NBN News

I still have no idea why NBN News has to be called Nine News? If it’s going to need 100 promos to try and avoid confusion/negative backlash and “sell the idea that the bulletin hasn’t changed” then why re-name it?

8 Likes

Because the bunch of promos, etc. is a temporary thing just for a few weeks or so, then they can standardise on the 9News brand, stop with the silly cover-ups during the national bulletins, etc. and finally be consistent with their on-air branding (again).
The current situation (NBN News on Nine) is bizarre, and obviously can’t go on forever.

3 Likes

I would really like to see Nine blend Cool Hand Luke and the NBN theme into something refreshing that carries the gravitas of both themes. CHL hasn’t been updated since 2008, it’s time for a bit of change.

2 Likes

Some members discuss this “problem” as though there was never co-branding between NBN and Nine to begin with and that their existence together on one platform into the future is a terrible and very confusing thing for the population to deal with. I personally have no issue with a bulletin called NBN News featuring on a station branded as Nine, just like I have no issue with Prime7 Local News being on a channel branded mostly as Seven. The NBN logo has had the Nine brand in it for 24 years. Viewers would immediately identify NBN as Nine and vice-versa. Local news will always need to marketed locally, so changing the number 9 to the letters NBN on outdoor advertising is no more costly than changing the region name in the red bar underneath the logo. On the other hand, actual non-news programming benefits with national Nine marketing and branding. NBN really has the best of both worlds right now.

8 Likes

Which should mean that rebranding to 9 News shouldn’t be an issue?

For me, it would streamline the news brand across the network and also improve the quality of the NBN bulletin by ensuring consistency of branding within the news hour eg. no more questionable cover ups of reporter sign offs or “First on Nine News” bugs.

4 Likes

Had a look at the NBN News Northern NSW flood coverage tonight… This is what we got from the top of the hour with the flood coverage

• Tim Davies Nine News report from Lismore
    (with a “Tim Davies, NBN News” sign off despite him wearing a Nine News weather jacket and holding a Nine News microphone).
  • NBN News report from Leah White in Lismore
  • Tom Steinfort Nine News report from Tweed Heads (sign off as per Tim Davies)
  • Then “back to Lismore” as they said, for a prerecorded cross with Tim Davies
  • Then they said “more on the floods later in the bulletin for our Norhern Rivers viewers” (in the local window).
  • Then they covered the QLD floods.

A bit disjointed there, particularly for viewers in the flood zone.

5 Likes

I get why NBN News hasn’t changed to network branding, but not sure why they don’t localise their opener cards. Even a generic version with no local imagery, but just the red logo subline (NBN News Hunter) shouldn’t be too hard and would promote local-ness.

2 Likes

Agree, NBN should take a leaf out of Nine/SCA’s book and do localised openers

2 Likes

Mid North Coast sports window aired instead of the Gold Coast sports window tonight.

Graphic about Lower Mid North Coast Rugby League and a story about some triathlon at Coffs Harbour. My money’s on the Forster Tuncurry Hawks :wink:

2 Likes

Was NBN live to Lismore & the food zones this weekend (I mean live crosses)

1 Like

Yes, Saw the cross last night on the New England/Northwest feed so it went across the entire broadcast footprint.

Here is a new NBN News promo with footage of the recent NNSW floods.

.Terrible promo, very weak. They need to get a new marketing manager. Some clips of reporters and a VO NBN News. That’s it? Great concept. Not.

This is what happens when one player dominates the market. They become complacent and lazy with no incentive to lift their game

I actually welcome win entering Newcastle

4 Likes

Even if WIN took over TEN up here, I can’t see them launching local news bulletins.

I reckon they are struggling to keep some of the other ones going given then the lower revenue they now get from a Network TEN affiliation.

6 Likes

…and even if WIN does establish local news bulletins in Northern NSW, I can’t see them being too competitive in the ratings against NBN and Prime7.

4 Likes

Is WIN likely to keep the 2 minute noodle news updates that the Northern NSW markets get from Ten Southern Cross?

If WIN does take over TEN up here, they would be obliged to have 120 points of local content in at least (any) 4 of the 7 sub markets, be it 2 minute updates or whatever they choose to do to meet that requirement.

3 Likes

Sadly it’s not a matter of if but when… unless Ten or FIRB veto the sale, but there’s more chance of aliens invading Earth.

4 Likes

WIN will be taking over the Ten affilation in NNSW as reported last week
Southern Cross Media sells northern NSW TV operations to WIN

Ah thanks, I wasnt aware of that…

That article is pay walled… does anyone know when its scheduled to take effect?