NBN News

No date yet; it’s pending approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board (presumably because of WIN’s owner residing in Bermuda).

1 Like

Thanks!

Never did I really think I’d see NBN (albeit as Nine) vs WIN up here… so it’s going to be a reality - most likely.

If anyone had said that to me even 2 years ago, I would have laughed.

3 Likes

NBN definitely don’t give a toss what goes into their Gold Coast windows.

News window had some stories lifted from Nine Gold Coast News, something about a youth activity in Port Macquarie and something about a charity in Newcastle.

Sports window had 1 Suns story from Nine Gold Coast News, a roundup of Far North Coast Rugby League (ex-Lismore) and some sports event near Taree.

Playoff to Weather was some roadside shots of Clunes (between Byron Bay and Lismore). Nothing Gold Coast related.

Weather was local even though there’s references about the “Gold Coast” and “Coolangatta”. Coolangatta is a Gold Coast City suburb!

3 Likes

Central Coast is a similar story, only about half the content in the windows is local, the rest is from Newcastle or further north.

It looks to me like they only have 2 journalists down there (on weeknights, one does news and the other does sport) and each have to work 6 day weeks so they have at least 1 local item to air each day.

3 Likes

Reading that it sounded like it was implying some sort of theft, but Nine can’t steal from Nine (even if it’s for a bulletin branded NBN News).

I’d say Gold Coast currently has no actual NBN journalists or stringers filing exclusively for NBN News (yes, was different for many years). Nine’s local journalists are filing for Nine bulletins. NBN just recycles whatever they can. I’m not sure where the windows would be compiled? Lismore? Newcastle?

It’s like, why bother? Wouldn’t it be more profitable just to repeat Nine Gold Coast News at 6 or 6.30? At least it’s more relevant than random stories from Newcastle and Port Macquarie.

Yep, true. Was just trying to differentiate where the window content comes from.

If anything they could easily just used stories from the Gold Ovast bulletin for the local window. Surely they could get 8 minutes or however long it is out of that and it would give them a bit of consistency. Realistically NBN shouldn’t be showing any GC stories that don’t go into the 5.30 bulletin and anything that makes the 5.30 bulletin should be suitable for NBN GC.

3 Likes

The journos up there file for both but there’s more focus on the Nine bulletin obviously.

I wonder if they are doing one live bulletin tonight in all areas with no local windows just like they did on Christmas Day last year?

1 Like

Sorry for dumb question but can someone explain to me the difference between Nine Gold Coast News and NBN Gold Coast window?

As far as I’m aware…

*Nine Gold Coast News is a full live and local 30 minute bulletin which airs at 5.30pm, before the main Nine News Queensland bulletin at 6pm. To accommodate the local news, Hot Seat airs at 4.30pm on Channel Nine Gold Coast with a special farewell to local viewers on Nine Live Queensland (formerly the Queensland edition of Nine’s Afternoon News).
*NBN News Gold Coast is presented entirely from Newcastle, NSW. The bulletin consists of pre-recorded windows for local news/sport/weather and live (on an hour delay during DST) segments for national/international news.

3 Likes

And NBN News runs from 6pm to 7pm.

3 Likes

It looks like NBN will be airing the Newcastle Dawn Service again on ANZAC Day (in all NBN markets).

They did this last year as well.

The line up for NBN and Nine for the time attached:

4 Likes

I can understand them airing the Newcastle Dawn service for the Hunter region (and I applaud them for doing that), but I really think they would be better off relaying the Sydney service to the rest of Northern NSW.

The Hunter River Lancers always had a strong relationship with most of Northern NSW so I don’t see a problem with it to be honest

1 Like

…and we are talking about 5am in the morning, hardly primetime.

I do wonder how NBN is going to go into Today from 6am though.

1 Like

Don’t they do a headline opener on the hour?

Fantastic to see them doing this with a local dawn service.
It’s a pity we don’t see more of it, honestly.

7 QLD is big on community events, etc. so I’m surprised they don’t do this here themselves.
I was at the main Townsville ANZAC Dawn service last year, and they had about 10-20 cameras (including cameras with people in cherry pickers) recording and showing the ceremony live on the big screens around the venue. So it’s logistically possible.

1 Like

So Gold Coast do not get 9 News Queensland, they get NBN at 6?

Gold Coast gets 9 News Qld on 9 Brisbane (LCN 9 and 90) at 6pm and NBN news on NBN (LCN 8/80). 9 Gold Coast news is at 5.30pm only on 9 Brisbane - NBN has Hot Seat at that time; Hot Seat starts at 4.30 on the Gold Coast relay of 9 Brisbane.

1 Like