Movies

Oh yes the latest Christopher Nolan one, with KILL-E-AN Murphy? Also can’t wait!

The actors walked the black carpet at 5.45pm (UK time) at Odeon Luxe in Leicester Square, before filmmaker Christopher Nolan told the audience once inside the cinema: ‘they’re off to write their picket signs’.

2 Likes

It’s all quite extraordinary isn’t it!

Dead Reckoning: Part One currently stands at stands at $12.2 million so far, after two weeks in cinemas.

1 Like

In a statement, (Eric) Bana said the postponement came with “some regret, but a large amount of conviction”.

“I’m incredibly proud of this much anticipated Australian film and want to be able to do it justice by promoting it thoroughly,” he said.

“Due to the SAG-AFTRA strike, of which I am a long-standing member, it is not possible to do that at this time. Just as we did with The Dry, our plan is to be face-to-face with the cinema-going public, through event screenings, Q&A’s, and press appearances at the time of release. I stand in support of the changes that SAG-AFTRA is fighting for on behalf of all working actors. I apologise for any inconvenience it causes anyone who has pre-purchased tickets to our already sold-out Q&A sessions.”

1 Like

Barbenheimer “official” trailer. :wink:

3 Likes

Warner Bros has made it official that Barbie has collected the best previews of not only this summer but all of 2023 with $22.3M ,

1 Like

Looks like it’ll be Barbie with 2023’s glory, at least in terms of live-action/non-animation (Super Mario did $1b+ and some other animations have also done very well), as did at least one Disney Marvel MCU instalment. It’ll also certainly be well on top of this current cluster of Indiana Jones (disappointing) / Mission Impossible (mediocre if not disappointing) / Barbie (aforementioned) / Oppenheimer (doing well all things considered - did it really expect to match or out-do Barbie?)

I’ve seen Indy with relatives and really enjoyed it (box office and some critics aside and IMO improvement over Crystal Skull) and am about to see Oppenheimer with mates, wanted to see MI: 7 but will probably now wait for digital/rent in a month or so (guess/hopefully) and not that fussed with Barbie but I guess I’ll have to see it eventually, maybe when it drops on a streaming subscription in about 6 months.

Lead up to Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years will be the next swarm of big releases I’m guessing.

I think it probably did better going up against Barbie since they really piggybacked on the Barbie publicity juggernaut in media and social media. Would people have talked about that movie as much if it wasn’t up against Barbie in its opening weekend?

1 Like

I went to see Oppenheimer yesterday and the cinema was half full for a 2pm session. The movie had a great ensemble cast and the storyline provided plenty of things to think about.

1 Like

Well, there you go, Sunday matinee and first weekend for one of 2023’s most anticipated and with Barbie publicity in a big city (presuming a popular Village or Hoyts too)… And already only half full (probably VMax / XtremeScreen too!) Not amazing. I suspect it’ll do far better domestically (North America) than Internationally, which it seems to have thus far, USA military nuclear WWII vs a global iconic doll/toy brand.

I’m going to see Oppenheimer at The Astor in Melbourne in 70mm tomorrow night, couldn’t get IMAX tickets as it is completely sold out until August 27th.

Saw Barbie at Jam Factory in South Yarra at 2pm yesterday and the session was almost completely sold out, the candy bar and lobby area was rammed with people - was such a great atmosphere - sessions for Oppenheimer seemed busy as well.

1 Like

Barbie earned $19.6 million from 768 screens, or $21.7 million with previews, making it the best opening for a film this year, while Oppenheimer delivered $9.4 million from 489 screens.

What ‘Dial Of Destiny’s Box Office Flop Means For Franchise Blockbusters

‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Takes a Hit at Global Box Office Amid “Barbenheimer” Mania

The Little Mermaid has become available for digital purchase today.

A member of India’s Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) government, Uday Mahurkar, described Oppenheimer as an “attack on Hinduism” over the use of Sanskrit in a scene.

Note: article contains some spoilers

2 Likes

@TV.Cynic It’ll just about have to do $1b dollars then! Margot Robbie’s reported box office joke to WB executives ringing true :rofl:

Ellen bloody Burstyn, what a legend, 90 years old (and still should’ve won that 2001 Oscar for Requiem not Julia Roberts and if you still haven’t seen the OG horror classic The Exorcist do yourself a favour!)

End of an era

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/end-of-an-era-disney-announces-huge-change-for-australian-fans/news-story/fde5b9eb6e9fb35d645779ccc3c7cd83

3 Likes