My Kitchen Rules

##MKR Final

Brisbane siblings Amy & Tyson have been crowned My Kitchen Rules Champions for 2017. The competition’s highest ever scoring team delivered when it really mattered, serving an “exceptional” five course menu which received perfect scores from three of the judges.

Fellow Queenslanders Valerie & Courtney produced “a masterclass in spice”, but it wasn’t enough to topple the inventive, self-taught brother and sister duo, who were awarded the coveted title and $250,000.

ELIMINATED TEAM
Valerie & Courtney, QLD

Valerie: “My Kitchen Rules has brought us even closer together and we’ve really enjoyed these last few months.”
Courtney: “I want to say a big, huge thank you to my mum. She’s an amazing person. She inspires me every day.”

2017 CHAMPIONS AND WINNERS OF THE $250,000 PRIZE
Amy & Tyson, QLD

Amy: “To go through so many hurdles, ups and downs, and to come out the champions, it’s like a dream come true.”

Tyson: “I’m just so proud of what Amy and I have achieved together. We couldn’t have done it alone and I’m just happy to be sharing it with her. This is just the beginning. I can’t wait to see what the next chapter is going to be for me. Being crowned the winner makes my dreams of becoming a chef a reality. It’s going to happen.”

###THE CHALLENGE
Teams had to present a five course menu, featuring a cold entrée (2hrs to plate), a hot entrée (1hr), a seafood course (1hr), a meat course (90mins) and dessert (45mins), producing 100 plates for a packed restaurant of judges, family members and the eliminated teams.

###SCORES
Amy & Tyson
Karen 10 “To call your menu stunning would be an understatement”
Guy 9 “Your cooking is evolved, you’re on a road to success”
Liz 10 “I feel privileged to have eaten your meal tonight”
Colin 9 “Bold, inventive and delicious”
Manu 9
Pete 10 “Delicious and exceptional”
Total 57/60

Valerie & Courtney
Karen 9 “A delicious masterclass in the use of spice”
Guy 9 “You pulled on my heartstrings tonight with your cultural insights”
Liz 9 “Your whole meal was authentic from beginning to end”
Colin 8 “Your menu spoke of family and love”
Manu 8
Pete 9 “Thank you for taking me on a delicious adventure through India”
Total 52/60

3 Likes

Perhaps Valerie and Courtney were a bit too one dimensional, all being Indian themed dishes, and that probably counted against them. And their dishes had a couple of minor flaws.

The judges comments after the final dish suggested that the scoring might have have been a lot closer than it actually was… 57 vs 52 was quite a comfortable victory in the end.

1 Like

Probably deliberate. I’ve read in the past that they film two versions of the scoring and winner to avoid spoilers, given how far in advance it’s filmed and the number of people on set.

Not sure how they’d play it if one team absolutely tanked though.

That wouldn’t be fair to the team that doesn’t win the $250k though?

To be told they’ve “won” and then they find out that they didn’t win after all?

Courtney was interviewed on Fitzy and Wippa on Friday and she confirmed they filmed two endings this year too so they didn’t know who actually won until it screened. The boys knew Courtney because she had worked at Nova, a while ago.

4 Likes

This year at least, I wouldn’t feel too bad for them. They have their sauce being sold and no doubt they’ll have a publishing deal for their cookbook already done.

2 Likes

It was very close between the two teams, the minor flaws in Valerie and Courtney’s third course were the main difference between winning and losing. Amy and Tyson was always the team to beat after scoring 102 points in their first instant restaurant last winter.
Next season will need to be short and sharp if it is to finish before Easter and the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games opening ceremony on April 4. I think it should be reduced to just two groups of six teams, but keep the cook-off for bottom 2 teams of each group, ultimate instant restaurants, semi finals and grand final.

But they could just delay the final cook offs until after the Comm Games.

The couple were on Brisbane radio this morning (unsurprisingly) where the same thing was discussed. Not sure why it was a surprise to the announcers as this has been the case for MRK and several other shows. Imagine if they did this for the Bachelor though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But viewers may not come back if MKR has a break longer than one week and shows like Married at First Sight will benefit.
I also feel Seven may keep showing MKR during the Winter Olympic Games in South Korea, with Games coverage on 7TWO or 7mate until 9pm local time.

They may also do the same with the Comm Games if they think ratings won’t be as strong. Just move the prime time coverage to 7 Two and 7mate until 9pm.

I wanted A & T to win, but I don’t see how V & C scored two 8s after all those rave reviews and only one fault (the proportions, not taste, of the fish dish). The scores didn’t match the comments. If being one-dimensional was a problem, that should have been brought up by the 4th course.

1 Like

On Sunrise this morning, they were trying to claim that Amy & Tyson had the competition’s highest ever scoring last night, supposedly in the sudden death format where they get scored out of 60 (I don’t think they were referring to their previous highest ever score from their instant restaurant) when I know that just last year Tasia & Gracia got exactly the same score of 57 and in season 2 Sammy & Bella got the highest scoring in this format, a perfect 60 out of 60 so I am not sure why they are trying to make this claim.

Because the Sunrise producers didn’t check their facts and hyperbole leads to higher ratings? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yes, that would probably be right :joy:

Doubt prime time coverage of the Commonwealth Games won’t be fully on the main channel considering there’ll be swimming and athletics finals happening during that time which should attract decent/strong audiences.

You can perhaps make an argument for them doing that with the Winter Olympics but since it’s in a ‘favourable’ timezone, Seven might decide to also have that take up their prime time schedule on the main channel

According to a breif media release about the ratings for last night’s show Seven said:

Brisbane siblings Amy & Tyson were last night crowned My Kitchen Rules Champions for 2017.
The competition’s highest ever scoring team delivered when it really mattered, serving an “exceptional” five course menu which received perfect scores from three of the judges.

Does it refer to across the whole competition?

Probably refers to the instant restaurant rounds.

Season 8 premieres in Asia on pay channel Diva TV (owned by NBC Universal) on May 15. It is promoting “Asian Power” teams David and Betty, and Albert and Dave.
Also, the producers are already holding auditions for season 9 just days after Amy and Tyson were declared winners of season 8. This was posted on the show’s Facebook page this afternoon:

Hi Melbourne Fans! Think you’ve got what it takes to be on #MKR? The Producers of the show will be at the Abbotsford Convent in Melbourne THIS SATURDAY (May 6) for open auditions!
This is your chance to impress on camera and ANYONE can come down! Find us in the Little Ironing Room (next to Sacred Heart Courtyard) from 10am – 4:00pm.

The next series may have the contestants living together in the one house as a way to bolster the ratings. It is one option Seven is said to be looking at to revitalise the program, according to The Australian.

1 Like