My Kitchen Rules

Haha, I think that’s the most accurate title for this show! Certainly not a food/cooking show judging by the snippets I’ve been subjected to through on-air promos and Gogglebox!

1 Like

Let’s be honest though, we’re not watching this for the cooking.

2 Likes

Hold on. Am I the only one who plans their meals on what contestants cook each night?

4 Likes

Delete or replace the last three words with “anymore” or “ever again” and I’ll agree :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Presumably why ratings are through the roof the last 2 weeks, with the lesser emphasis on cooking… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s like The Block. People say they don’t watch for the renovating, they have no interest in real estate. That’s true of many people I bet. But when a reality show isn’t properly constructed around some sort of theme, competition element, then it’s not really good TV.

Haha exactly what I was thinking - reckon that couple with the two ladies will be booted out.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned yet, but the new ‘Celebrity’ guest judge is Darren Robertson of Three Blue Ducks, partner of TV meteorologist Magdalena Roze and former host of Recipe to Riches on TEN.

MKR’s mystery judge revealed

Three Blue Ducks chef Darren Robertson to join Colin Fassnidge at the hottest dinner parties in town!

Australia’s number one show, MY KITCHEN RULES, will unleash a new judge on the next batch of exceptional home cooks this week.

Chef, restaurant owner, cookbook author, family man and avid surfer, Darren Robertson, will join judge, Colin Fassnidge, at the dinner table when Group 3’s Instant Restaurant round starts Wednesday 7.30pm on Channel Seven.

Robertson is chef and co-owner of Three Blue Ducks in Sydney’s Bronte and Rosebery, and The Farm in Byron Bay. His two cookbooks The Blue Ducks and The Blue Ducks Real Food have stemmed from their success. The Hertfordshire-born Brit trained in Michelin starred restaurants, then became known as the originator of the guerrilla dining movement in Australia. Now a passionate advocate of farm-to-table cooking, Darren champions sustainability and using organic local produce.

On joining his long-time friend on MKR, Robertson says:

“I’m stoked to be a part of such an iconic Australian show. From the diversity in characters to the food we get to eat, it’s been awesome. In terms of what I bring to the table - I’m honest, I have a fair bit of experience in the cooking game and I love to eat. Colin fires bullets from the hip and everyone ducks for cover, whereas I’m more of a sniper… but we all know he’s really a big softy. With Group 3, get ready for tears, some unfortunate events in the kitchen and some cracking cooks too.”

Of his new judging partner, Fassnidge says:

“I’ve known Darren for 20 years. He has worked for some of the greats in the world and the amount of knowledge he brings to the competition is huge. He’s cool, calm, collected and quite nice compared to me apparently. We don’t always agree on everything and that’s good. He’s also a beautiful looking man and a lot of the women at the table were flirting with him. Look out Manu!”

The Group 3 teams to be introduced to Australia on Wednesday are Melbourne besties, Caitie & Demi; first loves from Brisbane, Brett & Marie; mother and daughter Valerie & Courtney, also from Brisbane; Lebanese cousins from Adelaide, Lama & Sarah; Melbourne footy friends, Mark & Chris; and Wollongong business women, Mell & Cyn.

7.30PM MONDAY ON MKR…

A CHEATING SCANDAL ERUPTS!

You’re invited to the final instant restaurant of Group 2, hosted by ambitious Brisbane newlyweds, Alyse & Matt. They’re going all out to impress, but a night of high class ends in high drama as a cheating scandal erupts.

Leaderboard

Did anyone notice the clock near the front door as the guest teams left? It was showing 1.17am! Assuming the teams arrived at 6pm they would have spent more than seven hours at the instant restaurant. Clear evidence that the instant restaurant always finished close to or after midnight.
As for last night’s episode, Della and Tully wanted to create three great dishes but stress got the better of them. Their quail was undercooked and their dessert was average.

Wow so many low scoring teams this season with 8/11 team so far scoring in the low 60s or below! Maybe try and cast some better cooks next season?

Oh dear. Is this Married aT First Sight or a cooking show? :joy:

3 Likes

Some teams were just bad cooks (e.g. Josh and Amy) but others were overwhelmed by pressure as they tried to create standout dishes which could help them stay off elimination.
As for the cheating scandal, I think it would be Alyse and Matt using canned food or sauces in jars.

You do realise that the producers actually pick what dishes the teams are cooking from 30+ submitted recipes… right?

This seems to happen every single year. I’m not sure how it is “cheating” when every time they get penalised for it.

1 Like

It’s outrageous - it is a cooking competition after all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh damn it. I used tomato sauce last night. Cheating.

2 Likes

7.30PM TUESDAY ON MKR…

It’s all out war as Alyse & Matt take on Josh & Amy in Sudden Death elimination at Kitchen HQ!
The bottom two teams, seafood lovers Josh & Amy and newlyweds Alyse & Matt, face off in Kitchen HQ to determine the second team to be eliminated in MKR 2017. The stadium is set for a battle that doesn’t come any more bitter. Which team will cook their way to victory and who will be sent home?

Leaderboard

As it turned out, Alyse and Matt used red curry paste in a jar they bought at Coles. They were caught red handed when Pete went into the kitchen to see their cooking. The couple copped criticisms from both judges and guest teams (and rightly so) but remained defiant. Alyse recounted that it took a lot of time to make red curry, then why did they not start making the paste after they set up the instant restaurant? They could have made the curry at the same time as the panna cotta. Had they made the curry from scratch they would not have been marked down, and it would have been fellow Brisbane team Della and Tully going into sudden death against Josh and Amy.

Alyse and Matt will be sent home in the next episode.

2 Likes

Also helped that everything they did in the kitchen was recorded on tape :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tonight’s episode with the sudden death cook off between 2 teams that seem to hate each other and talk themselves up incessantly should make for good viewing.