National Nine News 1991-Late 2000

Did NBN sometimes take the newsbreaks from Melbourne?

1 Like

NBN tended to completely avoid what Nine Sydney were doing where they could help it (including taking filler stories from Melbourne rather than Sydney in their news), so I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if they did the same with newsbreaks they didn’t provide themselves.

3 Likes

Every city did on weekends, usually after the movie.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that after I posted (generally the nights where Nightline wasn’t on, which eventually extended to Fridays once Nine got the AFL) - just wasn’t sure it was as early as 1996, but I was certainly not an age where I was awake to watch TV at 10:30pm (nor would’ve I been watching it on weekends at any rate).

Of course, this could well have been leading into the late movie (my brain was thinking an 8.30 movie, but NBN would’ve surely used an “…at the movies” intro for that) which would completely validate what you’re saying. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, late night weekends were the only time I regularly saw those 5 minute ‘National Nine News’ newsbreaks on NBN in the 1990s.

Channel Nine Melbourne
23 October 1994

5 Second “Who’s Who Of News” Promo

30 Second “Who’s Who Of News” Promo

Newbreak With Peter Hitchener

4 Likes

National Nine News Sydney Gulf War Coverage - Thursday 17/1/1991

8 Likes

That reeally is a “Whos Who of News” lineup

6 Likes

From November 1993:

3 Likes

National Nine News Melbourne October 7, 1991 covering the death of Collingwood player Darren Millane

3 Likes

National Nine News Queensland - Sunday 21/9/1997 with Mike London, Samantha Kume and Chris Bombolas

Update/Promo:

Partial Bulletin:

11 Likes

National Nine News Queensland with Mike London, Heather Foord, Steve Hanndan and John Schluter - Thursday 25/2/1993

11 Likes

What was 9’s presenter line up in the 90s, in Brisbane? I feel like Mike and Bruce swapped around alot, and Heather came and went a bit??

From what I can gather:

• Bruce Paige replaced Mike London on weeknights in 1995/6 - this generated a spat between the two in 2003 which saw London resign in June that year;
  • Heather Foord briefly switched to weekends in 2002-04, so she could spend more time with her young family; she swapped with Jillian Whiting who stepped up to weeknights during this period.
  • Foord stepped down in December 2008 to host Extra, then Paige stepped down six months later. Now we have Andrew Lofthouse and Melissa Downes, who remain in their roles as of today.

When i was there in the late 90s, i think it was

Weeknights
News: Bruce Paige and Heather Foord
Sport: Chris Bombolas
Weather: John Schutler

Weekends
News: Mike London and Jillian Whiting
Sport: Steve Haddan
Weather: ? - not sure, I think Andy Phipps also did some fishing stuff too?

Heather got dumped to weekends in 1999, and Jillian elevated to weeknights in her place.

Was that maternity leave related or something?

Also I’ve seen Samantha Kume in there too, was she just a fill in?

How long did Brisbane use the newsroom set for ?

No, i don’t think it was leave related. I think i recall Heather not being happy about it, according to what i read at the time.

I think Samantha must have been a fill in. I don’t remember much about her at all, or maybe she was earlier than that (i was there 1997 to 2000). Wally Lewis also filled in on sport too.

IIRC Samantha Kume co-read Weekend Bulletins with Bruce Paige in 1994 and 1995 after both arrived from QTV. She remained in the weekend position after Bruce and Mike swapped spots in 1996 until the end of 1997. Jillian Whiting took over as weekend presenter around the start of 1998.

IIRC QTQ-9 didn’t start using “Nine News Queensland” until the start of 1994. Before 1994 it was referred to as “Nine News Brisbane” in the ads.

3 Likes

From early 1987 until either late 1999 or early 2000. I’m not sure exactly when it ended as I was overseas during this time. The newsroom upgrade was part of the Bond era. It lasted well during this time, only having a paint job and a few other cosmetic upgrades in around 1991 to a full refresh in 1996.