My Kitchen Rules

Interesting start to the quarter final tonight.
Tim and Kyle had two weeks off while the ultimate instant restaurants were held across the country. While they might have practiced in their own kitchen, they were nervous in their first two cooks tonight. Fortunately the boys picked themselves up and beat David and Betty at their own game with a superb dressing in the second round.
The result could have been different for Valerie and Courtney in the first round had they completed their breakfast dish with more bacon and a complete egg, which would have given them “dish of the day”.
Court and Duncan had themselves to blame for losing the second round (using canned beans to create a salad was lazy and was not finals worthy) and the third round (undercooked lamb) thus bowing out of competition.

I don’t think it was a good idea to have had Tim and Kyle off for the ultimate instant restaurants. If they tweak the format again next year, they should make sure another team is ousted before the ultimate instant restaurant round so all teams compete in that.

TONIGHT - The top eight teams returned to Kitchen HQ for the Quarter Finals and after a break from battle, Tim & Kyle seemed out of ammunition. But in a tight race to the finish, it was hipsters Court & Duncan who were sent home.

7.30PM WEDNESDAY ON MKR
Take seven teams, make them cook three dishes in one and what have you got… mass chaos!
In the second quarter final, teams are faced with an epic test of their inventiveness with meat.

Yes, I was surprised that most of the teams that I thought would win the first round (when I first saw the match ups) ended up losing.

Though the pairing of the match ups was odd… Based on the finishing order of the last round of instant restaurants, they had:

1 vs 5
(Tim & Kyle vs Amy & Tyson)

2 vs 8
(Valerie & Courtney vs Karen & Ros)

3 vs 7
(Della & Tully vs Court & Duncan)

4 vs 6
(David & Betty vs Mark & Chris)

I thought they would have gone with the old McIntyre system for the footy finals ie. 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

The only one of the higher ranked teams that won the first round was Della and Tully.

The way they decided the match ups was just dumb. Tim & Kyke should’ve been seeded 1 because Amy & Tyson got screwed given they finished 4th. I have a feeling it was orchestrated that way so they would continue their rivalry. Also I would’ve preferred to see sudden-death cook-offs from here on in instead of the convulated QF elimination process they are going with.

3 Likes

Agree - don’t know why they’re calling this period ‘quarter-finals’ when its merely ‘Kitchen HQ’ challenges probably until four teams are left to allow for semi-finals. If they actually want to have a proper finals system (which would make for far more competitive competition) , they would use the system Radiohead mentioned and have the following match ups:

• Quarter-Final #1: Valerie & Courtney (1st seed^) v Karen & Ros (8th seed)
  • Quarter-Final #2: Tim & Kyle (slotted as the 2nd seed^) v Court & Duncan (7th seed)
  • ^ Did the top seeds in this manner because I don’t think its right that Tim & Kyle in such a scenario should be seeded 1 having not done the ‘Ultimate Instant Restaurant’ round which was their advantage of winning the ‘Golden Pass’. Besides, Valerie & Courtney should be rewarded for coming 1st in that round
  • Quarter-Final #3: Della & Tully (3rd seed) v Mark & Chris (6th seed)
  • Quarter-Final #4: David & Betty (4th seed) v Amy & Tyson (5th seed)
  • Semi-Final #1: QF1 Winner v QF2 Winner
  • Semi-Final #2: QF3 Winner v QF4 Winner

Assuming that the judges do all of the scoring and tasting, getting 90 mins of watchable TV out of a direct “head to head” between 2 teams might be difficult.

It would be missing that banter that goes on between the other contestants.

Perhaps if the head to head match ups were done in an “instant restuarant” style somehow, it could work.

They manage to do it for the Kitchen HQ eliminations pre the ‘Ultimate Instant Restaurant’ round - don’t see why they can’t do it for the Quarter-Finals instead of what they’re doing now with the challenges but somehow claiming they’re SFs

TONIGHT – Meatmasters Tim & Kyle disappointed when they should have shone and were sent to their first Sudden Death against fellow first timers Karen & Ros. It was “Death by Chocolate” for the midwives who were pushed out of the competition after the pub mates presented a faultless dessert.

7.00PM SUNDAY ON MKR…
As the final week of MKR 2017 begins, reliving past mistakes proves disastrous for one team!
Quarter Final 3 pits six of the best against their worst nightmare. This is no trip down memory lane as everything comes flooding back.

Last night’s episode proved once again there is nothing certain in cooking competitions. The trio of meat challenge was right up Tim and Kyle’s alley but they faltered. Valerie and Courtney nearly joined them in sudden death after forgetting to plate up the mint sauce in the final seconds. Karen and Ros are dessert queens but made a dense chocolate cake which was enough to send them out of competition.

1 Like

Actually I was certain that Karen & Ros would be eliminated. I was also sure about Court & Dunc leaving the night before and Josh & Amy flopping hard in the last ultimate instant restaurant. I’m quite sure Mark & Chris will be the next to be eliminated.

2 Likes

You kind of knew that Karen and Ros were probably going to be the ones leaving. It was one of those ‘classic’ Reality TV tricks where either people talk up themselves or other people comment on how good [insert person/duo/team] is only to then see [said person/duo/team] falter

To re-iterate an earlier post, MKR Grand Final is on Sunday 30 April.

I agree, I think Mark and Chris will be next to go.

TONIGHT – The Top 6 teams had to “master their disasters” to avoid being sent to Sudden Death. Favourites Della & Tully and Valerie & Courtney ended up going head-to-head presenting extraordinary, Grand Final-worthy dishes. In a very close call, judges Manu and Pete sent the foodie friends home while the mother and daughter duo live to fight another day.

7.30PM MONDAY ON MKR
The most challenging cook in the history of MKR! Only the toughest and fastest will survive as the final four teams are decided!
In the last Quarter Final - a fast food challenge that leaves even the coolest customers furious. To be one of the final four they’ll literally have to deliver!

Seven are hopeless with spoilers on this show. During the first challenge when the six teams were cooking, they showed a Bonus Extra in the ad break with Della & Tully cooking steaks. That just gave away that they would lose the challenge and need to cook again in the second cook off. Hopeless.

Thank God they’re gone, sick of their shtick. Shame the Indian mother and daughter couldn’t have been booted too.

1 Like

I don’t think Valerie and Courtney will last much longer … they don’t seem to be as confident as the other teams, and I think that will show them up in the “pressure cooker” situations of the semi finals (if they get that far).

1 Like

TONIGHT – In one of the most challenging cooks ever seen on MKR, the final five teams fought for their place in the Semi Finals.

ELIMINATED TEAM
Mark & Chris, VIC

Mark: “Being so close to the finish line it’s a little bit gut wrenching but in the same sense, I’m super proud of our efforts and to get where we have gotten. Our experience on My Kitchen Rules has been nothing short of amazing. I couldn’t have picked anyone else other than Chris to do it with. He’s one of a kind. Just when you think you know someone, and I’ve known him a long time, I know so much more now.”
Chris: “We leave as better mates and better cooks”

TOP 4 TEAMS FOR 2017
Amy & Tyson, QLD
David & Betty, NSW
Valerie & Courtney, QLD
Tim & Kyle, SA

BEST FAST AND FRESH MEAL SEMI FINAL ADVANTAGE
The judges determined that Amy & Tyson presented the best fast and fresh meal of the day. The advantage they received was to compete in the first Semi Final against the team of their choosing. They chose to face off against David & Betty.

7.30PM TUESDAY ON MKR
Semi-Final 1 - Amy & Tyson vs David & Betty! Two teams, one Grand Final ticket, on a night of five star food!
Serious siblings, Amy & Tyson have talked the talk and walked the walk, smashing records along the way. Their opponents, hustlers David & Betty, have been snapping selfies and surprising judges with their heritage food.