My Kitchen Rules

Is it even possible to have seen the same ad, over and over, for about 5 months on end? :unamused:

I think I’ve heard “you’re excused from the table” since last November!!

AFTER THE TENNIS 
 AFTER THE OLYMPICS 
 AFTER THE COMM GAMES.

3 Likes

The MKR website has been down for most of tonight. All I have seen is “504 Gateway Time-out”.

TONIGHT – Our Top 6 teams made their cooking debut in Kitchen HQ where brothers Josh & Nic mastered their disaster to earn the first Semi-Final place for 2018.

THE CHALLENGE
There is no elimination today - the next four times teams meet at Kitchen HQ, the strongest team will advance to the Semi-Finals. Tonight, teams will be competing over two rounds. First, all six teams cook and from that round the best two teams will cook again, with the winner being the first to enter the Semi-Finals.

MASTER THE DISASTER ROUND 1
They’ve all cooked against each other, they’ve all tasted another team’s dish and thought “I could do this better” - now is their chance to prove it. Teams must take a dish cooked by any another team across the competition and show the judges how they would have done it. They can change whatever they like, as long as they elevate and enhance the essence of the dish. The higher they scored in the Ultimate Instant Restaurants, the more time they have to cook in this round.

ALEX & EMILY Sirloin with Mash, Greens and Red Wine Jus (based on Jess & Emma’s Eye Fillet with Spinach and Red Wine Jus)
HENRY & ANNA Herb Crusted Lamb with Potatoes and Asparagus Salad (based on Alex & Emily’s Herb Lamb with Tarragon Potatoes)
JOSH & NIC Chilli Seafood Risotto with Gremolata (based on Davide & Marco’s Seafood Risotto)
KIM & SUONG Fried Rice with Honey Soy Chicken and Asian Green Stir Fry (based on Georgie & Alicia’s Lap Cheong Fried Rice)
OLGA & VALERIA Reuben Sandwich (based on Jess & Emma’s Steak Sandwich)
STELLA & JAZZEY Lamb Backstrap with Wasabi Pea Puree and Red Wine Jus (based on Henry & Anna’s Lamb Backstrap with Pea Puree and Onion Jam)

Top 2 teams: JOSH & NIC and ALEX & EMILY

MASTER THE DISASTER ROUND 2
Teams have 60mins to have another go at one of their past dishes, a dish that didn’t quite work, and make it Semi-Final worthy.

JOSH & NIC Spatchcock Diavola (from Ultimate Instant Restaurant)
ALEX & EMILY Ceviche with Tiger’s Milk Shot (from High Tea Challenge)

STRONGEST TEAM AND FIRST THROUGH TO SEMI-FINALS
Italian brothers Josh & Nic, NSW

7.00PM SUNDAY ON MKR

We’re back in Kitchen HQ where teams have a second opportunity to advance to the Semi-Finals. They will be competing over two rounds in two tough tests of the imagination – a cheap eats challenge and a luxury dish cook off. This is a finals fight which tests the strongest relationships - even the judges are at loggerheads!

1 Like

As has this website for me anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To add to what you said earlier, the opening credits have been shortened again now for the finals featuring just the six teams who made it to the finals.

@TV.Cynic, why did you give away the result before it aired in WA?

Results were provided by Seven. As has always been the case with this and other media related sites, once broadcast, discussion of events occurring in programs is fair game.

2 Likes

The finals series still looks like an odd format,

Five teams to compete for the 3 remaining spots, with only 1 team from tonight progressing to the 1st spot in the 4 team semi final playoffs.

Not sure how that will work, time will tell I guess.

2 Likes

I think for the next two quarter finals, 1 team from each would progress to the semi final. The last quarter final would see two teams eliminated.

1 Like

In thinking all 5 remaining teams will have to cook again on Sunday night, maybe a bit like what we saw tonight?

And the highest team goes through, or one gets eliminated.

1 Like

I’m sorry but the ultimate instant restaurant rankings should have meant more than just determining who could cook when in the next challenge. I would have structured the finals something like this:

• Last Night: Qualifying Final - 1st ranked UIR team v 2nd ranked UIR team (winner gets the ability to later decide who they’ll face in the prelim finals)
    ^ Top ranked UIR team to get some type of advantage in this final
  • Sunday: Semi Final 1 - 3rd ranked UIR team v 6th ranked UIR team (loser is eliminated, winner progresses to Prelim Finals)
  • Monday: Semi Final 2 - 4th ranked UIR team v 5th ranked UIR team (loser is eliminated, winner progresses to Prelim Finals)
    ^ At the end of the episode, QF winner determines the Prelim Final matchups
  • Tuesday: Prelim Final 1 - QF Winner v SF1/SF2 Winner (loser is eliminated)
  • Wednesday: Prelim Final 2 - QF Loser v Other SF1/SF2 Winner (loser is eliminated)
  • Sunday 6th May: Grand Final - PF1 Winner v PF2 Winner

With that system, you actually have a proper finals format which rewards the top 2 UIR teams (by having the ‘double chance’ and the incentive for the QF winner) whilst making the UIR round extremely important in terms of where teams are positioned

Applying my finals structure to this year’s UIR rankings, the finals would have ended up looking like this:

• QF: Alex & Emily (#1 UIR) v Olga & Valeria (#2 UIR)
  • SF1: Henry & Anna (#3 UIR) v Stella & Jazzey (#6 UIR)
  • SF2: Kim & Suong (#4 UIR) v Josh & Nic (#5 UIR)
  • PF1: Alex & Emily (QF Winner*) v SF1/SF2 Winner (whichever they pick)
    ^ * Picked them because they faced off against Josh & Nic for the SF spot last night
  • PF2: Olga & Valeria (QF Loser) v Other SF1/SF2 Winner (whichever team Alex & Emily didn’t pick)
  • GF: PF1 Winner v PF2 Winner
3 Likes

The grand final will be shown on Sunday May 6, following this evening’s announcement that House Rules’ sixth season starts on May 7.

2 Likes

My favourite line this series. Olga and Valeria have been the saviours of this pretty nasty, horrible series.

Last year I vowed not to be caught out by Seven again switching HD channels to show f------ football in HD. Well, I was caught out again. My supposed recording of MKR on 70 HD on Tuesday was football on 7Mate when I sat down to watch it this morning,

2 Likes

Funny, given they were front and centre of half the promos that ran for months before the season began and pretty much painted as villains.

1 Like

Nine classified most MAFS epsiodes as “M”, so exactly, not really suitable for kids.

Comapred to the tame MasterChef or The Block.

1 Like

There is a new combined MKR finale and House Rules premiere promo for “the biggest two nights of the year” (:roll_eyes:) next Sunday and Monday:

1 Like

Oh my goodness
 Channel Seven obviously hasn’t heard of State Of Origin (or anything else that rates higher than these shows) :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Have also enjoyed Henry & Anna - either or both often have something funny to say

3 Likes

TONIGHT

In a tightly fought battle at both ends of the menu spectrum, Alex & Emily defeated young guns Stella & Jazzey to earn the second Semi-Final spot for 2018.

THE CHALLENGE
Tonight, teams will again be competing over two rounds. First, all five teams cook and from that round the best two teams will cook again, with the winner advancing to the Semi-Finals alongside Josh & Nic.

ROUND 1 - CHEAP EATS
Team have 45mins to create a top dish that feeds a family well at a price we can afford using value ingredients. No good home cooks will serve anything but the best their budget will allow.

ALEX & EMILY Crispy Skin Salmon with Poor Man’s Parmesan
HENRY & ANNA Lamb Rump with Cauliflower Two Ways
KIM & SUONG Vietnamese Chicken RagĂč
OLGA & VALERIA Russian Scotch Egg with Lentil Stir Fry
STELLA & JAZZEY Roast Chilli Chicken with Panzanella Salad and Herb Cream

Top 2 teams: ALEX & EMILY and STELLA & JAZZEY

ROUND 2 - LUXURY MENU
Teams are supplied with high end, luxury ingredients that most people can only imagine cooking with. They have 60mins to turn these dream ingredients into a dream ticket into the Semi-Finals.

ALEX & EMILY Wagyu Steak with Mushroom RagĂč, Duck Fat Kipflers and White Truffle
STELLA & JAZZEY Seared Tuna with Radicchio & Fennel Salad with Black Olive Dressing

STRONGEST TEAM AND SECOND THROUGH TO SEMI FINALS
Cocktail couple Alex & Emily, QLD

7.30PM MONDAY ON MKR

Teams have a third chance to advance to the Semi-Finals, where they will join Italian brothers Josh & Nic and cocktail couple Alex & Emily. As they compete over two rounds, they deliver some of the best cooking we’ve seen but the strain of finals proves too much for one team.

How dare you roll your eyes at the expected hyperbole. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

TONIGHT

A dairy challenge saw two teams rise to the top, but in a hotly contested seafood showdown, Stella & Jazzey were once again pipped with mums Kim & Suong advancing to the Semi-Finals.

THE CHALLENGE
Tonight’s cook off was fought over two rounds. In the first round, all four teams cook then the top two teams cook again, head to head, for the third spot in the Semi-Finals.

ROUND 1 – THREE COURSE MEAL WITH DAIRY
Team had 2hrs to cook a full three course meal in which all three courses must have a key component made from dairy. In their 2hrs, teams decided when to serve each course. When a dish was ready to be eaten, they ran it up to the judges for tasting. If a dish didn’t reach the judges’ table when time was up, it would not be judged.

HENRY & ANNA Entrée: Three Cheese Souffle
Main: Blue Cheese Quiche
Dessert: Gin & Lemon Cheesecake

KIM & SUONG Entrée: Creamy Lobster Chowder
Main: Grilled Blue Eye with Beurre Blanc Sauce
Dessert: CrĂȘpes with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream

OLGA & VALERIA Entrée: Akroshka (Cold buttermilk soup)
Main: Yozhiki (Russian meatballs) with Braised Barley
Dessert: Guriev Kasha (Semolina porridge with stewed fruit)

STELLA & JAZZEY Entrée: Baked Cheese Bruschetta with Pear Chutney
Main: Eye Fillet with Oyster Cream
Dessert: White Chocolate Mousse with Raspberries

Top 2 teams: KIM & SUONG and STELLA & JAZZEY

ROUND 2 – FREE REIN
Teams had 60mins to create whatever they like, with no restrictions on ingredients.

KIM & SUONG Seafood Congee
STELLA & JAZZEY Crispy Skin Barramundi with Cauliflower Purée and Olive Tapenade

STRONGEST TEAM AND THIRD THROUGH TO SEMI-FINALS
Mums Kim & Suong, VIC

7.30PM TUESDAY ON MKR

A cheating scandal rocks Kitchen HQ as two of your faves are sent home in a double elimination!
In a series first, the competition will farewell two of your favourite teams as the Semi-Final line-up is decided. With one place left, it’s do or die as a cheating scandal sends shockwaves through Kitchen HQ. Which team will stop at nothing to avoid elimination?

1 Like

The “scandal” will probably be something like a team using something out of a jar, rather than making it.

I think it will be the Russian girls that are up to these tricks.

1 Like