Movies on TV

Tonight’s movie Sisters (2015) on Nine is a FTA premiere, from NBC Universal.

1 Like

Next week:

•“Hot Pursuit” (2015) FTA premiere on Nine, from MGM International Television.

•“The Rookie” (1990) network premiere on 7mate, from Warner Bros International Television (previously Nine).

•“Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome” (1985) network premiere on 7mate, also Warner Bros (previously Nine).

Coming to America aired week 2 of 7flix didn’t It?

1 Like

You are absolutely correct, my apologies.

Not sure about that exactly, but “Coming To America” (1988) has aired on Seven before, a mental blank.

Seven have a cherry-pick deal with Paramount’s international television arm, for a handful of titles. Nine and Ten both have bigger deals with them (the former especially and the latter a long-time relationship).

Not sure if it’s been mentioned

Dreamworks Animation (now owned by Comcast as of 2016) has just had its distribution switch from 21st Century Fox to NBC Universal.

Which includes theatrical, home entertainment, digital & television.

I’m 99% sure this means Nine (who have a deal with NBC Universal International) will now have rights / access to all DreamWorks Animation.

Which means DreamWorks Animation films Ten had been airing (distributed by 20th Century Fox - when they had 20th Television output deal), such as “How To Train Your Dragon 2” will now switch to Nine.

Next week (11th):

FTA premiere, from Roadshow.

Promos have returned for all prime-time programs on Seven’s multi-channels, after going on a hiatus over summer (certainly movies).

Coming to America (1988), seen just before program commencement, on 7mate Perth

Just to show @Bort what I was talking about the other day (Seven’s PRG second line showing significant cast member when promoting a movie), for those who live in Prime markets and apparently don’t have it.

As seen during “Blazing Saddles” (1974) last night

3 Likes

“For the first time ever on Seven”

“X Men” movie marathon on 7mate.

Seven are really utilising their new 20th Television deal aren’t they!

Formerly on Ten

@TV.Cynic

1 Like

Is 7mate showing X Men movies for seven nights in a row or just on Sundays? Remember the Winter Olympics will be on 7mate in Perth until late night on most nights.

1 Like

Correction @JohnsonTV: every night, after Olympics (9pm or after all are scheduled).

While we’re on this, what’s the bet we’ll see these Fox classics and ones Ten aired frequently gradually rolled out across Seven this year?

•Die Hard movies
•Speed
•Home Alone
•Independence Day
•Mrs Doubtfire
•Alvin and the Chipmunks
•Ice Age movies
Etc.

I reckon Titanic (some weeks ago) was their first as part of the new deal, it’s just it hadn’t been announced yet.

Next week - continued

“Ella Enchanted” (2004) network premiere on Eleven, formerly Nine (including very recently). Provided by Roadshow, so Nine have definitely lost exclusivity for that deal now, “Good Will Hunting” being the other so far.

•‘90s week’ on Eleven:
-The Sixth Sense, Rpt (Disney)
-Deep Impact, Rpt (Paramount)
-Grosse Point Blank, Rpt (Disney)
-The First Wives Club, Rpt(Paramount)

2 Likes

“Unfinished Business” (2015) FTA premiere 9pm on Eleven tonight, provided by 20th Television (but part of their deal for Regency titles only).

A rare 1pm movie airing today on Nine and it’s in 4:3

1 Like

Nine air 1pm movies regularly.

But nice cap.

What marvellous use of the tag system. Kudous.

:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

It was in case Cynic wasn’t aware, as he posts the program guides.

Hey, Luke! Could you alert Bort next time Electric Dreams (1984) gets a run on FTA TV. His movie education is sadly lacking.

2 Likes

Capped this rare logo again at the end of “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe” (2005) on 7flix tonight

This name was dropped for Disney ABC International Television in May 2007.

So clearly Seven have a lot of old copies of TV shows / movies. I wonder if Disney ABC and their other providers they have deals with send them new copies or whether Seven request?

Particularly for reasons like new versions: digital restorations, directors cuts, other edits, alternate footage, etc.

I’ve also wondered when rights are lost or re-negotiated if networks have to delete the copies they have from their systems or not. Often networks will regain rights too, so similar question.

2 Likes

I’m sure they would… for a considerable fee.

1 Like

Isn’t it a FTA network’s only option though?

It’s against the law / copyright to just buy a DVD / Blu-Ray and broadcast that terrestrially isn’t it?

Hence why they’re required to make deals with international TV providers, so they’re licensed for that content (I’d imagine sent to them digitally via satellite or whatever compatible broadcast machinery they liaise with).

I used to be naive many years ago, thinking Seven/Nine/Ten just went and bought DVDs and aired them LOL :joy:

Uh, no. They can keep airing the “old version” that is exactly the same film but with a different distributor’s logo on it?

There’s a list of people who would even notice this, and there’s one person on it.

3 Likes