My Kitchen Rules

Well, surely the amount of time it takes for the judges to eat the meal and give the critique would be the same as when the whole table ate the meal with them. Unless the judges were only taste testing it in the past but i don’t recall that to be the case.

Anyway, the preppers would probably appreciate a short break at that point.

I’ve never been a big fan or watcher of MKR, mainly because I much prefer Masterchef’s positivity and better standard of cooking over the years, but I watched last night.

It reminded me of the first season or two of the home instant restaurants, which is mostly a good thing. Not too negative, an emphasis on good home cooking and presenting dishes that are proven hits in their families and could be made by the average person with a bit of practice. Solid premise and differentiates it from Masterchef.

However - the amount dishes cooked and presented in a 75 minute episode last night (i.e. 3 dishes) was absolutely pathetic! Particularly when they were fairly straightforward dishes and two of them were poorly received by everyone at the table including the judges. As mentioned above, it took nearly 30 minutes of episode time before the first dish was on the table. I could see why MKR trended towards the drama around the table as the seasons went on because there’s just not enough there to keep things interesting when it is so drawn out.

I’d much prefer to see two instant restaurants in a 75-minute episode. That way everything would be a lot snappier, there would be a lot more taste testing, they wouldn’t need to manufacture too much drama when it isn’t there, plus viewers would have the benefit of being able to directly compare one pair’s dishes to another pair’s dishes on the same night which is sorely lacking with the existing format of the show.

Possibly in response to how last night’s ratings turned out, noticed Seven had a seperate promo for the Commonwealth Games, showcasing tonight’s final events, with an “after MKR”. There were still seperate MKR promos, but more of the games ones, maybe taking the place of some MKR ones.

MKR going half an hour later than the other 2 reality shows tonight. Wonder if viewers will change channels to sample it, or simply not bother?

She is a good host and makes the show watchable. The last few years of the Pete-Manu era was stale and outdated

2 Likes

Though they may if they’re switching to see the Games…

1 Like

Have we had a contestant not appear due to illness before?

Kate and Mary nail the quail

MKR’s fine diners shoot to the top of the leader board

Tonight on Australia’s favourite cooking show, MKR, Queensland fine diners Kate (38) and Mary (57) proved perfect preparation produces near-perfect scores, achieving 87/110 and taking first place on the leader board.

While their entrée of Fish, Braised Leek and Beurre Noisette didn’t pan out as planned, Kate and Mary’s quick thinking to bin the failed crispy fish skin saved their entrée from disaster.

Judge Manu Feildel said the presentation of their entree was “gorgeous”, but the fish was slightly overcooked. He said it was a great dish but needed a little more to make it a successful dish.

Desperate to improve on their entrée, Kate and Mary returned to serve their main of Brisbane Valley Quail with Fig and Goat’s Curd Salad. The consensus around the table was that Kate and Mary had nailed the cooking of the quail; a simple dish executed well.

Manu said it was a brilliant dish and a perfect main for Kate and Mary’s start in the competition.

“Very ballsy to be cooking 12 quails for all of us. Kind of a simple dish when you think about it, all you had to worry about was the quail, but yum! I loved it!

“I loved it because of its simplicity. But it’s got different layers of flavours that make the dish absolutely delicious. The quail is cooked to perfection.”

Riding high on the success of their main, Kate and Mary served their dessert of Macadamia Tart with Saffron Poached Pear.

Judge Nigella Lawson said the “smile-inducing” dish was beautiful, reminding her of the scent of an autumn garden and praised the team for their impeccable short pastry.

Manu was also impressed. “Your poached pears are absolutely done textbook. They’re juicy, well cooked, soft and fresh. And that pastry case is absolutely amazing.”

“After our instant restaurant, I think the other contestants are going to be double thinking what they’re doing at their instant restaurants,” said Kate.

“I think we are a real threat,” added Mary.

Tomorrow night on MKR: Engaged lovebirds Steven and Frena plan to showcase Frena’s heritage with their ambitious three-course menu.

Maybe Covid related or something? When was this filmed?

MKR drops 100k from Sunday’s premiere, pulling in only 400k last night. Will be interesting to see how it holds once the Commonwealth Games wraps. The Block more than doubling MKR last night.

Still doing better than Holey Moley and Ultimate Tag isn’t it.

That’s not saying much

2 Likes

Worse than ep 2 of Holey Moley that had 737,000

2 Likes

To Seven: Just axe it and put it out of its misery.

I wasn’t convinced that this would work and sure enough it flops. Find something new and engaging please!

1 Like

I think 7 made a mistake by not changing hosts like Masterchef and bringing in new people that haven’t on TV since forever.

Its funny, as watching last night, and seeing the ads for Aus Idol and AGT made me think about how they are really just recycling everything at the moment.

4 Likes

Sunday launch > 503,000 metro viewers
Monday (last night) > 408,000 metro viewers

I see this is not going to go well in the ratings battle over The Block and The Masked Singer.

I don’t think the 400k number is a reflection of the quality of the show. The problem is MKR is up against two powerhouses in The Block and The Masked Singer.

I think the reboot has been done really well so far, and if there was no serious competition, it could easily get 700-800k viewers. I wouldn’t be too concerned if I was Seven.

When is there a case of ‘no serious competition’? It is always going to be up against competition and Seven has to find some show to air.

It’s had an enviable promo launch coming out of 30-40 % shares for Seven. It should have done much better. I’d be worried it I was Seven.

Worth noting that the show is picking up extra viewers with BVOD - but so is the competition. The Block so far has double the VPM audience much like the linear viewing.

5 Likes

I dont know if I was just so used to the old voice-over, but am I the only one really not a fan of the new voiceover? To me, it just seems like she is talking down to the viewers.

1 Like