Movies on TV

The screenshot doesn’t state ‘premiere’. Is Nine advertising as a premiere?

1 Like

What did that have to do with anything? Movies change rights/networks all the time, every week.

I was talking about my 3 aforementioned points.

Not that I’ve seen.

You said why are they airing the lesser known movies and I’m saying I’m not bothered by the fact their airing the lesser known ones as it gives me a chance to see them after years.

1 Like

Sorry, you might be right there. It’s just I know they’ve been calling a few movies recently “premieres” when they’re definitely not (e.g.) The Incredibles

Got cha, my apologies. Thought you meant Disney in general.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen this before!

Nine split “The Magnificent Seven” in two, for classification purposes, but therefore had to do all this

Part 1 (8:08pm)

Part 2 (9:19pm)

(There was no ad break, this all happened within ~30sec)

I think this potentially sets a bad precedent for other networks to follow and no doubt @TV.Cynic inflates ratings (there will be two codings won’t there?) manipulating the system.

Because since the dawn of modern TV classification, when a film is modified for broadcast, you air that entire version, even if it goes into later time zones… That’s how it’s always been (e.g.) Seven do it all the time, even tonight. You don’t just pause a movie mid-run and do this, even if Nine can and/or felt the later stages of the movie were too hard to edit!

9 Likes

I don’t see the issue…movies on FTA TV are always awful viewing given the ad content. If they are willing to split it into two to get the higher-rated content in there, then so be it.

4 Likes

Turns out they did this with the Lord of the Rings / Hobbit on 9Go! a month or two back as well (at the time I thought it was just sneaky coding for ratings).

But ad breaks pause movies on FTA mid-run every 10-15 minutes, I don’t understand why this is any different apart from some technical fluff (they could treat it as an ad break if they wanted I’m sure).

3 Likes

Not an issue as such but very unusual. Normally a network would just fit in another ad break with no acknowledgement of a part one or two.

1 Like

I’m not totally au faire with classification laws (@Sully) but if a show starts before a certain time, I don’t think the classification can change even if the time zone allows.

1 Like

Yes, hence the program would be scheduled in a timeslot that allows the higher classification or otherwise split it over two nights/weeks.

Another option would be if Part 1 is only PG, cut out (presumably) what little M content is in part 2 to make the whole PG.

2 Likes

Just as the director intended.

2 Likes

As Aurora gets at, it just looks very strange, viewers expect ads, not to stop it for half a minute to do all that and resume just to allow for (I think) the immediately preceding ‘shoot out’ scene not to be butchered.

That’s correct, as has been the case for at least a couple of decades now with the ACMA’s commercial Code.

Which is why it’s so bizarre, as a network either does one of two things:

1. If they really want to air an M movie before 8:30pm (be it for ratings or the scheduling works better), it is edited and that version airs in full, even if starting at 8:25pm for example (yes it happens)! Not do what Nine did.

2. Or, the reason I think Nine did it, is because normally this particular movie would’ve been too hard to edit (hence the split) and just waited for an 8:30pm or after zone to air uncut. But for some reason, Nine didn’t want to do that, but when it came to the more graphic scenes later must’ve found it impossible to edit (be it too much and/or if edited would completely ruin the narrative - as Seven’s reasoning in the “Hannibal” ACMA investigation).

3 Likes

It’s clearly nothing to do with ratings and all about classification. The novel approach seems like a win for viewers if it means they can watch a movie with less censorship.

Better than this in 1983:

Video opnes with promo:

5 Likes

Walt Disney’s “Moana” (2016) FTA premiere on Nine, Saturday week.

Also, Walt Disney-Pixar’s “Finding Nemo” (2003) network premiere on 9Go! Previously on Seven.

“Ali” (2001) network premiere on 10 Bold on Sunday (Roadshow, previously on Nine).

1 Like

Beauty and the Beast Premiere Promo:

3 Likes

It’s presented as part of The Wonderful World of Disney. Good to see the Disney series back on Nine Sydney.

1 Like

David Campbell introducing ‘The Wonderful World of Disney’:

4 Likes

Are Nine monetising this (who’s on sponsor billboards)?

Very reminiscent to Seven’s Season of Magic last year (where they did special intros with cast, graphics and had “Crimes of Grindlewald” theatrical release sponsoring it paid by Roadshow).

Not watching because of the footy, but would’ve otherwise, never saw this Beauty and the Beast at the cinemas

2 Likes