Name songs that are flogged by commercial radio but you still like

Agree 100% with everything you said just there, except for being over More Than a Feeling. Great point about Nik Kershaw too - that is a great song but has just been done to death

We’re lucky enough to get a few other Boston songs played on our Rebellious border-blaster from the south here (Smokin and Peace of Mind get an occasional run), but like the other stations they too tend to like to stick to their main hit

Don’t Stop Believing doesn’t get much airplay out here, does it? I only heard it on the (recently terminated) More Digital, and maybe on WS once in a blue moon. There was a brief phase a few years ago where the Glee cover got played, and the original may have been dug out as well. It’s definitely overplayed on US radio, though. ‘Oh Sherrie’, the Steve Perry solo hit, is the one that gets played to death out here, and I’m over that.

Re. Rebel being a ‘border blaster’- how far into NSW does 99.4 go?

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Don’t Stop Believin’ only made it to a measly #100 on the Australian charts, which is why you probably don’t hear it much:

I’ve heard it being played on Star 104.5 back in April on a Wednesday afternoon.

Oh, maybe I don’t hear it as much as I thought I was! :flushed:

The Jezabels did a cover of Don’t Stop Believing for Like a Version which still pops up reasonably often on JJJ.

@dxnerd
Both Rebel and Breeze play Don’t Stop Believin’ occasionally. You’re right about it getting flogged on US radio. I was there last year and I heard it most days driving around southern California. Actually a LOT of Journey songs on the airwaves over there, not just that one. Seems to be a crossover track too because I heard it on three different stations in LA - The Sound, K-Earth and KOST.

Whilst down in the Shoalhaven region on the South Coast of NSW today, I was mainly listening to the local ‘classic hits’ station 2ST. One of the songs I’ve heard was “Ebony Eyes” by Bob Welch, which used to get a flogging on WS (& Vega/Classic Rock, when it was around) a number of years ago, but is now yet another example of a once overflogged song that’s now seldom heard on commercial FM radio in Sydney, Central Coast & Illawarra regions these days.

For those in Sydney who misses the old ‘pre-Pure Gold’ WS, 2ST can be picked up on 102.9FM from the Southern Highlands, which gets into many parts of Sydney, particularly the south-western, western & north-western suburbs, quite well. 2ST & 2LT (101.1FM from the Blue Mountains) are the only commercial stations that broadcast on FM within listenable distance of Sydney that still plays a fair amount of 60s & 70s music. The only other commercial FM station that comes close to that is Smooth.

And to close my post, when was the last time a Sydney commercial FM station played “Friday On My Mind” by The Easybeats? That’s yet another example of a song that’s overflogged on WS just a few years ago, but is now no longer played.

2 Likes

Split Enz- Message To My Girl. It’s on Mix 106.3, and still played regularly around the traps I’m guessing. Another timeless, well-crafted piece of pop rock.

5 Likes

Cold Chisel,“Khe Sanh”. It’s one of those classic Aussie rock songs,no matter how many times I hear it I’ll always like it

3 Likes

“Hungry Heart”,Bruce ‘The Boss’ Springsteen

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street. Just heard it on 3MP, used to be flogged by Gold a fair bit.

Foreigner ,“Cold as Ice”

Another of mine from earlier in the thread- it seems a lot of us have similar tastes.

A few more:

The Who- You Better You Bet
Steely Dan- Reelin’ In The Years
The Pretenders- Don’t Get Me Wrong

Another song that WS (or any other Sydney/Wollongong/Central Coast commercial FM stations) hardly touch these days. 2ST does play it from time to time though.

Blondie “Heart of Glass”

Here are a few great songs that gets a flogging down here :slight_smile:
Alone - Heart
Sultans Of swing - Dire Straits
Is This Love - Whitesnake

2 Likes

Billy Joel,“Piano Man”

Not that one for me, but Movin’ Out by Billy Joel. Never get tired of that one.

Oi, that’s another one of mine from earlier in the thread!

Girls On The Avenue- RICHARD CLAPTON. Surely has to be included on the GTA: Emerald City soundtrack, if they ever make it :).

1 Like