NBC News

I remember thinking back in 2003 that Martin Place would be similar to NBC Rockefeller Plaza. Unfortunately it never really eventuated.

2 Likes

The place is too small sadly.

2 Likes

Yes, agree. It worked well for morning television but just wasn’t beneficial for other news productions.

3 Likes

In hindsight it would have been better for the News set to be on another level in the building. Keep the ground floor for morning TV IMO.

1 Like

Especially when 7 stopped using the plaza after the Sydney Siege. It was always great when they did use it.

Sad to see that the fishbowl/NBC Today type feel will be gone from Aussie TV.

5 Likes

I always thought BCM was best for national bulletins (especially with the open newsroom studio) and Martin Place was great for morning based shows with its open windows and plaza. Seven had two great facilities in 2004-2006.

3 Likes

Are they going to have a studio audience in that studio with seats?

Seriously cool. Amazing video. NBC News election night productions are epic.

4 Likes

Seven had curtailed their use of the plaza considerably before then (a lot because City of Sydney Council werent happy about its use), but the Siege really drew a line under its use

4 Likes

Which is so weird for Sydney City Council to do that given it created a bit of a tourist attraction.

Pre Sydney Siege, there was a Martin Place terrorist plot. This resulted in big concrete bollards being put up, which did not look great visually.

I remember when Sunrise used to always finish their shows outside and you would go down there and you’d be guaranteed to see them at the end of the show. Really sad that this is now gone.

There is still the option to have some sort of live scene on the new Sunrise set like ‘This Morning’ & ‘GMB’ in the UK.

5 Likes

Great coverage of the midterms they just wrapped up at 2:00AM. A Special edition of Early Today now on NBC News Now

3 Likes

4 Likes

Live studio audience for a special post-election edition of Morning Joe on MSNBC. It was absent in 2020 due to COVID

2 Likes

All of this fawning over NBC’s elaborate studio sets is gross.

1 Like

As is your grumpy attitude :innocent:
No one is asking you to participate?

8 Likes

Are you ok? This is a media discussion forum.

9 Likes

Well there you go!

1 Like

I’ve not suggested anyone not discuss. My comment was more in jest that anything NBC does graphics and set wise is heralded as the greatest invention in history here. ABC US and Fox News had arguably the best election studios.

Interesting to see and odd “video” behind Savannah during The Today Show. She was also on NBC’s election coverage until 1:30am this morning

1 Like

They use it to cover the pillar in the corner. It doesn’t quite line up in wider shot of the studio but is passable in close ups.

Left of the outside of the studio shows the polar.
Right of this image is the Pilar

5 Likes