My Kitchen Rules

Yes, as I expected, it was nowhere near as controversial or explosive as the promos made it out to be.

2 Likes

Good on Roula and Rachael for speaking up their mind, but would they have argued with the judges were they not facing elimination?

2 Likes

On Monday night it’s going to be Roula and Rachael v Dan and Gemma in the elimination cook-off. Every remaining team plus Pete and Manu will be the judges and score them, making this the biggest ever judging table in MKR history.

I really don’t like how they are doing this for all the eliminations and not doing as they have done in past seasons and have the proper professional six judges only score and critique the dishes in the elimination sudden death cook-offs who actually know what they are talking about when they judge the food. I take it this is MKR’s way of trying to make the whole season like the instant restaurants at the start so that all the fighting, bitching and rivalries you see at instant restaurants can continue afterwards. It really is sad that it has come to this in a bid to get ratings.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that so much.

They couldn’t keep doing the same thing year after year in using the same format for eliminations, so this is something different.

1 Like

I agree. They need to try some new things.

1 Like

For me, this is just yet another way they are taking the focus away from the cooking and more on the bitching that people are complaining about. If it was a proper cooking competition, they would ensure that for most eliminations, only the true experts get a say in which team should go. It just seems fairer this way to me than if they are judged by teams who no offence but may not know what they are talking about. They should be trying to keep the focus on the cooking, not trying to take it away from the cooking!!

I’m sure they’ll back to that in later rounds.

1 Like

If it was purely about the cooking, it would be a pretty boring show to watch.

I think the balance between the cooking technicalities and entertainment aspect is about right for what is ultimately a reality TV show.

1 Like

Like what, the semi-finals and the grand final?

And @Radiohead I’m not saying it should be purely a cooking show, I’m just saying that the focus should be more on the cooking and less on the fighting as I’ve mentioned before and it should be judged entirely on the cooking in elimination cook-offs at the very least because ultimately it is a cooking competition.

I think when they get down to 8 teams, they’ll have an instant restaurant round again and then for the rest of the season it will be back to the elimination kitchen and the judges. Speculation not spoiler.

3 Likes

The promo for this week’s elimination cook-off showed Kim rushing from the dining table. It would happen on Thursday’s episode. Roula and Jess told TV Week that Kim suddenly became very ill while they were dining, Jess adding that Kim hadn’t been feeling well that whole time.
On tonight’s episode, Pete told the other teams at the table that Kim was absent for personal reasons. Kim told New Idea that she had to take leave from the show to be with her terminally ill sister, Lan, after doctors advised the family that they should say their final goodbyes. But Lan pulled through and Kim was able to return to Sydney for the next group challenge. Lan is still alive today.

2 Likes

Today’s Group 2 challenge is being held at Foodbank NSW’s Glendenning warehouse in western Sydney where the teams are running a home delivery service, cooking a 2 main courses and a side dish for paying customers and the remaining Group 1 teams. Foodbank is a charity organisation that provides food and meals that weren’t sold in supermarkets to the less fortunate people in society who struggle to afford it. There’s some nice Renault product placement happening as the teams are delivering their foods to the customer’s houses. Since both Olga & Valeria are unable to drive, they have enlisted the help of a Foodbank volunteer.

2 Likes

I could’ve sworn that was a Johnson post :thinking:

4 Likes

Two teams made big mistakes in last night’s BBQ challenge held at Harbord Bowling Club in Sydney’s north. Emma and Jess were too casual during cooking of their steak sandwich (how did they even have time to drink champagne?), while Josh and Nic failed the brief by having too much fried seafood in their dish. In the end it was overcooked seafood which sent the Italians into elimination cook off against Matt and Aly.

2 Likes

It was actually Soung who walked from the dining table, having heard enough of the arguments between the guests on which team facing elimination was cooking a better dish. As more teams were eliminated, the two groups were becoming increasingly protective of the team in its own group, with verbal stoush becoming more common and more aggressive.

1 Like

Not sure how it’s an “advantage” to have two votes at the elimination after winning people’s choice. In past series the winning team didn’t have to cook next time.

3 Likes

After watching Gogglebox’s review of the medieval feast episode this week, I realised the producers made a huge blunder by having chilies available as ingredients. It was not introduced to Europe until late 15th century.

Isn’t up to the contestants to decide what is an authentic medieval feast? A couple of the dishes were way off the brief even though they did use expected ingredients from the era.

1 Like

Just catching up. I prefer this season to others. I like the elimination house. I like group 1 v Group 2. The season has some very unlikable contestants though and is too bitchy.

1 Like

Disagree completely about elimination house and the group 1 v group 2 rivalry thing. That is a large part of why this season is ‘too bitchy’ as you say.

1 Like