Music

His third studio album What Ifs & Maybes dropped today. It features radio favourites “Remind Me” and “All These Nights”, while “How Does It Feel” will be featured on So Fresh: The Hits of Winter 2023 which drops on June 30.

1 Like

Minogue is now tied with Diana Ross, Cher, and Lulu as one of only four female solo artists to have scored UK top 10 singles across five consecutive decades.

4 Likes

Really hope Bebe Rexha is ok after that scare. From what I heard she got some stitches over her left eye (I think it was).

Later she posted on Instagram confirming she was ok, with the caption “I’m good”.

2 Likes

Taylor Swift is touring Australia in February 2024, however she will only perform in Melbourne and Sydney.

5 Likes

And only a few days later, Ava Max got attacked by a fan who jumped onto the stage while she was performing “The Motto” towards the end of her LA show.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/he-slapped-me-so-hard-singer-ava-max-speaks-out-after-being-assaulted-on-stage-by-male-fan/news-story/4b6185385edac5e07984d5ea1dc0898f

1 Like

Almost no one was surprised by the surprise appearance of The Foo Fighters at Glastonbury. They had been billed as The Churnups.

1 Like
3 Likes

Fall Out Boy has released an updated version of the Billy Joel classic We Didn’t Start The Fire, complete with events from the past 34 years.

A little gripe I have with it is it’s not in chronological order like the original version, but I can see what they did. Still great nonetheless.

3 Likes

No surprises in the latest ARIA Charts update…

Singles: Olivia Rodrigo’s comeback single “Vampire” has debuted at number one.

Albums: Taylor Swift swept the top five.

1 Like

Not really a “comeback”. I mean, she didn’t go anywhere. She had music that was released in 2021 and still charting in 2022. So it’s better described as her new or latest single.

3 Likes

What I meant by “comeback” was that it was her first new music for nearly two years. Her last entry, “good 4 u”, dropped out of the top 50 in early September last year. But yes she did have music chart quite well in the first half of 2022.

Similarly, I considered Lewis Capaldi’s “Forget Me” (released at the same time Olivia’s last entry left the charts) to be his comeback single, the Scot having not released any new music for over two years.

1 Like

No big deal. I’m just saying that it’s not how that term is usually used.

It’s usually applied to someone who takes a break for a few years and then decides to come back to what they do.

4 Likes

This is an interesting read

1 Like

The final release on Milk!, which Barnett started out of her bedroom back in 2012, will be End Of The Day, her fourth studio album.

1 Like

The official singles charts are just becoming more and more ridiculous as time goes on.

So this week because Taylor Swift has released a new version of an old album, each stream of that album is counted as a single on the singles chart. Combine that with a spike in streams of her other music due to her concert tickets going on sale, she has 20 out of the top 50 singles on the chart. This is a joke.

With all the streams of old songs also still charting, there’s practically no room for new music any more. It’s a joke to see these songs still there: Heat Wave by Glass Animals 136 weeks in, Sunflower by Post Malone and Swae Lee 79 weeks, Riptide by Vance Joy 55 weeks in.

5 Likes

The good news is it isn’t that crazy over on the NZ charts, only 3 out of the top 40 are Swift-related.

The problem lies in the fact that of those three, two are leftovers from the smash hit Midnights album (truth be told, I’m absolutely sick of hearing Anti-Hero on the radio), while the other is a 2019 song that only got re-released because it went viral on TikTok or whatever and has somehow reached number FIVE here. These are all old songs. And it’s not just Taylor either. Artists like Harry Styles, OneRepublic and Sam Smith still have their tired hits from last year (As It Was, I Ain’t Worried and Unholy respectively) clogging up a charting system which should be reflective of the songs of now.

I haven’t even mentioned the fact that there’s only one, that’s right one NZ artist on the whole Top 40 right now. And while I do enjoy L.A.B., it again is another song from last year. Which brings me full circle.

The way the industry in both countries saturate the charts with American and British hits purely based on social media trends while ignoring the promotion of local artists annoys me to no end. At least your guys have a chance with Triple J and stuff like that.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Olivia Rodrigo’s “vampire” was dislodged from the top, though not by too much. Number two.

1 Like

Not surprising though. That song just sounds exactly the same as her previous two big hits.

2 Likes

More than that long since it came out

3 Likes