NBN News

What TV.Cynic said… just to clarify, the Gold Coast is in a unique position where it gets both metro broadcasts from Brisbane (but slightly different to allow for the GC news bulletins as any related programming shifts) as well as regional broadcasts from Northern NSW (with the Gold Coast being one of the local variations of those broadcasters).

This gives them as Channel list of:
LCN 1/10 Ten Brisbane
LCN 2 ABC
LCN 3 SBS
LCN 5 Southern Cross Ten - Gold Coast
LCN 6 Prime7 - Gold Coast
LCN 7 Seven Brisbane (Gold Coast variation)
LCN 8 NBN - Gold Coast
LCN 9 Nine Brisbane (Gold Coast variation)

3 Likes

That seems rather stupid that they do it though… doesn’t that mean that there pretty much competing against eachother even though they are affiliates? what is the point of this?

Goes back to the days of aggregation. NRTV (NRN-11 Coffs Harbour/RTN-8 Lismore) was relayed into the Gold Coast in the early 80’s. Brisbane channels also broadcast into Gold Coast.

When aggregation was bought in the early 90’s NRTV became an affiliate of Ten. Prime (Seven) and NBN (Nine) were also allowed to enter the Gold Coast market.

Perhaps NRTV should have been paid off to stop their re-broadcast in the early 90’s but didn’t happen.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess it’s the legacy of their operations before NBN was bought by Nine Entertainment.

I guess it doesn’t cost much to keep NBN News the way it is up there… All of the reports pretty much come from Nine Gold Coast News, the core of NBN News already exists for other markets, so all they have to do is get the presenters down in Newcastle to do a few intros for those reports to be used in the prerecorded windows and voila, you have a totally separate bulletin.

NBN’s entire schedule is in competition with Nine Brisbane, not just the news.

1 Like

But as long as the viewer watches either NBN or Nine, NEC has a viewer to sell to advertisers and is thus happy.

Bruce will probably pop a vessel when his ‘watermarking’ causes TEN Brisbane’s ratings to surge. Can’t wait.

3 Likes

Gold Coast isn’t unique though as Central Coast NSW and Sunshine Coast (South) are in similar positions with both metro and regional broadcasts. And similarly on the Sunshine Coast 7 Brisbane and 7QLD are in competition and with common ownership.

Or leave the Gold Coast as a regional area & get rid of the Metro Stations :wink:

Is that you Bruce? :wink:

(Nah, as if he’d have told one of his minions to post that here.)

2 Likes

I know that (y) I was just giving the pot a stir :wink:

1 Like

But it is the only area where networks offer local programming in their metro service.

Not entirely. Both the metro and regional signals are broadcast locally into these areas. For example, Mt Tambourine broadcasts both the metro and regional signals - so the licenses areas could be altered to remove the overlap, meaning that any resulting overlap would be purely fortuitous.

2 Likes

You’d have broadcasters queueing up for compensation or be taking you to court for that.

I’m not saying that it should or would happen - just that it’s technically possible.

NBN News have started using their Instagram again.

1 Like

They can’t because the Gold Coast is only 75 km from the Brisbane CBD. Easier said but very difficult to implement.

They really need to change the name of their Facebook page
"NBN Television" doesn’t exist as a brand anymore.
Pretty much everything on air is supposed to be “Nine” or “NBN News”.

1 Like

3 Likes

NBN News haven’t done a cover up for the Nine News logo on the Villers Bretonneux Dawn service currently on air, yet the EPG says it’s an “NBN News Special”, but then in the program description on the EPG it says “Join Nine News…”

Consistency in branding has never been their strong point.

2 Likes

I think that we will have to wait until all the new regional bulletins are established before Nine will finally change NBN News to Nine News and localise the names of each bulletin.

1 Like

I hope you’re right, in that this means it would happen sooner rather than later, as there has been speculation that the rebranding of NBN News wouldn’t occur until they relocate to new premises in the Newcastle CBD (for which we don’t know when that will be).

1 Like