Movies

I assumed he meant titular, which is correct. Not sure what you were correcting him on.

1 Like

Yes, I meant titular character. Tár is the last name of Cate Blanchett’s character.

2 Likes
1 Like

sounds like the dying gasps of a chain.

honestly there’s not much to get me to the cinema anymore. by the time you pay for tickets, snacks and drinks, than you have to deal with the public who talk, play on there phones and are just crappy people, its a bad experience. even with a cheap readings cinema as my closest, i still debate if its worth it.

at one time i literally went twice a week for about a year when i was dating my wife. i saw everything released. we would see kids movies because it was something we had not seen.

last movie i saw in the cinemas was Spielberg’s west side story which came out in dec 2021. i’m planning on seeing oppenheimer and wicked when they come out, but that’s it. its not worth it

The nature of my work means I often have days off during the week and I find that a good time to go as it’s a bit quieter etc.

Having said that, seeing Avatar:TWOW and Top Gun last year on a huge screen was really cool.

i saved top gun because in september in the space of 9 days i flew to london and back, so i wanted to watch it on the plane. i did and i quite enjoyed it. otherwise it would have been one to get me to the cinema

Megastar actor speaks out about brutal axing:
Brendan Fraser and Leslie Grace weren’t told of Batgirl’s cancellation

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/brendan-fraser-and-leslie-grace-werent-told-of-batgirls-cancellation/news-story/5d07ae469233654c820c623325cf677c

IMAX is returning to Sydney

So sad to hear Bruce Willis has been diagnosed with dementia overnight, after his aphasia diagnosis a year ago.

It also makes me wonder how he managed to churn out 12 low-budget/limited release/direct-to-video movies the past two years before he retired abruptly from acting. Was he indeed medically unfit and didn’t really know what he was signing on for? Exploited by studios/producers? Mismanaged by his agent? All of the above? At least he went out with a bang! Not that anyone has heard of them and might not see them until they land randomly on streaming one day.

1 Like

Hasn’t he sold his image to an AI company so he continues making movies forever?

There’s so much speculation about this out there, mostly resolving in the conclusion that he genuinely needed the money.

1 Like

Re-watched The Cable Guy from 1996, it’s available on Paramount Plus streaming, what a throwback, hadn’t seen it for about 15 years. Used to watch it all the time on Ten in the 2000s. One of Jim Carrey’s only ‘shtick’ performances I can tolerate, Matthew Broderick and a top support cast for then with the likes of Leslie Mann (I’m pretty sure married the film’s producer Judd Apatow of mid-2000s adult comedy and Seth Rogen collab fame), Owen Wilson and one of Ben Stillers directorial works (he also memorably cameoed as a perp throughout the movie as a gag). The specific genre was also odd, in that it was a comedy, especially goofy consideing Carrey, but with a lot of great actors and a rather psychological thriller/dark tone, almost a black comedy without really being one per sĂ©. I’m sure other MS members older and younger are also fans :slight_smile:

Watching The Story of Us (1999) [Universal] on Binge. It breaks my heart knowing what’s happening to Bruce Willis, one of my childhood icons and one of Hollywood’s most famous actors :cry:

The Story of Us (1999) Publicity Still

This, a forgotten picture, was one of his rare dramatic performances (the same year as another and arguably his most reveered in “The Sixth Sense”) truly showed his range, he could seriously flex his acting chops. And of course was a star from his action vehicles and did comedy well too, not to mention his breakout (and another favourite of mine) in the show “Moonlighting” with Cybill Shepherd.

Everything Everywhere All at Once dominated this year’s Oscars, winning 7 out of 11 nominations.

Two presentations were omitted from the Oscars telecast outside America. The first one was the launch of the official trailer for the remake of The Little Mermaid, introduced by Halle Bailey (Ariel) and Melissa McCarthy (Ursula). Here is the local version of the trailer, with the movie release date of May 26.

The second was a sizzle reel celebrating Warner Bros’ 100th anniversary, introduced by Morgan Freeman (who also narrated the reel) and Margot Robbie.

1 Like

Aren’t both of those considered to be adverts or infomercials?

Both are considered by AMPAS (which gives out the Oscars) as infomercials, however they were both introduced on stage and was part of the awards telecast for ABC in America.

Here’s a story which confirms they were paid advertisements, which is why they were not shown outside the US.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/other/why-australians-didn-t-see-margot-robbie-present-at-the-oscars-2023/ar-AA18xK8Z?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=b1262ae1dcaf452c9750b6551558291e&ei=12

1 Like

Gwyneth Paltrow wins her court case plus $1 (and probably legal fees).

Walking out of the court room she says something to to the man who was suing her:

The Candlelight Concert Series will be held in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. Here are the dates:
Melbourne - National Theatre, St Kilda, April 21
Sydney - St Stephen’s Uniting Church, April 22 and May 27
Brisbane - St John’s Cathedral, April 22
Perth - Town Hall, August 26

1 Like

A lot of buzz for the Barbie movie. I hope it lives up to the hype. Huge cast list with quite a few surprises including a few British actors. The movie posters featuring all of them with tag lines are a bit of fun.

2 Likes