NBN News

It was probably part of the news broadcast itself like the WWOS ones we see sometimes.

1 Like

About that area: QTQ management should’ve just quietly cancel NBN News on the Gold Coast, and relay Nine News Sydney like how Seven Regional does. That is until authorities decide on how to solve the dual metro-regional status of the GC market.

1 Like

They used to just give them the Lismore news up until like 2006 then they separated the Gold Coast and Lismore Windows but the funniest thing is that it’s no different to the Lismore window except for the weather window

1 Like

Weird for NBN. Since Nine bought the legendary NBN Television, they took advantage of repurposing Nine Gold Coast News reports as content for the opt-out, even though it’s never considered a mandatory quota sub-market.

1 Like

More people in overlap markets watch the metro channels instead of the regional channels so they figured they’d get more ratings they’ve been doing it since the mid 90’s and it’s worked

1 Like

I think you are all missing the point… if the feed is selling ads… then it will stay on air… it’s all about the revenue, not about viewer opinion.

Someone record an entire bulletin of NBN News Gold Coast and post it here, if it’s full of ads then it won’t be going anywhere.

Imagine selling that to a buyer “we play Sydney news on the Gold Coast??? Do you want to buy ads on this channel” ??? Makes no business sense whatsoever…

or

NBN News broadcasts from Newcastle to the Gold Coast, we have X viewers in each region, you can advertise in 1 region, several regions or all regions.

or

You can advertise on Channel 9 Gold Coast for $X but we have X amount of viewers who watch NBN News so you can pay an additional $X to reach these vieweres

NBN Television is a standalone business sales wise and it makes no business sense to kill off part of their business which they use to generate revenue.

Another example: Major shopping centres have GOLDMARK, PROUDS and ANGUS & COOTE stores in every centre… they are the exact same company and each of the 3 brands earns money… imagine how stupid someone would have to be killing off PROUDS which earns money because there is already a GOLDMARK and ANGUS & COOTE in the centre.

Different brands attract different people and earn money independently of each other (and even compete with each other)…

So I assume NBN News Gold Coast earns advertising revenue, so it will stay on air… if the feed can’t earn money they would have been switched off years ago.

2 Likes

There still needs to be meaningful content to attract viewers and thus advertisers.

Airing what is mostly Lismore regions / Newcastle news on the Gold Coast would not appeal to anyone on the GC.

If there are any local Gold Coast ads during the news, my guess they might well be free or low cost spots to accompany other bookings.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be Gold Coast ads… if the feed is pulling in money, then it will stay

Lets say NBN News Gold Coast Airs $8,000 worth of ads each night, why would you switch that off?

I think you’re making an assumption that it is making money, that might not necessarily be the case.

It is probably more likely that NBN can’t/won’t show the Sydney bulletin, which would surely be more attractive to viewers eg. holiday makers and Sydney ex-pats and thus advertisers. Meaning they are stuck with current arrangements.

All the Sydney packages play on NBN though.

I’m guessing you haven’t worked in media sales

If your selling an ad to NIB in Newcastle, no one there is going to say “ok i will advertise in all markets except for the Gold Coast because I believe more people watch Nine Gold Coast don’t watch NBN”

They want to be seen nationally so they will pay the Gold Coast component

Same with Toyota and anyone else who advertises, they will buy ads in each NBN market unless they are a local company.

1 Like

I think advertisers will still want to know how many people on the Gold Coast are watching. If they had a stronger / more attractive product on the Gold Coast, they could increase the ad rate and make more $$$.

So how many people are watching? Obviously people are or they won’t sell ads.

I’d like to know that too… there can’t be too many judging by the content.

Good to see some network branding on the NRL Finals coverage tonight during NBN News.

Kate Haberfield stated “and Nine is the only place you can see the finals live and free”.

A Nicole Dunn did a report on a couple of games, hadn’t heard of her before?

2 Likes

Nine logo was missing from the NBN feed for many hours this morning

4 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was most places as 9Now was the same.

3 Likes

NBN News is scheduled to start at 4:30pm today according to the guide.

But started at 4:00pm and is a one hour bulletin

(grand finals on from 5pm)

2 Likes

So much Nine News stuff leaking through tonight.

• This local weather graphic in the ad break. Im thinking this could be a mistake because the local weather didn’t play at the end of that countdown.
  • Nine logo in lower thirds
  • Nine sign offs
  • More I can’t remember

Not like it used to be when nothing slipped through

3 Likes

Or maybe, just maybe, could this be a sign of transitional branding, ie. getting viewers more used to the Nine News branding ahead of a full rebrand not too far into the distant future?

Like you said, it’s very very unusual for so many ‘mistakes’ like this to occur.

I’ll be watching tomorrow night to find out if this was just a bad night or not.

1 Like

I’ve been told they are trying to get NBN News onto 9Now as well, which would be good because when I started renovations on my home a couple of months ago, I decided to get rid of the aerial and stream everything.

4 Likes