NBC News

3 Likes

Hoda Kotb has adopted a second child, Hope Catherine.

Congrats Hoda!!

5 Likes

NBC Today has a new set at Studio 1A at 30 Rock.

3 Likes

Yes over a year ago

5 Likes
4 Likes

Video

However

2 Likes

The first Democratic debate has started on NBC News tonight

2 Likes

Just a few caps from NBC Nightly News on Monday

8 Likes

Hoda Kotb has been on maternity leave from Today for the last 4 months with no return date in sight (as yet). I’ve been reading some comments and she has been receiving some backlash with many viewers switching to GMA.

3 Likes

She phoned in around two weeks and said she wants to enjoy this time with her two adopted girls:

I do think she has been gone for a while, but NBC rushing her back when she’s not ready would not be good for them PR wise. But, this is now longer than the Couric to Vieira transition in ‘06. I would’ve thought she would’ve returned when Jenna went on maternity leave (poor thing never had a day off beforehand, unless they taped the fourth hour).

4 Likes

Back September 3rd

Feel for the producers of the Hoda & Jenna hour. First few months of a new show and both of the shows namesakes are off…

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, but I think Natalie, Willie and Sheinelle are doing a very good job holding up that show. Natalie and Willie in particular have great personalities who arguably should’ve replaced Ann Curry and Lauer back in 2012.

Meanwhile, in some other interesting news: GMA have beaten NBC Today in the demos for the first time since the end of 2015:

I wonder if the instability at the show at the moment is a turnoff.

EDIT (30.8.19): And last week too. Is this a sign of things to come? But will we see a repeat of the 2012 disaster? I love Savannah and Hoda, I hope not.

3 Likes

Both programs have become unwatchable. It amazes me that they’re still in such an intense battle for scrapes. Both shows have lost about 3 million viewers each in the last decade.

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed. NBC Today in particular has never been the same in my opinion since Curry got sacked and the 2013 relaunch which made the show more tabloid.

Here’s an article I found comparing the ratings from the 2009/10 season.
https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/morning-news/gma-only-morning-show-to-gain-total-viewers-versus-third-quarter-2009/
It’s hard to believe. GMA has been relatively stable, but NBC Today has lost 1.5 million in a decade. I think a part of this could be because of the Curry dilemma in 2012, as well as CBS This Morning and cable.

Apologies for the double post, but she’s back!:

Finally!! Great to have Hoda back!

2 Likes

Woohoo she’s a great asset to nbc . Glad she’s back. Today show isn’t the same when she’s not on. Man , can she work. To,be on air until 10am, kudos to her.:+1:

2 Likes

She does three hours on air, like hosts here, and on cable there. Not that back breaking.

1 Like

A little update on Lauer from Facebook:

I hope that creep (I could use a stronger word) never finds work again.

Jenna Bush Hager returned to NBC Today for their Halloween special and announced the date she will return to the fourth hour, which will be on November 11.

1 Like