Name songs that are flogged by commercial radio but you still like

I might have mentioned this one before.
I wanna dance with somebody / Whitney Houston.
Doesn’t matter how many times I hear that one. Call it a guilty pleasure but they could play it every day if they like.

2 Likes

Daryl Braithwaite,“The Horses” 1991

3 Likes

Don’t Leave Me This Way / Communards
I hear it every other day on The 80s or Oldskool on DAB but love every minute of it… sad I know.

When I first arrived in Brisbane in 1988, I remembering hearing Max Merritt & the Meteors ‘slipping away’ on 4KQ… I was a little taken aback - it had always been a staple of NZ radio (it even eventually featured in once were warriors) but I never knew it had been a big hit over here… at the time I also didn’t ever contemplate how often I’d hear that song on 4KQ over the next 28 years…

I doubt it has ever strayed far from the playlist (the closest thing to the freezer it’s got would be the ice box)…

Flogged? Cumulatively… yes indeed.

http://www.podcasts.com/4kq_brisbane_-_laurel_garry_mark/episode/max_merritt_and_the_meteors_have_a_new_album

1 Like

“Slipping Away” by Max Merritt & The Meteors is yet another 70s song that was flogged by the likes of 2WS/WSFM in Sydney, but is now not played on any commercial FM stations in Sydney & surrounding areas.
These days, most 70s music, at least in Sydney & surrounding areas, are now only heard by the likes of Magic 2CH, DAB+ & Community Radio, as well as some commercial AM stations from regional markets such as Nowra, Goulburn & Canberra.

In fact, you’re more likely to hear Kylie Minogue than anything by The Beatles, Led Zeppelin & Neil Diamond on WSFM these days, in which 4KQ still play those artists.

2 Likes

Heard on two stations at the same time today in Brisbane - Bridge FM and 101FM.

2 Likes

Yeah ~ it’s getting a thrashing… :slight_smile:

“Echo Beach” Martha and the Muffins

1 Like

I guess it’s one reason why I still listen to FM commercial radio… ie. whilst most of them have a fairly limited playlist, probably more than half of them are the kind of songs that I can still listen to despite having heard them dozens of times before.

So in that respect, there’s too many songs for me to list here.
But one example…
“Wake Me Up Before You Go Go” - Wham!
(which has been getting even more airplay since George Michael’s death).

3 Likes

The year was 1988 and Stereo 10’s morning zoo used to love thrashing this one…

6 Likes

That was a great song back in those days , I never hear it now on any radio station

Rain - Dragon
The Break Up Song - Greg Kihn Band
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve

There would be more, that’s what comes to mind so far.

4 Likes

Icehouse- Electric Blue
Johnny Hates Jazz- Shattered Dreams
Nik Kershaw- Wouldn’t It Be Good
Crowded House- Weather With You
Ian Moss- Tucker’s Daughter

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say “Shattered Dreams” is flogged.

A few overplayed songs I still like hearing

You Get What You Give - New Radicals
Take On Me - a-Ha
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham!
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Papa Don’t Preach - Madonna

It’s a WS special, and I’ve heard it regularly on most stations who turn back the clock.

The 12 inch version is my favourite and actually gets a run on ‘Forever Classic’ every now and then :+1:.

‘You Get What You Give’ is on my list as well but I’d be happy not hearing the others.

2 Likes

We Built This City by Starship (Nothing Can Stop Us Now gets a special mention)
Whatever You Want by P!nk
Walkin’ On The Sun by Smash Mouth

2 Likes

Crowded House, “Something so Strong”
AC/DC, “Highway to Hell”

2 Likes

You’re a friend of mine by Clarence Clemens & Jackson Brown

Good song to make you happy for Friday afternoon . :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Great song!

I don’t hear it on the radio very often though.

What about; Easy Lover Phil Collins & Phil Bailey

Another great track from the 80s.

5 Likes