Movies on TV

Tonight (Saturday 7 January) 10:30 pm

ABC TV Thursday 26 January 9:30 PM

Seven is showing Detective Pikachu as filler for the cancelled Horse Racing coverage this afternoon. Strange choice for filler. Are they not allowed to show Lifetime movies on weekends? :slight_smile:

1 Like

SBS Viceland Sunday 22 January 4:30 PM

(English title: Master Cheng: A Spice for Life)

World Movies flog this one.

Nine:

Friday 3 February 8:30pm

Saturday 4 February 11:00 pm

Wow the dry being on tv just scares me how fast time is going. :neutral_face:

Nine

Friday 10 February 8:30 PM and 10:20 PM

Saturday 11 February 8:30 PM

I’m not sure if it’s been on tv before but I just noticed 7 is showing the Australian movie Pimped.

Australian film from 2020 - June Again (starring Noni Hazlehurst, Claudia Karvan and Stephen Curry) - get’s its television premiere next Friday (17 February) on Channel Nine at the riveting time of midday. Later that night at 8.30pm, the umpteenth airing of Muriel’s Wedding is showing on Nine.

Why midday? Surely this deserves a primetime spot.

2 Likes

1 Like

Nine

Friday 24 February Midday

Interesting that Seven’s recent deals/re-negotiations with studios appear vastly different, in that they’re uploading their movies after broadcast to 7Plus for on-demand from (e.g.) Sony, Icon and eOne, but not Warner Bros, Disney and Universal.
Disney I can understand, consideing “Disney Plus” (even though as we’ve observed over the past year and recently reported that they’re allowing licencing again for Walt Disney/Marvel content to FTA but only under a tie-in strategy for Disney Plus promoted right before and during ad breaks including sponsor boards). But consideing a big studio like Sony has allowed them to up-load, wonder why their newest one in Universal hasn’t? Warner Bros I can understand as that was signed years ago when bvod wasn’t like it is now and its already lapsed, with many already back on Nine.
If you jump onto 7Plus under the “movies” tab, you can see this for yourself.

While, AFAIK, 9Now aren’t allowed to up-load any from their current deals, same with 10 Play. Wonder if that’s something to do with them having established svod services in Stan and Paramount Plus. And ABC iView and SBS On Demand upload plenty from various providers, the former ad-free of course, but the latter with ads like 7Plus (though not as many).

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

Well, an observation then

Nine - new for Sydney and Brisbane; shown last year on 1 April in AFL markets.

Saturday 4 March 11:00 PM

9GO! Tuesday 28 February 9.30pm

Another observation and a strange one, with Seven’s new NBC-U output, it appears movies outside Bravo (such as “Blue Crush” on 7flix last night) are also now uplaoded after broadcast (for a limited time) to 7Plus. However, not the ones that air on Bravo (such as “Definitely, Maybe”, “Brokeback Mountain”, “Wimbledon” and “Get Him To The Greek” recently) - even though all or most other Bravo content is being uploaded to 7Plus.

It makes me wonder if that “Movie Club” timeslot on Sunday nights was not in Seven’s original bid but rather came as a ‘bonus’ with the channel (which we know is largely being run externally), seeing as they did get vod rights for all those shows like “Below Deck” etc. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Seven had no say on that slot and aren’t even involved in programming those movies, nor have access to them for their other channels/7Plus - if so I’m guessing ones that Seven didn’t cherry pick/ want for their wider output. @OnAir or someone across the ditch, I don’t suppose you’ve observed what NZ’s Bravo situation is like with their “Movie Club” timeslot(s) and titles between that and other channels on the same network/company?

9GO! Thursday 2 March 9.30pm

This movie premiered on Stan on September 1 last year.

1 Like