Movies on TV

Network premieres:

Poseidon (2006) on 7flix, Friday week. Previously on Nine. From Seven’s Warner Bros pick-ups.

Breakdown (1997) on 7flix, Friday week. Previously on all networks. From Seven’s Paramount pick-ups.

Another movie Seven got from the 20th Century Fox deal. I think it only aired on Ten twice before including the FTA premiere.

1 Like

Getting out FTA premieres a bit quicker now. Seems like just yesterday this came out.

Being Pixar, hopefully a sign Seven will at least get thinking about other ones, such as The Incredibles (in cinemas now).

Yes, correct.

Oddly, Seven have scheduled Finding Dory to start at 6:30pm on 7mate in Melbourne and Adelaide (as they often do, earlier the better and prime time share), but it means Kingsman will have to be cut with an 8:40pm start.

NB/ Ten’s cut version can be seen on that YouTube channel “australia movie and tv censorship”

High Fidelity (Disney pick-up) and Hollywood Murder (Sony pick-up) network premieres on Eleven next week. Previously on Seven and Nine > Seven respectively.

Also, not only Ten, but Nine have revived Sony deal too, with Look Who’s Talking, Stuart Little 2 and Spider Man (previously on Seven very recently) returning to Nine.

Updated

More FTA Walt Disney premieres, Ch 7, Saturday week:

“The BTG” (2016) and “Alice Through The Looking Glass” (2016)

SBS Viceland having a “Friday the 13th” marathon from, yep you guessed it, Friday 13th July, running over the next week.

A cult following horror-slasher franchise, which seems to have become taboo to broadcast on FTA.

Last I remember was 9Go! running the original (under their Warner Bros deal) in late 2013. They got in trouble by the ACMA with their version once and had to re-edit, eventually destroying the uncut and making the master the edited version.

Part 2 all the way to the latest remake in 2009 are under Paramount. I think Ten ran some many years ago, definitely the remake on Eleven, but again networks seem to steer clear these days. Same goes for Halloween (Nine used to run the 1990s remake which included Josh Hartnett) and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

I’d be interested from our redident cap historians @Zampakid / @SydneyCityTV who last aired the other Friday the 13th (if at all), as well as other classic/cult franchises. Does seem more of a 1990s or prior thing.

1 Like

The movie has been scheduled just two days before the cinema release of the sequel.

1 Like

No, only non- Walt Disney Pictures (e.g.) Touchstone.

Seven still have exclusivity for the aforementioned (e.g.) Marvel, Pixar and other kids films.

1 Like

:+1:

Late change:

Code Black dropped from 7flix as of tonight (didn’t realise):

Replaced by “The Hangover Part II” network premiere at 9pm (an umpeenth Warner Bros pick-up, Nine won’t be happy to have lost it, run ad nauseam including recently).

I can help a bit here as a casual horror fan. One of the first things I ever taped off the tv was Friday the 13th Part VIII Jason Takes Manhattan, which aired on a Friday the 13th in the late 90s at 1am on Nine (technically a Saturday). Haven’t seen it on FTA since.

Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday premiered on Nine in the early 00s (quite a late premiere as the movie was from 1993) as a Sunday late night movie and it even made the lineup promo. Haven’t seen it on FTA since.

Jason X and Freddy vs Jason premiered on GO a few years back.

3 Likes

Just from looking at the 2013 Guides on TV Tonight, the last time ‘Friday The 13th’ aired on the main channel was at 1:50am Sunday June 23, 2013.

3 Likes

@Zampakid I hope you didn’t trawl through all that, just for me. Appreciated.

1 Like

7flix will broadcast “The Full Monty” (1997) original iconic movie Saturday week, the night before the new Australian TV special. Another pick-up (or return) from their new 20C Fox TV deal.

1 Like

Caught this at the start of the film “Ghost of Girlfriend’s Past” (2009) on Ch 9 tonight:
20180720_232019

Had never seen it before. Is this variant always attached at the start of Roadshow movies broadcast on TV? Usually always on Nine.

Credit to @Zampakid, who seems to be quite prolific outside of MS, cap from a site called Closing Credits.

More common back in the 90’s and 2000’s, sometimes in different variants through different film companies like these:

Nowadays, in newer Roadshow Entertainment Prints on Nine, they don’t include the Roadshow Television logo.

4 Likes

I noticed on Goldeneye (on Ch 9 now) whenever text appears (e.g.) “nine years later” or a location mentioned, etc.

It is in yellow.

Whereas it is in white and a different font on the DVD I have (2006 two disc re-releases).

Strange, because the DVD is the same versions that Nine have, which are updated with the 2000s United Artists logo (older versions - which oddly enough Goldeneye still uses, probably historical value as it was the first to use it) have the older 1990s United Artists logo.

Same yellow as this?

1 Like

Yeah that’s what was on Nine (only full screen and HD :wink:)

1 Like

I remember burning the Goldeneye dvd to give to a friend and noticing the ‘nine years later’ never came up on that copy.

2 Likes

And even weirder, the sequel that aired after it “Tomorrow Never Dies” had another text - a blue text that appeared near the start (title of a ship - HMAS whatever.

So that was permanent obviously.

But the yellow/white must be added later, depending on the type of distribution.