NBN News

Looks like it. Heading to Cairns, based on the hashtag used!

1 Like

How come NBN News still doesn’t have the new graphics package? All they have is the new opener. It shouldn’t be that hard to create a new NBN News coverup (like the Gold Coast has) to go with the graphics package. Even the regional bulletins have the new graphics package…

NBN News also has their transition graphics in the current Nine News style. But yeah, still plenty of older look elements in use.

I can only guess that NBN News is currently running an older/less powerful graphics system compared to Nine News elsewhere. Also with a studio move for Newcastle not overly far off the horizon, local management probably felt that it wasn’t worth doing a full upgrade of the system when they’d only be using it for a year or less.

3 Likes

Safe assumption. Even Brisbane needed upgrades for the latest relaunch.

3 Likes

9 Likes

If Nine were smart, with this whole re-try at the NBN rebrand, they could alter the VO to “this is Nine’s NBN News”

For news, they could change the opening VO to “this is Nine’s NBN News…” but keep the current NBN logo. When they update their graphics, they can use a coverup that transitions between “9 News” and “NBN News” logos (simiar to the afternoon “9 News/9 at 4pm” logo).

Then after the move, change it to localised Nine News openers, but keep the “this is Nine’s NBN News” VO. Several months later, finally retire the NBN name in full.

Or they could do something similar to Nightline “From Nine News this is NBN News…”

Just doesn’t have the same ring to it unlike From National Nine News, this is NBN News. :frowning:

Doesn’t really roll of the tongue through, does it?

2 Likes

Personally, I would probably pull the trigger on the Nine News branding for Northern NSW when the studio move happens. That would probably be the best way to make major changes without upsetting too many parochial Novocastrians.

I’d also back up the changes with a major promotional campaign, perhaps something among these lines:

Obviously other markets would have their own versions of the promo which are less Newcastle/Hunter-centric, but I think you get the general idea. I can just imagine the footage, graphics, music and powerful emotive voiceovers that would be used in such promos right now.

4 Likes

The shortest names I can think of that make some sense are

NBN Nine News
Nine NBN News
Nine News NBN

The last one matches other branding like “Nine News Gold Coast, Nine News Sydney etc” but probably diminishes the NBN brand the most.

Perhaps introduce the news with v/o NBN Nine News but use the title card of other markets (obviously not with the Melbourne backdrop :slight_smile: .)

6 Likes

I’m trying to sync the possible script you have with the Nine News Sydney’s 1 minute promo last January. The background music would be best suited with. I’m imagining the likes of that promo to NBN.

Exactly. Up until the move, merge the two brands as Nine’s NBN News, then after the move only use Nine News.

TV nerds of Media Spy land, you should all bid on the NBN News: Behind The Scenes Tour. :wink:

3 Likes

They could first stop covering up Nine’s branding:
Stop covering up the 9News logo in the national bulletins, and
in the NBN News 18:00 bulletin don’t cover up ‘First on 9News’/‘Exclusive’ on the reports from the network, & then leave the reporters’ “… 9News” voice over at the end of national reports.

It would provide a gradual transition to 9News branding (getting viewers used to it) and it’s in-line with the channel’s current co-branding hodge-podge.

2 Likes

That’s what I mean, stop covering up the Nine News brand on the national/state bulletins, but for the 6pm bulletin use a graphic that transitions between “9News” and “NBN News”.

2 Likes

I can’t believe the June 2007 Hunter Storms were 10 years ago.
Here are the retrospective reports from last night and tonight on NBN News.
https://www.facebook.com/nbntelevision/videos/10155463920933331/

https://www.facebook.com/nbntelevision/videos/10155464596903331/

1 Like

Thanks, I haven’t seenNBN News in the last couple of nights.

I hope these retro pieces on the storms were in addition to the 6 mins of local news we normally get…

1 Like

This was just posted on Facebook.

Jane Goldsmith is hosting the Stars of Newcastle this year (Live Stream)

And Sam Djordan will be dancing.

2 Likes