Movies on TV

I’m in the UK currently.

1 Like

No, the sequels are progressing, they’ve now all been given titles and the first one is released next December.
It’s just a James Cameron thing to do, take time to make sure he gets it right!

1 Like

I rarely get to watch Seven’s midday movie but today’s is pretty good. Why would anyone want it replaced with more news/talk or encores?

We can’t let the midday movie die

1 Like

:hushed:

Is that deserved?

I’ve never seen it. I’ve always been put off by the running time and the subject matter isn’t really a hook for me.

1 Like

It is what it is? Like I said, it’s pretty good and the special effects are stunning. Plus good cast.

I think it was enormous in Asian markets, hard to crack?

I always thought that the hype surrounding Avatar was only about the special effects and the excitement about 3D around the time of release, but that could be because i’m ignorant. The effects are magnificent, but I couldn’t get into the storyline at all.

3 Likes

No, it’s a movie you might watch once for the effects as it does look spectacular and the first real film to make 3D work but it really has no right to be the biggest movie of all time.

This is a good article on it, from a couple of years ago: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

5 Likes

It depends on how you define “biggest”?

Box office, it’s unequivocal and generally determines “biggest films”. Case closed.

But, and a big but, in terms of critical consensus or iconic status “biggest”, well hell no, a whole other thing.

I would say biggest almost exclusively refers to box office take, or cultural impact (toy sales, measurable impact elsewhere…references, spinoffs etc). Not critical consensus.

1 Like

I’ve only watched Avatar once and from memory, it was via DVD on a 4.3 CRT set.

Maybe my opinion would’ve been different if my viewing experience was in 3D at the cinemas or even on Blu-Ray, but despite the visual effects it was slow & boring IMO. Not going to be in a hurry to watch it again, especially via a commercial/In-Program Promotional Graphic-littered FTA TV broadcast!

2 Likes

I’ve watched Avatar quite a number times in High School (one time for study purposes and the other times because it’s the last day of the school term), i’ve liked it when I watched it the first time but after watching it repetitively I just cannot stand it.

1 Like

I’ve inadvertently watched it 100s of times because when I worked in electronics retail years ago, it was one of the movies I had on loop on the media player we used because it looked so pretty regardless of whether you used a composite / component / HDMI output :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s got an M rating. What about younger children :confused:

Home Alone 7mate promo
(returns to Seven, but specially on 7mate in Melbourne only tomorrow night due to State Election coverage)

An old Nine favourite The Last Boy Scout network premiere on 7mate (I swear it aired on 9Go! just a month ago)

1 Like

Sean Connery in his final performance

NB/ I’ve actually never seen this, is it any good? Connery’s 90s films progressively got weaker, though soft spots for The Rock and Entrapment

Here’s Sevens version:

3 Likes

First time the movie airs on Nine. It is made by Disney and previously only aired on Seven.
BTW, Tim Allen was on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon this week and said the original plot of The Santa Clause was much darker.
https://celebrity.nine.com.au/2018/11/23/14/39/tim-allen-original-santa-clause-plot

It last aired on 7flix over a year ago (last night a year ago in fact - 25th Nov 2017).

All but confirms Seven have progressively lost rights to Walt Disney Pictures re-runs, that they once had exclusivity to for decades, only a few have aired this year anyway (most others have been FTA premieres including “The Finest Hours” on Saturday just gone).

Will be interesting to see if Nine have struck a deal or if this is a one off, maybe for Christmas, hasn’t been any others. We know Ten have had a deal for Disney re-runs (that aren’t Walt Disney Pictures titles) for over a year now.

Quick question, was anyone watching the pre credit sequence of tonight’s James Bond film? Hopefully the rusted on Nine fanboys (I’m looking at you SCTV and Zampa) can aid me there.

I could be mistaken and have tuned in after it, but caught the fight between Bond and the traitor in the atrium just then and cut to an ad break at around 8:55pm and then straight to M’s London apartment after the ad returned.

Did Nine skip the iconic opening theme? I think it was the one with Alicia Keys job thus entry “Another way to die” or whatever? Pretty groovy song for an otherwise weak as piss film.