My Kitchen Rules

I think the show itself is actually pretty good quality, and a lot better than other reality offerings seven have had.

If they give it some time and love I think there’s still hope for it. And give people a moment to rediscover it.

Given it’s launch pad of the back of the Commonwealth Games, the dollars they would have spent getting Nigella Lawson over here, and what it’s competition is rating, they would be worried. Very worried.

4 Likes

Maybe Seven should’ve ‘rested’ the show and then wait another 5-10 years before bringing it back ala The Block. Seems to have worked a wonder for them.

Or it might’ve been easier for Seven to choose a similar show in Come Dine with Me and produce that instead of MKR which has been tainted.

Still, interesting to see how MAFS and The Block thrives off drama, Masterchef and the likes doesn’t need drama whilst Seven can’t win either way with or without drama.

They could’ve started showing it a few weeks ago when Beauty and the Geek & Hunted were on Nine & Ten respectively (but of course would have to work around the Comm Games). It would’ve had a much better chance against those two programs IMO.

Alternatively, Seven can air it in early December. Even though it won’t be official ratings season, they can still do it with the aim of maximising ad revenue - would surely get more eyeballs than another repeat of Border Security. The only obstacle would be a day/night cricket test.

Unfortunately Seven programmers have no foresight.

1 Like

The first thing they should have done is restrict the show’s episode length to 1:15. Quite ridiculous that it doesn’t finish tonight until after 9:15pm.

6 Likes

Compensating for the fact that it’s only a short season?

Sweet and sour for MKR lovebirds

Steven and Frena’s twist on tradition backfires

Tonight on MKR, South Australian lovebirds Steven (31) and Frena (25) found themselves on the wrong end of the leader board, scoring 53/110 after making last-minute changes to their traditional Malaysian recipes.

The couple presented their entrée of Deep-Fried Squid and Onion with Special Sauce to judges Manu Feildel and Nigella Lawson, nervous about their addition of onion to the dish.

Manu liked the dish’s elements but questioned why they deviated from tradition by adding the fried onion. He praised the team for their sambal but encouraged the pair to cook what they know and love rather than over complicating a dish.

Nigella agreed, believing Steven and Frena had made the dish harder for themselves. “To do deep-fried squid rings for this many people in a domestic kitchen is hard, and you’ve doubled that by having onions. So you’ve hindered yourself.”

Back in the kitchen, Steven and Frena tried to shake off the disappointment of their entrée and focus on their main of Black Beef with Golden Yellow Rice and Acar. Although happy with the flavours of the main, Frena was worried about its presentation, fearing the plated dish looked “ugly".

While several teams deemed the beef’s texture too dry, Janelle quickly pointed out that it’s normal to eat meat on a dryer side in some cultures.

“It was perhaps a little bit drier than I’m used to, but I don’t actually think that mattered because the flavour was there, and I loved it,” said Nigella, whose only criticism was that the acar was too powdery.

Manu was pleased to see the team had cooked from their heart. “I wasn’t 100% happy with your entrée because you looked outside the box. Now you’ve done something pretty traditional, and it’s done good. That’s the type of food you need to keep doing.”

Steven and Frena emerged from the kitchen to serve their dessert, a Corn Pudding with Strawberries and Chocolate Sauce. The look on their faces said it all: their prized pudding hadn’t set.

The teams did their best to enjoy the team’s imperfect dessert, but some found it inedible. “I didn’t love this. I didn’t eat much of it because I didn’t like the corn flavour. It had like a gritty taste to it that I didn’t like. Wasn’t a vibe,” said Janelle.

Manu criticised the team for adding fruit, saying its moisture will always split the custard. Nigella was also disappointed the team had strayed from the traditional recipe.

"I’ve had Malaysian corn pudding and you’ve changed it. And I find that heartbreaking. Of course, everyone may cook it differently, but you wanted to bring us your flavours and you’ve taken them away,” said Nigella.

Steven and Frena scored 53/110, placing them at the bottom of the leader board and saving Victoria’s dad and daughter team Alice (56) and Peter (31) from elimination.

Judges’ Scores Entrée Main Dessert
Nigella Lawson 5 8 1 14
Manu Feildel 5 8 12 14
Total 28
MKR Team Scores
Peter and Alice 4
Ashlee and Matt 5
Janelle and Monzir 6
Arrnott and Fuzz 5
Kate and Mary 5
Total Score 25/50

Continues 7.30pm tomorrow on Channel 7 and 7plus

Tears and 10s

MKR’s Janelle and Monzir impress with family favourite

Tonight on MKR, NSW couple Janelle and Monzir scored the first perfect 10s of the competition from judge Manu Feildel and Nigella Lawson for their Sudanese entrée, a treasured family recipe from Monzir’s dad.

A nervous Janelle and Monzir presented their entrée of Sudanese Lamb Cutlets with Peanut Sauce and Cucumber Salad to Manu and Nigella.

Nigella was a big fan of the dish, saying it had just the right amount of heat. “Janelle and Monzir. Here’s to you two. I mean, that was knockout. Thank you. I have to say, Monz, you said that you like your meat well done and you didn’t do it well done. You got so much flavour and the texture was so luscious.”

Manu agreed, saying the duo had exceeded his already high expectations with their entrée, leaving a proud Monzir in tears.

Janelle and Monzir plate up their main of Imam Bayild, feeling the pressure after the success of the entrée.

The teams around the table agreed that the dish wasn’t seasoned or cooked enough.

Manu said the dish was presented well but was lacking punch. "I’m going to go straight to the point. For me, it’s just missing flavour.

“You’ve got to be heavy on the salt. Love the rice. I love this. So not a disaster, it’s not a bad dish, but it could have been a little bit better.”

Nigella also praised the team’s rice but echoed Manu’s critique on the lack of flavour. "That rice was a dream. It was soft; the grains were wonderfully separate. The pine nuts are wonderful and that light taste of stock.

“But you needed the fire on that eggplant. And I think that it was beautiful, but perhaps it would’ve been better if it had been less pretty, and each layer had just a little more depth of flavour.”

As a professional cake decorator, expectations were riding high for Janelle’s dessert of Chocolate and Peanut Layer Cake.

Nigella said the team’s cake was “enchanting", but respecting Janelle as a serious cake maker, she also shared her constructive criticism. “It was beautifully arranged on the plate; I could see these precise layers. That was a lovely start. It was a wonderful cake because it had the right balance of salt and sweet. It wasn’t overly sweet. The vanilla ice cream you made, I felt that the vanilla slightly encroached onto the peanut layer. It could have done without the vanilla ice cream, I think."

Manu liked the gooey and spongy texture of the cake but felt they could have left one component off the plate. “The sauce is absolutely delicious. The ice cream, it’s good ice cream. So, you’ve got goodness on the plate. But I think you’ve got too much at the same time. When you get too much of sweetness, it’s more like less is more sometimes.”

At the end of the fourth instant restaurant, Janelle and Monzir scored 84/110 putting them in second place on the leader board, just three points short of Kate and Mary.

Sunday night on MKR: What’s the dish that queen of the kitchen Nigella Lawson hasn’t tasted? Arrnott and Fuzz share their beloved Fiji on a plate, but will the pressure of plating up family recipes prove too much for the fabulous Fijians?

Judges’ Scores Entrée Main Dessert
Nigella Lawson 10 5 8 23
Manu Feildel 10 6 8 24
Total 47/60
MKR Team Scores
Peter and Alice 8
Ashlee and Matt 7
Kate and Mary 7
Arrnott and Fuzz 8
Steven and Frena 7
Total Score 37/50

Despite the lacklustre ratings, I’m actually enjoying the show this year. Nigela is a breath of fresh air too. My only real gripe is how long it runs - shouldn’t go past 8.40ish like the other shows on atm.

3 Likes

No Masked Singer tonight. Wonder if MKR will pick up viewers or if they’ll all go to The Block.

4 Likes

I’m hoping MKR picks up, it really is a good show. We could do much worse.

Good thing is I think with Nigella, MKR will sell in overseas markets. So it should be profitable.

3 Likes

I’m enjoying the more laid back MKR of old. Hope that continues through the challenges.

1 Like
1 Like

So basically Plate of Origin all over again with the judges.

4 Likes

Australia’s cooking superstars unite on MKR

Join Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan, Curtis Stone and Colin Fassnidge

The crème de la crème of Australia’s culinary world are joining forces for the first time. Don’t miss kitchen legends Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan, Curtis Stone and Colin Fassnidge on Australia’s favourite cooking show, MKR , on Channel 7 and 7plus.

MKR judge Matt Preston is an award-winning food journalist, best-selling author and broadcaster. Having judged cooking shows at home and abroad, he has a discerning eye for a winning dish and says he wants MKR teams to plate up tasty and unpretentious cooking.

Matt’s advice to the aspiring home cooks ahead of their instant restaurants? “Don’t show off; bring us the food you cook at home that your friends and family love. Also, your instant restaurant is not a place for first-time experimentation. Minimise your risks.”

Renowned chef, restaurateur, author and international television personality, MKR guest judge Curtis Stone makes a welcome return to the series. Chef-owner of famed Los Angeles restaurant Maude, Curtis is keen to share his knowledge and food philosophy – using the best local and seasonal ingredients and treating them simply – with this year’s contestants.

Having honed his taste chasing flavours across the world from Mumbai to Seoul, award-winning presenter, restauranteur and podcaster Gary Mehigan makes his return to Australian screens to put the MKR contestants to the test; while MKR favourite and guest judge Colin Fassnidge is back with his trademark direct style. Trained by the legendary Raymond Blanc, the chef and cookbook author is famous for his refined take on the nose-to-tail food philosophy.

Australia’s cooking superstars unite on the nation’s favourite cooking show MKR, 7.00pm Sunday and continuing 7.30pm Monday to Wednesday on Channel 7 and 7plus.

News Corp reports Steven and Frena had split, weeks after filming for this season ended. Frena is now believed to be dating a new partner - who is also called Steven. Her new man is a writer, director, producer and has a picture of the couple as his Instagram profile picture.

Plate of Origin was originally supposed to just be a special season of MKR. It was even called MKR: Plate of Origin in the first publicity briefs. It’s only when the previous season of MKR flopped that they tried to disassociate with the MKR brand and tried to make it look like a different show.

Seven’s intention was to use the MKR: Plate of Origin season to launch Matt Preston and Gary Mehugan as new judges, replacing Pete Evans.

Maybe they should have revived My Restaurant Rules from years back.

3 Likes

As per discussion in the Seven schedule area, MKR will now air Sunday to Wednesday - confirmed for the next 2 weeks.

3 Likes