My Kitchen Rules

I watch it for the cooking

1 Like

I don’t mean to be rude, but that is like saying you watch Adult Films for plot. Sure, there might be some small amount of plot there, but we all know what 99% of the film is.

2 Likes

Oh pray, do tell!

1 Like

I think the bitching was their before this rivalry though…

Tonight’s group challenge took place at Spice Alley in Chippendale in inner Sydney (on October 9 last year, according to the precinct’s Instagram). The six group 2 teams took over each of Spice Alley’s six food stalls to make Asian dishes. The diners paid whatever amount of money they reckon the dishes were worth, and the team which got the highest earnings was named People’s Choice. The money raised was donated to the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
I have been to Sydney a few times but I haven’t heard of Spice Alley until tonight. Looks like a good place to eat. If I go to Sydney I would love to visit the precinct.

1 Like

It’s a relatively new development. Part of the Central Park redevelopment of the old Tooth’s Brewery.

3 Likes

Davide and Marco were very lucky not to be sent to Elimination House. They failed the brief making a tortilla (even with Asian ingredients like wasabi mayonnaise and five spice salmon) and was deemed to have made the worst dish of the day. However they won people’s choice because they made more money than the other five teams. This meant Dan and Gemma who made the second worse dish would go into elimination.

3 Likes

I think they should have been disqualified. It was not Asian and that was the task.

2 Likes

I’m getting sick to death of the group challenges. They are becoming mind-numbingly monotonous.
Apart from the setting, the challenges are basically the same from one to the next.

To make it worse, contestants that fail to comply with the brief often come out on top, because they cook whatever they cook well, notwithstanding that it doesn’t fit the brief. By my reckoning, tortilla’s in an Asian challenge is a massive fail and unfair to the other contestants who met the brief. They should have been disqualified and excluded from the people’s vote.

If we curtail the group challenges, what to replace them with? Answer: Nothing. The series goes on far too long and should be significantly shortened.

In the elimination cook-offs, all meals are against a time limit. This stipulation should also be brought in for the initial instant restaurants, instead of food taking hours to arrive in some instances. Point penalties could be levied for meals that are late in the instant restaurants.

2 Likes

Re time limits, I reckon in reality a lot of teams aren’t meeting them, but that it’s edited differently to that.

1 Like

I think it’s the other way. I think they actually are meeting them easily but they’re editing them to make them look like it’s closer to a fail than it actually is.

2 Likes

They look stressed to me when they are cooking.

In that case, they’ve probably had acting lessons too to give that impression of being stressed even though it’s “reality” TV.

1 Like

MKR just blurred the “up yours” finger raised by a couple of contestants in relation to a good natured discussion about driving.

I’ve never seen that blurred out on TV before… Maybe it’s more offensive to the general population than I thought. If it was in an M rated timeslot it wouldn’t have been needed.

2 Likes

I notice Emily’s left hand was heavily bandaged when she and Alex received the scores from the judges. Did Emily’s hand got a deep cut or a burn?

2 Likes

She burnt it on the pan handle when she was plating up the hot figs for dessert.

3 Likes

I wondered what went wrong for Georgie and Alicia. The sisters were doing quite well in group challenges, then they stumbled in cooking challenges in Spice Alley and Wet ‘n’ Wild then lost to Alex and Emily in last night’s cook-off. Did Georgie and Alicia try to get out of their comfort zone?

1 Like

I think Sonya And Hadil have a bit to answer for re Georgie and Alicia’s demise.

Their comments at the start of last night’s show about how they were “emotionally attached” to Georgie and Alicia and that they were “their friends” and that they “really wanted them to win” last night and then asking the other contestants “to be fair” when scoring when their own comments hinted at bias got them offside with the others.

That the judges scores had A&G with a narrow win, but the contestants had Alex and Emily win by a landslide seems to confirm this.

3 Likes

Yeah I actually found it really funny that the contestants voted for Alex and Emily. Sonya and Hadil were so full on. If they hadn’t shown such bias then I think the contestants would have scored differently.

3 Likes

Yes, it was such a dumb thing for them to say… the other contestants tore them to shreds over it straightaway and rightly so.

3 Likes

Last night the five group 1 teams cooked in a commercial kitchen for the first time, at the 12-Micron restaurant at Barangaroo in Sydney CBD. I think Stella and Jazzey had the best preparation but they did not create a great dish for the judges and diners. Kim and Suong fell into elimination because of their refusal to adapt (why did they insist on making sugar turns even though Manu asked them to stop due to limited time? The caramel turned out to be unnecessary).

1 Like