Classification

The story doesn’t say.

There are still movies and programs on Netflix Australia that are classified as Adult or have no rating. I wonder why that is.

1 Like

Here’s a interesting BTN report on this topic:

As mentioned by TV-Expert in the SBS Operations thread, there are some interesting Classification-related changes coming to the multicultral broadcaster next Friday.

The first of those will be the main channel and SBS VICELAND being allowed to air M classification programs between 12pm and 3pm all week, all year round just as the ABC have been able to since 2016.

The second is that “traditional” program Classification Warnings will no longer air, instead being replaced by the type of start of program graphic the commercial networks have been running since Late 2015/Early 2016. Personally I think it’ll be interesting to see whether any effort is made with the new graphics (customised style for each channel) or if it’s just a generic style/layout across all of SBS, SBS VICELAND, SBS FOOD & NITV which is I think what the commercial networks have done for the most part.

If I’m not mistaken, this change will leave the ABC as being the only major FTA TV broadcaster to still run full Classification Warnings which leads to the inevitable question, will our national broadcaster eventually dump Classification Warnings in favour of superimposed graphics on programs? At the moment, I’d be willing to predict that the ABC will just wait and see what the reaction is like to SBS making the move before deciding whether or not to change the guidelines/presentation of Classification Advice for each program. Unlike SBS, the ABC likely has a lot more families/children watching their suite of channels so they’d have to take that into consideration when making changes to the classification guidelines.

2 Likes

Networks claim to still be serious about regulatory affairs, however viewers are flippant…

How many parents/guardians actually supervise children properly, let alone notice these tiny graphics pop up for like a second.

The parental lock (based on EPG logs) would be the only quality control for protecting minors these days, as many have said here it’s ‘archaic’ most of the individual classification rules/stipulations.

In case any of you aren’t aware (and I’ve had discussions with others about this before) SBS don’t edit many (in fact most) R18+ films, just slap it with MA. Despite SBS’ code clearly going no higher than MA and talking about modification in it. @TV-Expert

1 Like

9Gem airing their “PG” edited version of “A View To A Kill” (1985) tonight, or as Nine like to EPG it A View To Kill :no_mouth:

Even though it’s scheduled for nearly 9pm, 20min after “M” films are allowed?

Looks like Nine made the edited version their master copy (as they have oddly done with so many films over the decades) and I’m guessing there’s something they have an issue with to never air it in full?

@Bort pointed out here one day that they removed the entire ‘mine slaughter’ scene (where a crazed Christopher Walken machine guns tons of workers), but they also removed shots such as him at the climax falling and hitting the water from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Yes. 10 have classified Leaving Neverland “MA15+” with “Sexual References” and “Strong Adult Themes”.

edit

Actual films only. Technically this isn’t a film. And 10 agree, hence its at 8:30pm as MA.

Used to be mini series and telemovies too in the old code I believe.

edit

Seven have breached the Code of Practice by airing an M rated movie 4 minutes before 8:30pm.

May seem petty and ridiculous, but don’t laugh, the ACMA have found stranger things in breach

Wonder if they happen to read MS or this thread? :wink:

Edit (23/3/2019)

Looking back through the archives in 2002, NBN Television, Nine Network affiliate in Northern NSW, have a PG classification warning. Contains medical procedures.
(NBN Television And also WIN Television had Tim Elliott and Ken Sparkes as voiceover blokes for the classification billboards instead of The local voiceover guy.)

A facebook comment regarding “The Day After Tomorrow” (2004) on 7mate currently, one of many similar that is often submitted.

But in this case allegedly ruining the narrative flow, which isn’t good.

There are no shortage of alternate ways to watch movies in this day and age that don’t involve shitty, ofted edited FTA runs with hours of commercials and promo shit.

9 Likes

Tonight’s comedy special was MA+15

1 Like

Classification Review Board once again permits the use of the ‘C-word’ in an “M” classifiation (overturning the original Classification Board “MA15+” ruling), a carbon copy example of 12 years ago… All because of “context”:

Sleuth (2007) with Michael Caine and Jude Law

Rocketman (2019) with Taron Egerton, decided today

NB/ Commercial FTA TV never allows the ‘C-word’ in an M classification, always MA, even movies where the CB ruled differently, the network instead omitting the word(s) or bumping it up to MA.

1 Like

A good decision. Context is everything.

I am possibly misremembering but I am sure that the C word was used on Winners & Losers in one episode by Bec. I am happy to be wrong, it may have only been the F word which still would have been rare then.

1 Like

It would have been the “F” word. I doubt they would have used the “C” word on that show.

I can remember the outrage when John Howard dropped the “F” word on All Saints. :laughing: It was a word that had not been heard on that show before, even though it was an M show.

3 Likes

Remember the Nine-ACMA controversy back in 2008 with “Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares”? C-word is taboo.

Acceptable language changes over time.
The reaction to the word cunt has softened over the last decade.

4 Likes

So much so that many, particularly young folk, use it in day to day vernacular. Which is a shame to see.

1 Like

I remember that. I also remember Rob Sitch had a rant on The Panel, so that would have been late 90s, when he shouted “Who the f— are you?” talking about Donna Gubbay after The Panel played some clip of her on E News. I remember his rant caused a bit of a stir, of course, well before social media. These days it would probably not raise an eyebrow.

4 Likes

I still cringe when I hear profanity used in public, particularly around females and older people. I love a filthy joke and I do swear at times but I like to think I only do it in appropriate situations. I complained to management in a licensed venue once when a group seated near my family was loudly dropping such words while we were dining. There was signage in the venue warning against inappropriate language.

Can’t believe how many times the “C” word was used throughout the eight seasons of Game of Thrones.

Warning: Language.

1 Like

I know… filthy mouths…

YouTube: KCTVfan

5 Likes