to do that…

Ever wondered how the news gets made? Or where news stories come from? Find out what goes on when a news bulletin is put together, in this week’s #NBNNews podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/nbnnews/podcast-250717

2 Likes

There was only 1 local news report on NBN News Central Coast tonight.

That item was introduced by Paul Lobb which included the phrase “right here on the Central Coast”… I would think any Central Coaster that watches NBN News would know Paul isn’t based on the Coast.

1 Like

People are gullible and believe anything if it comes from their television.

5 Likes

Gavin Morris will be LIVE from the NBN studios “In the chat room” On Channel 9

9 Likes

Very interesting. Possibly the first time that an NBN News presenter (although to be fair, Gavin Morris also presents the weather for the Southern NSW/ACT regional editions of Nine News) has entered “The Chat Room” on Nine News Now?

3 Likes

It took him 8 years to achieve that goal? :flushed:

4 Likes

Not really sure that I would call a one-off chat room appearance at 3:45pm as a “return to national television”.

He would have been better off missing his cue and then swearing if he wanted national coverage :wink:

5 Likes