Movies on TV

Willy Wonka is on Nine tonight, might give the Good Friday Appeal a run for its money

In December, there are plenty of Christmas movies that air on FTA. But come Easter time, not so many “Easter and/or Religious films” would air.

I know Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory aired last night. It involves chocolate (not quite easter eggs though…).

In the past, films like the controversial The Passion of the Christ would air. That hasnt been seen on fta for some time now.

Im sure that there are kids Easter Bunny films that could air during the day too.

2 Likes

The Greatest Story Ever Told used to be a regular Easter movie.

Nine is showing Noah on Saturday - a Biblical story.

2 Likes

I also recall The Ten Commandments regularly airing

edit

A now very rare second Saturday prime time promo and for a FTA premiere (from TVW-7 Perth around 8:50pm):

2 Likes

Someone at SBS has realised they still own the rights. It’s on NITV, lol. Too late now for the ratings it would’ve got if they aired it last week.

Seems a lot of movies air on NITV these days.

2 Likes

“Harry Potter Saturdays” Promo:

3 Likes

Couple of premiere movies on Nine next week including a made for TV midday movie that is known by two names.

Wednesday 26 April 8:30/9:30pm

Nine:
Friday 27 April Midday aka Putting Love to the Test.

1 Like

Midday movie on Nine Friday 5 May

9 Go! Friday 5 May 9:30 pm

9Go! Thursday 11 May 8:30 PM

Midday on 12 May on Nine

Seven or 7Mate
Saturday 13 May 7:30 PM

1 Like

The FTA premiere of Fast & Furious 9 will happen five days before its sequel Fast X is in Australian cinemas. (Fast 11, to be released in 2025, will mark the end of the movie series)

1 Like

9Go! has scheduled Fast & Furious 7 at the same time as Seven’s premiere; possible for a late change to this.

1 Like

It’s nearly that time of year for the annual The Fifth Element marathon. On Friday, the fifth of May, the movie will air on SBS Viceland 6 times. At 10pm, 2.20pm, 4.40pm, 7.00pm, 9.20pm and 11.40pm.

2 Likes

Two R18+ movies that Nine will have to edit (actually I believe The Suicide Squad won its appeal and upon review was downgraded to MA15+ and for that timeslot won’t need editing), but Mortal Kombat’s will.

I thought FTA was allowed R18+ content but it had to air after a certain time.

Having a quick look at the Free TV Code of Practice, it states that a broadcaster isn’t allowed to broadcast material that doesn’t meet an MA15+ rating at the most. As stated above, they are allowed to edit the film to reach an MA15+ rating for broadcast.

1 Like

Yep and pretty sure one of the Codes used to have a sentence in there, specifically relating to feature films, that “R18+ / X18+ is not allowed” or like you said “anything exceeding MA15+” and that a broadcaster “can modify the content to make it suitable for FTA”.

Absolutely not.

2 Likes

You might be thinking of New Zealand, which recently allowed that

1 Like

Nine

Tuesday 16 May 8:45 PM

3 Likes

How did Nine pick this up? I didn’t know they had some kind of broadcast deal with Nat geo.

Disney owns National Geographic channel, so I think Nine bought the film from Disney.

2 Likes

F9 Promo:

3 Likes