Movies on TV

Wow thats probally the earliest I’ve ever seen a movie come on the FTA. I’ve wanting to watch this on Stan and still hav’nt got around to it lol.

Probably because it’s not a Hollywood studio title requiring windowing.

1 Like

I was scrolling through the libraries of a few streamers the other day, looking for an old popcorn flick, I settled on “Lethal Weapon 4” (1998) via Binge. Immediately I noticed the shocking opening logo plastering job, it was so bad and I realised it’s also available on some other streaming platforms such as Paramount+ so quickly checked their version and it was totally different - somehow they had the original one (even though I’m pretty sure they’ve just got rights to a Warners package whereas Foxtel have had just about forever - Seven’s copy is also the same with the cover up and Nine’s master from the early 2000s was the original). I couldn’t screenshot svod services as they restrict their official vision due to copyright, but sourced from YouTube what I saw, below.

Binge print:

2003 WB remaster logo cover up:

It fades to black for half a second and then crashes in with the original anniversary logo still partially seen in the background, as it’s where the movie logo animation with the fireball and opening credits continue:

Paramount Plus and original print:

Original 35mm theatrical print, transferred to a digital 16:9 widescreen high def for TV:

I wondered if perhaps Binge’s version is their broadcast master that WB provide, seen on their movie channels and Now/GO - like Seven’s? Whereas Paramount Plus’ version is vod only? Doesn’t really make sense otherwise why/how/if Warners have two different masters available for distribution to various mediums globally.

It’s like, why bother! :man_facepalming:

(image credits: YT, Logo Archive and Warner Bros Logos)

2 Likes

Maybe Paramount got the US version? And Binge the international version just by a mistake/quirk?

1 Like

Possible, but extremely rare this happens, they’re usually different departments (although same division/under the same umbrella) and handled carefully, consideirng how much money is exchanging hands at the licencing/syndication level.

Sony Pictures TV Int’l used to include their licencing logo at the very end of every show/movie they provided to mediums globally, such as when Seven aired Seinfeld. However domestic and international just use the standard SPTV logo now (without the Int’l), pretty much the only distributor now to still use a seperate/specific logo on such titles.

1 Like

I noticed Disney / Fox have stopped allowing rentals of their movies here on iTunes, etc and have also removed some titles. I wonder if this is to try to increase Disney+ subs? It’s not the first time they’ve changed their licencing here, terminating their agreement with Nine at the end of 2019.

2 Likes

Saturday 25 March

On Seven in Brisbane and Perth, 7Mate in Melbourne and Adelaide. Sydney misses out because of NSW election coverage.

1 Like

For a moment I thought some changes were in the works when I saw this was released by MGM/UA and on Seven, but turns out only in North America, co-financed/produced by Miramax (now owned by Paramount). Licenced here and internationally by Studiocanal. At least it’s a FTA premiere and good start time again for the later movie and well under two years windowing for this too since theatrical premiere - during COVID/lockdowns too where many would’ve missed it anyway.

1 Like

Dream Horse

Seven Friday 6 April 8:30 pm (except Melbourne)

For the Love of Chocolate

Nine: Friday 6 April 12:00 noon

7flix Wednesday 5 April 8:30pm

With the new Super Mario movie in cinemas next week, Does Nine still have the rights to the original Super Mario movie (aired on 9Go last year)?

Networks used to be good at scheduling the original movie when a sequel or remake is released in cinemas. Easy ratings.

It’s on SBS on Demand at the moment, pretty sure I’ve seen it pop up on World Movies before, but can’t see it in the schedule for this week.

1 Like

Seven:

Saturday 8 April 8:50PM Seven and 7Mate

Nine:

Sunday 9 April 9:30 PM 9Go!

Monday 10 April Midday

Friday 14 April Midday

Friday 14 April 8:30 PM (Nine/9Gem)

I notice that the Harry Potter movie franchise has returned to Nine, after five years on Seven. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone will be shown on Nine on Saturday, April 15 at 7.30pm.

2 Likes

I think you mean less than 5 years actually, wasn’t it the end of 2018 and Seven last ran them some months back?

2 Likes

Harry Potter was last on Nine in November 2017.

4 Likes

So HP’s tenure at Seven was shorter than I thought.

2 Likes

I wonder if Nine still has the extended version of Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone in its archives? They played it up until they lost the rights to Seven.

2 Likes

It seems that nobody is airing the 2005 Charlie of the Chocolate Factory movie this year for some reason. Ten had it last year and Nine the previous two, but nobody is this year.

There are plenty of movies from years gone by that don’t air on FTA.

1 Like