Movies on TV

More pick-ups from Ten/Nine with Seven’s new Fox/Warner Bros deals.

•Scooby Doo 2, 7flix, Friday week.
•The Siege, 7mate, Friday week (premiered on Seven around 2000, since been on Ten).

I saw the last movie at the cinema and it was terrible. I will not be watching the series on television anymore.

1 Like

In light of “Incredibles 2” being released and breaking records already, any word on if Seven have scheduled the original movie (2004) on any channel over this or next week?

I’d be surprised if they haven’t, as networks often air movies coinciding with the franchise’s theatrical release (e.g.) “As Infinity War smashes into cinemas, relive…” @TV.Cynic

I’ve often wondered if there is any money that changes hands as a result of those timely screenings.

1 Like

I’d say if there’s a sponsor billboard (e.g.) If The Avengers was airing “This program is proudly brought to you by Infinity War, in cinemas now”. Definitely.

But if not, probably not, just part of a network’s output or deal?

The theatrical arms of studios based in Australia would probably have a fair idea which commercial network has TV rights with who, so wouldn’t be surprised if Disney AUS/NZ gets on the blower to Seven in coming days RE: Incredibles.

Yeah, almost too coincidental a lot of the time though really. I get there would be heightened interest in the original movies around the time of a sequel coming out but sometimes it all seems a little perfect.

1 Like

Yep, I’ll be shocked if Seven don’t air the original flick soon.

Although, a side note, when’s the last time any Seven channel aired one of the Pixar films? Seem to have gone missing the past couple of years. “Toy Story” and all that used to run all the time. Possibility their rights have changed, well we know they have, because Ten have been accessing the non Walt Disney labels (Touchstone, etc)?

with Seven’s female V/O Sarah Aubury

“She’s got the boss from hell … For the first time on mate…”

(From Seven’s new Fox deal, formerly on Ten)

Strikes me as a strange movie for 7mate’s audience, would’ve been better suited on 7flix which will no doubt happen at some point.

3 Likes

I had a discussion with Knoxy on TV Tonight about this very point a week ago in the Lounge, he basically said (after having talked to a 7mate programmer too) that it’s just because of the AFL.

AFL airs on main channel during prime time in Melbourne and Adelaide and on 7mate in other markets, therefore the main channel programs in other markets air on 7mate in Melbourne and Adelaide.

Just Seven’s collective programming strategy, also so a 5 city rating can still be generated foe all programs.

(Nine do the exact same with NRL / 9Gem, even if a program seems like a ‘misfit’).

1 Like

Right. I could’ve sworn I saw a promo on 7 QLD this afternoon for it to air on the main channel, so that makes sense.

1 Like

Correct. Devil Wears Prada is on Seven’s main channel in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth (and associated regions) tomorrow night. 7mate in Melbourne and Adelaide (and associated regions, including Tas.)

1 Like

Another example of both corresponding to a theatrical release and networks monitoring rivals’ programming:

Hotel Transylvania 2: tonight on 9Go

Hotel Transylvania: tomorrow night on 7flix (just saw a promo).

Shame they’re out of order.

Network premieres:

Poseidon (2006) on 7flix, Friday week. Previously on Nine. From Seven’s Warner Bros pick-ups.

Breakdown (1997) on 7flix, Friday week. Previously on all networks. From Seven’s Paramount pick-ups.

Another movie Seven got from the 20th Century Fox deal. I think it only aired on Ten twice before including the FTA premiere.

1 Like

Getting out FTA premieres a bit quicker now. Seems like just yesterday this came out.

Being Pixar, hopefully a sign Seven will at least get thinking about other ones, such as The Incredibles (in cinemas now).

Yes, correct.

Oddly, Seven have scheduled Finding Dory to start at 6:30pm on 7mate in Melbourne and Adelaide (as they often do, earlier the better and prime time share), but it means Kingsman will have to be cut with an 8:40pm start.

NB/ Ten’s cut version can be seen on that YouTube channel “australia movie and tv censorship”

High Fidelity (Disney pick-up) and Hollywood Murder (Sony pick-up) network premieres on Eleven next week. Previously on Seven and Nine > Seven respectively.

Also, not only Ten, but Nine have revived Sony deal too, with Look Who’s Talking, Stuart Little 2 and Spider Man (previously on Seven very recently) returning to Nine.

Updated

More FTA Walt Disney premieres, Ch 7, Saturday week:

“The BTG” (2016) and “Alice Through The Looking Glass” (2016)

SBS Viceland having a “Friday the 13th” marathon from, yep you guessed it, Friday 13th July, running over the next week.

A cult following horror-slasher franchise, which seems to have become taboo to broadcast on FTA.

Last I remember was 9Go! running the original (under their Warner Bros deal) in late 2013. They got in trouble by the ACMA with their version once and had to re-edit, eventually destroying the uncut and making the master the edited version.

Part 2 all the way to the latest remake in 2009 are under Paramount. I think Ten ran some many years ago, definitely the remake on Eleven, but again networks seem to steer clear these days. Same goes for Halloween (Nine used to run the 1990s remake which included Josh Hartnett) and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

I’d be interested from our redident cap historians @Zampakid / @SydneyCityTV who last aired the other Friday the 13th (if at all), as well as other classic/cult franchises. Does seem more of a 1990s or prior thing.

1 Like

The movie has been scheduled just two days before the cinema release of the sequel.

1 Like

No, only non- Walt Disney Pictures (e.g.) Touchstone.

Seven still have exclusivity for the aforementioned (e.g.) Marvel, Pixar and other kids films.

1 Like