NBN News

Point is - NBN News is the most suucessful 6pm bulletin on any Nine station. IMO it’s not going anywhere. Would be commercial suicide.

1 Like

Paul - is that you?

3 Likes

I think you mean Gavin Morris?

Garry Youngberry is the weather presenter for Nine News in Queensland

1 Like

Garry Youngberry used to be weather presenter on NBN News before Gavin Morris.

1 Like

I somewhat agree.
Strange though that you’re now advocating that they do something that would be far stupider :confused:

Exactly. It’s far from perfect but they do currently have a successful formula and they can’t afford to just throw that into the wind.

Correct, however in the post I originally quoted it was referencing Nine and NBN using Garry Youngberry as a main news reader. Garry Youngberry commenced weather duties in Brisbane in 2009.

And prior to Garry Youngberry reading weather on NBN it was Nat Jeffrey, who also had a stint presenting Today Extra (unrelated to the current version airing)

NBN reporter Claudia Vrdoljak filed a package on the 4pm news today. She did well Both mic flags appeared.

I’ll be interested to see if she makes it onto the 6pm Sydney bulletin tonight.

1 Like

As some who does get NBN News instead of 9 News Sydney, I want to ask you this:
How would channel 9 axe these bulletins? Would they move them to another city like they moved 9 Darwin News to Brisbane, and how 10 moved the Perth, Adelaide, and Queensland news to Melbourne and Sydney?

1 Like

I don’t for a moment think or propose Nine changing things in Perth and Adelaide, just trying to establish that NBN News delivers a lot of value to Nine in its current form - and if they ever were considering cuts, NBN News should be well down the list against things that perform worse and cost more.

I think one thing worth noting is that regional broadcasters have content quotas for local news, but metro broadcasters do not. They could just stop making news in Perth or Adelaide and replace with regular programming, while a reason to make NBN news is that there’s requirements to produce some form of local news in regional markets, so given they have to make something for the region, they may as well make the thing that thrashes all the competition in the timeslot.

1 Like

Only in Newcastle. Up on the North Coast and in the North West, 7 News is # 1.

IIRC:

Gold Coast: 9News (not NBN)
North Coast: 7News
Mid North Coast: 7News
North West: 7News
Newcastle: NBN News
Gosford: 9News (not NBN)
Whole market: NBN News

NBN News wins NNSW due to the high viewership in Newcastle. I would say Newcastle is the strongest market followed by the North Coast, North West, Gosford then Gold Coast.

1 Like

And also due to the higher overall population in the Newcastle / Hunter market compared to elsewhere in N.NSW.

I think I read somewhere the Northern Rivers is now more populous.

1 Like

Does that include the Gold Coast part of the NRN market though?

Tweed is a funny one I wonder what the ratings are there I wonder if more people watch the regional 7 News North Coast and NBN or if more people watch the metro 7 and 9 GC/Brisbane News. Cause in Tweed a lot of people can pick up Northern Rivers, Gold Coast, and Brisbane feeds.

1 Like

@MarkHD
Hunter Region is 775,000 people
Northern Rivers is 310,000 people

1 Like

I guess it depends on what is considered “Northern Rivers”. The RegionalTAM definition of “Northern Rivers” includes the whole former NRTV market from Coffs Harbour to the Gold Coast.

The whole Northern Rivers market under their definition is 1.064 million compared to the Newcastle market’s 842k.

But it -is- skewed by the former including the Gold Coast, and the latter doesn’t include the Gosford area (it does include Wyong). I’d say the portion of the Northern Rivers sub-markets that exist in NSW would be pretty close to the 300k you quote, and would be most relevant as most on the Queensland side would more likely be watching the local feeds of Brisbane stations.

1 Like

To prove your point about nobody on the GC watching the local GC versions of Northern NSW tv channels NBN doesn’t even have a Gold Coast bulletin on their website anymore.

2 Likes

Interesting, I wonder if that means they have gone back to airing the Northern Rivers bulletin at 6pm on the Gold Coast again?

I notice they do include the GC in the weather of the Northern Rivers bulletin nowadays I’m not sure if they have separated them I’ll have to watch both the Far North Coast and Gold Coast feeds of NBN News to find out.

2 Likes