My Kitchen Rules

It was mentioned by a contestant during tonight’s MKR of the prizemoney for this series being $150,000.

I hadn’t realised this, I’m sure it was $250,000 last year?

Seems a bit cheap by Seven to reduce the prize?

I would have thought that after Monday’s sudden cook off it would be straight to group challenge. But no - it’s another elimination. After the episode one group would be left with six teams and the other group having seven teams. How could this be fair competition?

The producers made another twist to the usual group challenge by not having every team cooking together. Instead each group would take turns, cooking to a designated theme. I assume the worst performing team from each group would be sent to Elimination House for the sudden cook off.

Why would it matter? The only time you’d need the same amount of teams per group is for the instant restaurants, so that you have consistency in the total number of points available.

I said in another forum that I’m not happy with what MKR appear to be doing post-Instant Restaurants this year. It was much better having everyone together and the simple sudden death cook-offs at Kitchen HQ, not this elimination house.

1 Like

From original media release

I heard Olga say $250 000, not $150 000 tonight. Also Pete and Manu were being driven by a WA car in Coffs Harbour NSW tonight!!

1 Like

It’s not uncommon to see hire cars registered in a different state to where they’re being driven.

Ah ok, it may have been her accent then. Thanks.

1 Like

Two nights in a row a team scored more than 100 points. Georgie and Alicia did even better than the Russians in last night’s episode, with their Chinese menu which also included an Italian twist. I think these two teams could make it far in the competition.

2 Likes

Nice to actually see some good cooking in this round of instant restaurants and a battle for the top of the leaderboard rather than the bottom, seeing teams failing all the time as we did in group 1.

1 Like

I swear there are scenes from the promos from before this season started that haven’t been shown in the episodes yet when they should have.

I don’t recall seeing in the elimination house episode Olga doing the throat chop action we saw in the promos and Pete being in the kitchen when Olga & Valeria were cooking saying “Wow, Russians on MKR” or something like that. I saw Manu come into their kitchen but not Pete.

And we haven’t yet had the much anticipated instant restaurant where Manu has to eject a team from the table at an instant restaurant and it isn’t in the promos for any of the remaining upcoming instant restaurants when I would have thought it would be.

Pete & Manu never said “You’re in our house now” and “Good luck” at the start of the elimination house episode like I thought they should have either.

So did I miss something or have these things not happened yet or been edited out or something? It’s confusing me because the promos seem to be telling a slightly different story than what is actually happening in the episodes.

But they’re probably from later episodes so they can’t have screened yet.

They were instant restaurant scenes so what else could they be from, the ultimate instant restaurant round towards the very end of the season? This is the last of the instant restaurants for now this week before the outside challenges etc.

Seven West Media CEO Tim Worner revealed during yesterday’s 2018 first half year financial results that local versions of MKR would be made under licence in Germany and South Africa.

According to this week’s Woman’s Day, this would happen during the ultimate instant restaurant stage.

1 Like

Yet they advertise it right from before the start of the season, tricking us into thinking it happens at the start of the season.

Standard practice for this and every other reality show. At best, they are sneaky and tricky. At worst, they are fake and contrived.

4 Likes

Some more odd scenery tonight.

Tonight’s contestants are based in Western Sydney (somewhere around St Marys by the looks of it), but they are seen driving across the Georges River on the Princes Hwy at Sylvania Waters.

I know the point has been raised that they most likely have shop at nominated Coles supermarkets, but to go to one over the other side of Sydney (which is probably an hour away) is really quite ludicrous.

Some of the stuff would need to be kept refridgerated for that length of time, particularly in this hot weather, and could affect the quality of the cooking and their scores.

2 Likes

That’s the idea of the promo - get you hooked in whatever way they can to watch the show.

It’s alao not unusual to have scenes in a promo that are cut from the episodes.

1 Like

You do realise that this episode was probably filmed in August-September last year, not in the heat of summer…

Yeah I know, but still…

1 Like