Movies on TV

In January 1960 ATN-7 signed a three to four year deal with Paramount Pictures for “hundreds of films”. Could this have been an output deal, maybe?

SMH, 4 January 1960.

6 Likes

This is the first time I’ve heard that “makes sense” is a negative reply. No wonder I’ve lost all my friends over the years.

In all seriousness, doesn’t make sense mean just that? Never have I ever seen it used sarcastically or negatively.

1 Like

I’m talking modern era of broadcasting and licencing (around mid-1980s onwards), but yes I’d imagine for that time it would’ve been?

1 Like

10 had some paramount output in the 90s as I recall Th em airing some Star Trek movies like Insurrection etc. could be wrong though.

Ergh, @Tom_TV7 sincere apologies mate, I just re-read your reply and you were indeed agreeing saying what I wrote “made sense” (you weren’t having a go at my phrasing as I initially thought). Now I’m not reading comments properly! Too late for Sully I reckon :crazy_face:

Sorry too @killy06, and I deleted my comment to you.

Whoops, can’t believe I skipped this, I’m an idiot:

I’m sure my mod pals will have a hard laugh at this.

1 Like

The SMH had an interview with Glen Kinging the program director of the Seven Network on 3 March 1981 about purchasing movies for television. This is a fascinating quote:

The movie was shown on Nine some years later, iirc. (?)

Lol

1 Like

Achievement Accomplished.

Aussie movie Cooped Up will air on 10 Peach this Friday night.

1 Like

Then after that, it goes back to more stupid repeats of seinfeld and friends etc. I wish ten had more variety.

5 Likes

After airing on 10 for years and then Seven for years, the original now airs on Nine (for years)…

3 Likes

The promos get stranger… Today:

• Seven News is promoted throughout the day (as normal) in the form of Updates.

• The Latest is promoted only a couple of times during Seven News with Mel Doyle, pre-recorded and ingested by NPC Media during the ad break play-outs. Even though this was the main prime time program (7pm).

• Red just gets that bad 5sec thing:

• Yet Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason gets a proper promo, even though it’s the later movie:

2 Likes

This is a Seven premiere, previously aired on Nine (FTA premiere was 8:30pm Friday November 10 in 2006). From Seven’s WB output.

1 Like

I noticed About a Boy is Nine’s 1pm movie today. IIRC used to be a Ten staple.

3 Likes

Yep, NBC-U. Previously on 10, then Seven and now Nine.

Pretty much all the Universal Pictures and subsidiary titles from mid-2000s or prior have gone like this…

1 Like

9Go! will air Tropic Thunder for the first time next week, it was an old ‘go to’ movie for 10. It premiered on 10 a decade ago. From Paramount. It had a series of reviews / complaints / classification changes / investigations by the public, ACB and ACMA.

Oblivion (2013) is also a Nine premiere next week on 9Go! after premiering on Seven. From NBC-U. Aired on 7mate not long ago.

2 Likes

for the vault

Troy (2004) Seven premiere, from their WB output. Last aired on 9Go! on Tuesday 3rd April 2018:

FTA premiere was on Nine on Friday November 6 in 2006.

Robin Hood (2010) Nine premiere, from their NBC-U output. Last aired on 7flix on Friday 3rd April this year and a lot the past year or two:

FTA premiere was on Seven on Friday November 30 in 2012.

2 Likes

A Seven premiere. From their WB output. Previously on Nine (last aired on 9Gem last August). FTA premiere was Friday October 6 in 2006.

For the first time since February, a movie is on one of the ten channels!

5 Likes

10 peach is putting on 10 things i hate about you next sunday at 9:00pm.

1 Like