Nova Network

They belong on Smooth or 2Day.

2 Likes

Curiously, Michael Wipfli from Fitzy and Wippa with Kate Ritchie is off this week, taking a week’s holiday before the other two also go on their scheduled break. This is after Kate Ritchie took a week off at Easter.

They get so many holidays throughout the year with survey breaks, it’s crazy that they’re taking additional weeks too now.

ETA: Fitzy revealed today that Wippa will be away for two weeks. Turns oit he went to the weddiing of of chef Guillaume Brahimi and heiress Tamie Ingham. Karl Stefanovic is also in attendance and wife Jasmine is a bridesmaid.

3 Likes

So they finally added this song to their playlist this week after it has been on the chart for 29 weeks. I heard them play it twice in the last two days even though I rarely tune in now. :joy:

1 Like

and yet they keep playing Becky Hill’s and Tom Grennan’s music even though their charting records in Australia are quite poor - collectively, they’ve only had three songs chart in the top 50.

Not against them playing their songs. They’re definitely fresh hits and music that suits Nova (or at least what Nova was until recently).

They need to get on board with Kylie Minogue -Padam Padam. It has peaked at #29 in Australia this week but is huge on Tik Tok and charting better overseas #12 in the UK last week.

2 Likes

As a fan of Becky Hill and Tom Grennan I can’t complain about Nova continually playing their music. In fact, Becky was one of the most played artists on Australian radio last year (if not the most played) - not only was Remember (her collab with David Guetta) the second-most played song in 2022, her late-2021 hit “My Heart Goes (La Di Da)” was played quite frequently towards the end of 2021 and well into early last year.

Given David Guetta also had a number one hit in the final quarter of last year, I’d guess that he was the most-played DJ on Australian radio…

1 Like

Seperate playlists for Syd/Mel/Bris this morning.

4 Likes

It was interesting to hear the discussion about the playlist again on Rikki Lee, Tim and Joel last week. Joel Creasey said that they were at a Nova event at the Opera House last week and he confronted the Nova Music Director about it, particularly why Nova wasn’t playing Padam Padam by Kylie Minogue. Interestingly I heard it played on Nova on the weekend. Maybe he listened to Joel and maybe the playlist problems stem from the director being out of touch with the latest music.

5 Likes

I don’t understand this. Padam Padam has played on Nova daily since it dropped.

3 Likes

It was played in the countdown at nights or Aus content after 10pm but it wasn’t on the playlist as such.

The point was that songs like Anti-Hero and Flowers were still being played every 2 to 4 hours even though they have been around for six months or more. They were having fun with Calm Down by Rema and Selena Gomez finally being played and they were also taking the piss out of Nova playing all this American Country music like Morgan Wallen and Luke Combs with the umpteenth cover version of Fast Car.

6 Likes
2 Likes

This isn’t the first time they’ve had Smallzy doing breakfast during survey break. I wonder if they’re prepping him to replace Fitzy and Wippa?

1 Like

I’d say it’s because they don’t have anybody else.

3 Likes

Normally they do best of F&W during mid year survey breaks.

KIIS is doing best of KJO over the two week break.

If Smallzy was to replace F&W, at Breakfast they would need to find him a cohost, and skew the station younger 18-39. Also they would need a replacement night show and host.

4 Likes

I noticed Nova Throwbacks is a bit Lame, given the FM Stations already include Throwbacks in their Playlist plus Nova has Seperate 90’s & 2000’s Stations, Time for Them to Replace Nova Throwbacks with Something that’s lacking in Australia, Similar to Radio X in the UK & The Rock in New Zealand, playing Harder Rock & Alternative that Triple M Regularly never plays.

3 Likes

I remember a time in 2008 when Nova would regularly play “Paralyzer” by Finger Eleven. Nowadays that song never gets played on radio in Australia.

6 Likes

Not a bit. It’s a lot lame. A small playlist that has been played to death and makes you switch stations.

So many other songs that could be played but aren’t. I hear better throwbacks on KIIS and I Heart Australia. Even Coles and Woolworths play better throwbacks when I’m in the supermarket.

6 Likes

Nova largely abandoned alternative around 2011 when they focussed on more mainstream music.

Interestingly , their ratings now in the 2 biggest markets (Syd/Melb) are higher than when they were playing a more varied playlist in the mid-2000s.

It helps that Smooth FM is a colossus, which also didn’t exist in the mid-2000s.

Is that true? There was a time when Nova was #1 FM in Sydney.

2 Likes
3 Likes