NBN News

Sam Djodan from NBN News performing at Stars of Newcastle 2017.

That would be the first step

3 Likes

Good to see that NBN News have finally updated their Update Endtags. The old ones had been in use since 2011! :open_mouth:

Also, rather interesting to see (or more to the point, hear) them using Phil Baildon for the voiceover. I wonder if NBN have switched to him for the Openers as well?

2 Likes

Geez, with those outdated supers, national bulletin coverups and non-standard update enders, you wouldnā€™t think that NBN is a Nine O&O stationā€¦

If they at least let the Nine brand shine through on the national bulletins, it will be an easier transition for the 6pm bulletin when they ditch the NBN brand for good.

6 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing this locally made documentary from NBN. http://www.9nbn.com.au/content/2017-Days-of-the-Knights

After hearing that Nine Darwin is substantially cutting back itā€™s news operations, Iā€™m now seriously wondering if NBN News will eventually face a similar fate at some point in the future.

While I probably wouldnā€™t go quite as far as saying that Nine would completely end production in Newcastle and present all the bulletins out of Sydney, I do think they might try and ā€œstreamlineā€ their Northern NSW news operations with what the other regional areas (Regional QLD/NT, Southern NSW/ACT, Victoria) are doing when the studio move happens. As part of such a streamlining process, unfortunately I could see important elements of the NBN News identity like the weekend bulletins and the dual presenter format on weeknights coming to an end.

And yes Iā€™m well aware that the Northern NSW aggregated TV market is substantially larger than the Darwin TV market is (along with NBN News being a top rating service in most parts of the viewing area), but itā€™s still a thought worth pondering when you consider what Nine have done with regional news in the other aggregated regional TV markets on the East Coast.

Of course I could (and in this instance, hope to be) proven wrong but in any case, I think itā€™s something worth having a discussion over and Iā€™d certainly be rather interested to hear what others think.

7 Likes

I reckon itā€™s already being quietly trialed - for the past few weeks weā€™ve only had dual anchors on a few weekday bulletins. The rest of the time it was just Natasha or Paul, with sport anchor and weatherman. Last night it was just Lobbyā€¦ a couple of weeks ago it was just Natasha for 2 weeks. Even when one has gone on leave previously, weā€™ve had Jane Goldsmith or Chris White fill-in.

The camera angles are weird when itā€™s done too.

Letā€™s be honest - weekends would be NO loss, thereā€™s SFA local news on them.

Thereā€™s not many local Newcastle reporters left either - I can think of 4 who have left recently with only 1 new one - Alex Heinke.

7 Likes

There have been comments on MS that NBN News would never be moved from Newcastle. Itā€™s now more likely youā€™d think, particularly as NBN will be moving. Why would Nine go to the expense of building a new studio in Newcastle when the news could be done from Sydney.

1 Like

If the NBN News throwback videos from Facebook were a sign, I think quality regional news for Nine will be killed by SCA themselves. NNSW will be infected by those ā€œAldi Promotionsā€ dressed as exclusive reports; and I bet Vanessa would be the weeknight presenter for the main news. I would also be surprised if NBN is sold to Southern Cross and make it like everywhere in the East Coast.

See how the post-aggregation arena went down to the wire for consolidation and streamlining. Take for instance GMA News in my country, wherein they expanded local news for the 2013 Congressional Elections; yet axed them all over by Summer of 2015 (except the half-hour weeknight bulletins in Dagupan, Cebu and Davao). GMAā€™s reason: STREAMLINING REGIONAL OPERATIONS FOR INCREASED RATINGS AND REVENUE. Such a disappointment for regional support.

Thatā€™s a good point, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s someone at nine crunching the numbers over this scenario. It would save/ cut a lot of costs if the production could be moved to Sydney.

From what Iā€™ve read on this forum regarding NBN news there doesnā€™t seem to be much local news stories on there anyway so maybe it would be feasible to utilise the existing SNSW bulletin and insert local news stories like all other markets. You wouldnā€™t have an ideal news bulletin but from what ive seen thatā€™s not really Nineā€™s goal with these regional bulletins and it would be dirt cheap :wink:

Otherwise I could see Newcastle continue being a NNSW hub and a new site for NBN would have a small space/broom cupboard for the plasma set Nine regional uses and the bulletins would be produced in the same way other regional services are.

2 Likes

I think this is what will happen.

I canā€™t see Vanessa presenting NNSW as well, that would be a total of 10 windows that would need to be pre-recorded, which i think is too many.

The other likely option I can see is that NNSW presentation is moved to Sydney and Paul or Natasha move there and present that.

And I think weekend news will go at some point in the near future

6 Likes

Who knows? Nine might make the impossible possible.

I definitely think that the NNSW presentation and production will eventually be shifted to Sydney once TCN moves into its new premises. Im sure Nine would ensure there was enough space to accommodate all the bulletins and the equipment to handle it in anticipation of such a scenario.

5 Likes

The original plans for Nineā€™s new building showed 7 studios on the news floor, in addition to the large production studio, so Iā€™d say thereā€™s a good chance theyā€™ll have the capacity to do National, Sydney Metro, SNSW and NNSW bulletins all out of Sydney.

6 Likes

Gee, sports readers are getting younger and younger these daysā€¦ Jane Goldsmith and son James reading the news tonight. :slight_smile: And Mitch Hughes doesnā€™t look too happy about being replaced! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: #bringyoursontoworkday https://www.facebook.com/nbntelevision/posts/10155582318623331

1 Like

Wasnā€™t there talk of NBN moving to a new studio in Newcastle? If thatā€™s still going ahead, then why would they then move the bulletin to Sydney?

Hopefully Sydneyā€™s new premesis will have bigger-than-a-broom-cupboard studios for the regional bulletins; Gold Coast sized or slightly larger at bare minimum.

1 Like

Because it would be cheaper than having to accomodate a news studio in the new building.

2 Likes

And it fits with Nineā€™s recent moves to centralise, especially 9News Darwin moving to Brisbane.

Itā€™s a big shame that existing local news is being centralised (Darwin at least makes some sense as the market size cannot sustain the current news format). Yes, the capital cities have the money and resources. Even if NBN moved to premesis with two medium-small studios for NNSW and SNSW bulletins, no-one understands local news better than locals.

Even the metro Gold Coast 30-min bulletin isnā€™t produced at QTQ-9.

2 Likes