My Kitchen Rules

It must have been hard for Pete and Manu to sample the 15 dishes in tonight’s fast food challenge. They only had 1-2 minutes to eat bits from each plate and gave quick critiques on air while the teams were still cooking. Not good for their stomachs either. (In outdoor challenges, the two judges also only got to have quick bites of each dish, but at least they had more time to digest the food and rate each dish thoroughly)
The challenge shows the importance of time management. Amy and Tyson, and David and Betty both went for less complicated dishes, thus they were able to make and serve entrees and mains and still had enough time to perfect their desserts. No surprise they went straight into the semi-finals. The other three teams struggled throughout the 90 minutes and barely served their desserts with seconds to spare. Tim and Kyle wasted their advantage of having ample time to choose the ingredients from the pantry and produced average squid entree and steak main. But they regained their form in the second round and won with a near flawless beef cheeks with cauliflower and bone marrow gravy. Mark and Chris fought to the end but their beef rib chilli with charred corn and guacamole lacked texture, and the last remaining Victorian team was eliminated.
Amy and Tyson got to choose their semi-final opponent which I think was a huge advantage, as they knew the strengths and weaknesses of the other teams. The match up means it’s possible to have the first all-Queensland decider since season 4 in 2013.

Yes, they should have known that a lot of dishes would all turn up at once towards the end.

At least we now know it can’t be a Amy/Tyson vs David/Betty Grand Final.
They now look to be the 2 strongest teams.
I think whoever wins that will win this year.

Also, they must be starting to run out of new challenges they can use particularly for next season.
They keep saying things like this is the hardest challenge EVER!
What next? Will we see teams being forced to cook with one hand, or with their eyes closed perhaps!

They’ve sort of done that before when only one team member can cook and the other yells instructions at them.

1 Like

I meant like left hand or right hand only (and the other one behind their backs) :grin:

TONIGHT – With “inspired ideas” and “incredible creativity”, siblings Amy & Tyson managed to outhustle David & Betty by just 2 points, securing themselves the first Grand Final berth.

7.30PM WEDNESDAY ON MKR
Semi Final 2 – Valerie & Courtney vs Tim & Kyle! It’s family vs friends but as they strive to reach their food dream, one team will blow it.

Mother and daughter team Valerie & Courtney opened their home and revealed their secret weapon, producing dishes carried down through generations. Their opponents, pub mates Tim and Kyle, have been the masters of meat and sultans of sauce proving there’s more to these blokes than meets the eye. A fierce battle lies ahead but things are even fiercer at the judges’ table. Chefs Colin Fassnidge, Karen Martini, Guy Grossi and Liz Egan join Manu Feildel and Pete Evans in Kitchen HQ as the best of the best compete for the title of 2017 MKR Champions and the $250,000 grand prize.

It sounded to me like based on the judges critiques that Amy and Tyson were a bit fortunate to get through to the Grand Final.

David and Betty may feel a bit hard done by. Did anyone else think that?

Amy and Tyson had isues with overcooked duck breast in the main and and some pickled cucumber in the dessert that seemed a bit “jarring”.

David and Betty had a bit of rice in their main that was a bit dry (but they only had a small amount of rice anyway) and they didn’t seem to have any major issues with their dessert?

It was very close semi final last night. Both teams created impressive entrees but made mistakes with their mains and desserts. The dry sticky rice in the dessert and the slightly undercooked pork cost David and Betty valuable points.

I’m surprised they sent David and Betty home really - though Pete has offered Tyson a job, so there was always that fact which indicated he went far. However, these teams should have been the two finalists - the other two are MUCH weaker.

As for Valerie…why does Seven have to dress her in an “Indian inspired” blouse every single night? Seriously. It’s so pathetic. She doesn’t need to be painted as “ethnic” and “wholesome” by wearing “traditional” clothing.

Given the constant storyline throughout this season has been Amy & Tyson v Tim & Kyle which goes all the way back to the first instant restaurants I will be absolutely shocked if the boys don’t make it through to the GF to face them.

I swear they rig the scores to prevent draws.

An upset tonight?

It was another high scoring semi final tonight. Liz best summed up Tim and Kyle’s cooking: flashes of brilliance but not enough. Given the two teams were neck and neck in the main and the dessert (the judges were split on the dessert) the entree virtually was the difference between the boys and Valerie and Courtney. While less is more is often correct in cooking, a plate of just three scallops with celeriac puree and pancetta is too small as the first course.
One thing I notice during Monday’s quarter final is that some teams cooked two plates during the fast food challenge - one for the tasting and one for photography. That was just waste of time, they should have concentrated on one plate and could always make another plate after camera had stopped.

TONIGHT – Tim & Kyle showed “flashes of brilliance” but it wasn’t enough to defeat Valerie & Courtney who shone with their spice-driven menu, snagging the last Grand Final berth.

The MKR Grand Final - will Amy & Tyson or Valerie & Courtney be crowned 2017 Champions?
Queenslanders Valerie & Courtney and Amy & Tyson go head to head on a night when humble home cooks become superstars! Emotions overflow as both teams crack in very different ways. Have the siblings got an arsenal large enough to take on Valerie & Courtney’s secret weapon? Chefs Colin Fassnidge, Karen Martini, Guy Grossi and Liz Egan join Manu Feildel and Pete Evans in Kitchen HQ where one team will be crowned 2017 Champions and be awarded the $250,000 prize.

Last time two Queensland teams (and also a sister and brother team) made the grand final was season 4 in 2013 when Elle and Jake lost to married couple Dan and Steph. This time Amy and Tyson might have a chance to claim the title given their cooking was always of high standard, apart from a stumble at the surf life saving cooking challenge.

I feel like the guys were always a team set up to be a “shock elimination” but who never produced anything of brilliance. Manu said they cooked well week after week, but to be honest, it felt like they were always sitting out challenges…

The menu composition was weird tonight. Up against the “complex Indian flavours” we had the guys produce…scallops? Brownies? Confit duck? We’ve seen this stuff a million times before. It’s as basic as you can get, especially for entre and dessert. Somehow, I think a mother/daughter win was always on the cards…

Seems like they’re wearing white aprons in the finale too, which means they’ve probably won (no one ever mentions the “curse of the black aprons” lol on this show, which leads to about a 90% boot rate…). Probably explains why Tyson was given a job, as he was only a runner up.

Also means Coles can sell more of their sauce, and they can be pictured on the front of their instore mag with their “wholesome” recipes. So fake-o-rama, I can’t stand Valerie - and I don’t think her daughter can either, lol.

1 Like

I have no doubt we’ll be hearing reference after reference to Valerie’s dad during the GF on Sunday and I’m not looking forward to it. Amy & Tyson should win easily in my opinion.

2 Likes

Where would we be without such important statistics. :joy:

3 Likes

David and Betty are planning to open a series of pop-up restaurants in Sydney’s south western suburbs, starting in Bankstown in early June, according to local paper Canterbury-Bankstown Express.

It’s back in store from 8 May :wink:

2 Likes

I see that according to the EPF the MKR final has been pushed back to a 8:08 pm start time.

Had wondered if this might happen as the first episode of House Rules is too long for the original one-hour timeslot.