My Kitchen Rules

According to Mediaweek, Matt and Luke got an 8 from Rachel Khoo, while they secured 10s from Pete, Liz Egan and Guy Grossi. Ibby and Romel had eight scores of 9, but no 10s.

1 Like

These were the scores

Ibby & Romel, NAJAH

Shannon Martinez 8 “I’m going to try and rip it (shish barak) off at home, fantastic”
Rachel Khoo 9 “The shish barak was moreish, I just couldn’t get enough”
Sean Connolly 9 “Your shish barak
 was a world class dish”
Liz Egan 9 “Your kibbeh nayeh, talk about playing to your audience, wonderful”
Guy Grossi 9 “Your kangaroo was an amazing dish, grand final worthy”
Karen Martini 8 “Loving these flavours”
Colin Fassnidge 9 “I commend you on cooking the octopus, not a lot of people would have done that in the competition”
Pete Evans 9 “You took us on an exciting adventure”
Manu Feildel 9 “An amazing five-course meal”
TOTAL 88/100

Matt & Luke, POWERPLAY

Shannon Martinez 9 “This team knows how to make sauces!”
Guy Turland 9 “For me the highlight was the barramundi, cooked to perfection”
Rachel Khoo 8 “Those beef cheeks were melt in the mouth, I really enjoyed the classic flavours”
Sean Connolly 9 “I love the beef cheek, it just made my knees go weak”
Liz Egan 10 “I can’t actually pick a hero on the plate because they’re all fabulous”
Guy Grossi 10 “Aside from the fact you guys have a really in depth understanding of the technical side of cooking, you also took me places”
Karen Martini 9 “Holy moly, that beef cheek was superb but you really brought it home with dessert, divine”
Colin Fassnidge 9 “You wowed me the whole competition and you wowed me again today”
Pete Evans 10 “You saved the best for last”
Manu Feildel 9 “This (confit salmon) is perfect”
TOTAL 92/100
3 Likes

Mediaspy is always more helpful than a google search, besides, I enjoy your opinions.

Why was MKR shortened this year?

Was it due to contestants withdrawing?

If so why and why did they withdraw.

1 Like

This season of MKR had the most number of episodes of any so far at 50 - last 2 years have had 49. It finished earlier because last year there was a 3-week break for the Comm Games.

The average overnight audience for this season of MKR was 793,000. It was down a massive 39% from last season and 49% from the 2017 season.

3 Likes

Only one set of contestants withdrew.

Stacey and Ash were forced to withdraw from the competition due to Ash contracting a severe infection in the socket of the eye he lost in a fight some years ago.

2 Likes

Yikes, that is awful.

Thanks @TV.Cynic, forgot about that, they were forgettable games!

What do we think this is due it? The show? The format? Or TV in general?

Mixture of all three and Married at First Sight

4 Likes

Had Stacey and Ash not withdrawn from competition, there would be two more cooking challenges, bringing the episode count for this season to 52.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s really interesting for numerous reasons. It means Seven’s 2nd half lineup once again looks pretty bare. Yes, they’ve got shows like ‘Bride and Prejudice’ and ‘Australia’s Got Talent’ to come but none really stands out as potentially being ‘competitive’ against The Block.

As to ‘MKR 2.0’ airing in Q1 2020, I’ll save judgment until we hear more about a ‘settled’ format for it. All I’ll say is the plan won’t work if this new show is too similar to MKR

2 Likes

From what I’m hearing it’s nothing like MKR, they’re just essentially using the branding
 although the final version hasn’t been signed off as things are still changing.

2 Likes

They also have Wife Swap and Zumbo now.

Set to air this year. It wouldn’t make sense for them to program the same type of show up against MAFS (but of course that’s not to say programmers wouldn’t do it).

1 Like

Season 10 premieres on DIVA TV channel across South East Asia on Monday night, May 27. It airs on Monday to Wednesday nights at 9.25pm Hong Kong time.

It debuted in South Africa one week earlier on May 20 on M-Net Channel 101. It airs weekdays at 5.30pm.

Seven has season 2 of Zumbo’s Just Desserts in the can, but it will be no match to The Block.

Haven’t they got the MKR spinoff with Colin?

1 Like

Details here: https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/6/3/seven-confirms-tv-blackbox-my-kitchen-rules-exclusive

2 Likes

Looks to me the MKR spinoff has been shelved.
Here is an excerpt of the podcast interview with Seven’s director of network programming Angus Ross regarding MKR.

Despite the very competitive Q1 battle, Ross said: “My Kitchen Rules is incredibly important to us and it is coming back in Q1 in 2020. We have a few ideas to reinvigorate and reimagine the show. The good thing about reality formats is that every year you are starting again.”

Ross confirmed that Seven would not be moving MKR.

“We won’t be screening a [second] stunt series at the back end of this year.” Ross confirmed there would be no tenth anniversary special series, which was mentioned at the Allfronts in October last year.

Ross explained: “After how things played out in Q1, the smarter thing to do was to consolidate for Q1 next year.”

As to the performance of the MKR format Ross asked and answered a question: “Would I have liked My Kitchen Rules to have done better numbers? Of course I would.”

1 Like

I can understand their logic behind bringing it back for Q1 2020. I just think 7 play it safe too often and this is another case of that.

1 Like

I really don’t think there ever was a plan for a second season of MKR this year, exactly.

They wanted to create a spin-off show starring Colin Fassnidge and it was going to initially run under the MKR brand. With ratings for MKR falling, they’ve had a rethink and will disassociate the new show from the MKR brand.

Pushing that into 2020, also prevents viewer fatigue in the genre. Haven’t they already said that the spin-off show will run in early 2020?

1 Like