My Kitchen Rules

Janelle and Monzir crowned MKR 2022 champions

Two points separate Grand Final teams

Tonight, Sydney couple Janelle and Monzir realised their dream of winning MKR, taking out the crown with a score of 27/30 in a fiercely fought battle with only two points separating them from Kate and Mary.

Heading into the competition, Janelle and Monzir were underdogs, but they wowed Manu Feildel, Curtis Stone and Colin Fassnidge with their four-course menu served to contestants, family, and friends at Kitchen HQ.

Janelle couldn’t believe it: “We won, we actually won! It doesn’t matter where you came from, you can achieve anything you want. There is no limit. This means everything to us.”

Monzir gave a shout-out to his mum, who was watching from the audience: “Thank you, mum, for teaching me everything and thank you for your support.”

The judges were in awe of the team’s authentic menu which paid homage to their heritage. Colin described it as “ballsy and delicious”, while Curtis said it was “full of heart and soul”.

With a score of 25/30, Queensland’s Kate and Mary were buoyant after their performance. “We are proud of what we have achieved. I think we did the very best we could,” said Kate on their place in the competition.

Each team had to cook four courses totalling 100 plates of food for the Grand Final, racing against the Kitchen HQ clock to win the championship title and $100,000 prize money.

Janelle and Monzir took victory with an entrée of Grilled Adana with Cacik, Sumac and Onion Salad with Bazlama; Kataifi Prawn with Haloumi and Watermelon Salad for their seafood dish; Monzir’s mum’s recipe for Sudanese Beef and Orka Stew for their main; and for dessert, Baklava with Kaymak Ice Cream and Candied Walnuts.

Judges’ Scores
Janelle and Monzir 27/30
Manu Feildel 9
Curtis Stone 9
Colin Fassnidge 9
Kate and Mary 25/30
Manu Feildel 9
Curtis Stone 8
Colin Fassnidge 8

^ I haven’t watched since Nigella left, but seems this result was known a while back.

I noticed the 12 teams were wearing the same clothes while recounting their experiences, from instant restaurants to the grand final. I wonder if they did the narration after the grand final was filmed?

2 Likes

I’d say that was another cost cutting method.

It was a pretty intense grand final last night. I think doubt and pressure got to Kate’s head, leading to her making several mistakes during cooking, thus she and Mary lost a couple of points from the judges.

I didn’t expect Janelle and Monzir to win the title. At least some of their dishes were original.

Janelle made a further post on the Facebook page of her cake design business, Sassy Sprinkles Cakery.

Edit: Janelle featured in an article on SBS website last week.

1 Like

I’m watching this years season on 7Plus as I missed it on 7 and what’s the go with the ads? Every single ad break has over 3 mins 40 seconds of ads. I don’t remember 7Plus being like this. That’s insane.

1 Like

Noticed some of the ad breaks were like that when watching Kitchen Nightmares. Not every ad break tho. Still incredibly annoying.

1 Like

It’s taking so long to get through each episode. I’ll make sure I catch everything on Fetch from now on. It’s just too painful. I’ll finish the season though.

Yes ive been watching Freevee over a VPN and they generally don’t have more tham 90 seconds of ads even though it’s not strictly a catchup service. They have got too greedy, they don’t seem to realise that they can’t have the same level of ads as their broadcast channels and i think that’s one main reason why a lot of people have stopped watching free to air TV when they can watch Stan, Netflix, Disney + with far less ads. If they cut ads by 3 minutes every hour I would argue advertisers would pay more per ad as their ads would not get lost in the crowd so they wouldn’t actually lose money and it would substantially improve the viewer experience. I use a service that allows me to download the shows as i can’t stand the 7plus ads.

1 Like
3 Likes

Nigella not returning next year?

From the upfront press release:

The superstar judges for the new series will be announced soon.

1 Like

She was obviously just a stunt then to relaunch the show.

2 Likes

Just imagine Preston and Meighan taking over the show.

The current season premieres on TVNZ2 in New Zealand next Monday (November 7) at 7.30pm.

TVNZ has revived the NZ version of MKR for 2023, with Manu Feildel and Colin Fassnidge as judges. Screentime New Zealand will produce the local version. The adaptation forms part of Banijay Rights’ new agreement for the show, with TVNZ securing the series long term. Banijay Rights is the international distributor of the original show and the format.
https://tbivision.com/2022/11/11/tvnz-returns-to-my-kitchen-rules-after-striking-tape-format-deal-with-banijay-rights/

Matt Preston and Gary Meighan hosting MKR AU while Manu Feildel and Colin Fassnidge hosting MKR NZ could work

1 Like

1 Like

Will it return to 1Q of the year as in the first 10 seasons or will it remian at 3Q?

I found on the Apple TV , if at the adbreak you exit out , wait about 5 seconds go back in again suddenly it drops the ads down to less than a minute to 30 secs .

According to the Herald Sun, Nigella Lawson will not be a part of the new season of My Kitchen Rules later this year. Manu Feildel and Colin Fassnidge will return, with a replacement for Lawson to be announced at a later date.

1 Like