Movies on TV

I saw something online one day confirming Nine are licensed with Disney now (Santa Clause, Oscars, some other Show I think) and as we know and saving us going around in circles, all commercial networks have now ended their overly expensive output deals in favour of cherry picking from multiple distributors (but yes that doesn’t mean Seven don’t still have some Walt Disney premieres or Nine still have some Village Roadshow premieres, dot dot dot)

They just might be buying packages of movies. They do this in the US in syndication.

Let’s say that Disney has Marvel movies as one package, Star Wars as another, kids movies as another and so on. Nine could have purchased the Marvel movies, Seven buys the Star Wars movies and they don’t have to commit to anything more beyond that.

I could be wrong though, but I do know they have that in the US syndication market.

1 Like

I think Nine gets the rights from organisers Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, not from ABC US.

Regency films (mainly through Warner Bros.) are starting to make an appearance on Seven:

2 Likes

Seven are now licensed to terrestrially broadcast many Warner Bros films, as is known, which this film is actually under (not Regency).

Regency do supply their films to TV networks globally, but under their arrangement with 20C Fox (who also have a stake in the company), examples over the years on Nine > then 10 > recently returned to Nine again include “Entrapment (1999”, etc.

2 Likes

I’m watching a recording of last night’s 60 Minutes and a promo for Charles Bronson’s Death Wish aired. I watched the original 1974 movie classic on a streaming service last year and the promo for the movie that was broadcast last night at 9.40pm on Gem wasn’t that movie. It turns out the movie that aired last night was the box office disaster Death Wish V: The Face of Death, a movie with a Rotten Tomato rating of 0%. Where does Nine get off pulling this dishonest shit on their viewers?

2 Likes

I hope you’re creeped out as I was with Tomic’s winking :tired_face:

Haven’t been having a good run in recent weeks with the Davis Cup on, wrong PRGs/promos/EPGs/movies have been going to air.

1 Like

Caps of Doctor Strange on Nine:

Promo:

Random caps:

1 Like

Seven will not be happy that it will not be able to complete its collection of Marvel movies. Still to come to FTA include Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, The Avengers: Infinity War. I think Seven and Nine will fight it out to get these titles on its channels.

2 Likes

Will this be a first for Nine? @Zampakid

Previously aired on Seven and 10 when they respectfully had NBC-U licencing

If I’m not mistaken, Ten first aired the movie Gladiator on February 9, 2003.

First time on Nine, yes.

1 Like

Saw this at the cinemas, was really good. Also this FTA premiere is exactly two years to the month.

FTA premieres have come a long way since even 10-20 years ago, when it could be up to 3 or sometimes 4 years?

1 Like

9Go! promos at the moment for “Saturday Family Adventure Night” (probably for at least a couple of months judging by the slew of movies teased).

Which is just code for the re-runs the channel usually cycles through on Saturdays during a given year anyway (Hunger Games, Jursssic Park, Journey To the Centre of the world, Mirror Mirror and those supernatural-fantasy-gothic movies, etc).

I got tricked by the promo’s first shot which looked like Hogwarts from Harry Potter, but it was from something else (Seven have rights now).

“Hidden Figures” (2017) FTA premiere promo on 7Two

Edit

It is on the main channel in most markets

2 Likes

FTA premiere. From Seven’s long running content supply deal with Icon (the Mel Gibson founded production/distribution company with an Australian connection)

2 Likes

The Incredibles “9Go! premiere”

Previously aired on Seven

4 Likes

As I have feared, Seven is gradually losing Disney movies to Nine :expressionless:

1 Like

Why would you “fear” that and have a :expressionless: emoji, Johnson?

No idea why Nine are branding it a “premiere”, it aint. Aired on Seven many times during the late 2000s/early 2010s, like “Toy Story”.

1 Like

I could not find an emoji that showed my worried face.
Inevitably, Nine could get its hands on Star Wars Episode VI, VII and IX, Mary Poppins Returns, Toy Story 4, etc.

1 Like