Movies on TV

Also a FTA premiere. Another one off purchase from Studiocanal. Was originally scheduled back in late March on the Friday night of R2 of the AFL (which did not eventuate).

2 Likes

On the Beach 1959 is currently on 9GEM, seems kinda apt for these times.

Also worth a squiz for seeing Melbourne’s sights including when the Blue Harris trains were clean and shiny!

Some film nostalgia

2 Likes

:heart:

Seven’s heavily promoted “massive Marvel blockbusters” uses that generic long and short promos during the week (as well as in-program pop-ups during the AFL)…

But makes a specific movie promo for the Next Up:

(New V/O, vision and graphics, but the V/O script is the same old one they’ve used for 4 years “when the stars line up”.

Seven airing made-for-TV movies from Sony Pictures today, “Relative Chaos” (2006) a Seven premiere, classified “M”.

But market splits due to official school holidays in Victoria and Queensland, instead airing “PG” movie “Lethal Vows” (1999) starring the late John Ritter as well as Marg Helgenberger. This movie originally used to air on Ten during the 2000s, last in 2007. First aired on Seven in March 2011. Oddly for a made-for-TV title, it was released on VHS in Australia and classified by the ACB (which matches Seven’s classification exactly).

1 Like

Is this a FTA premiere? I remember Seven scheduled it earlier this year.

1 Like

It was scheduled for 9 April but got bumped when House Rules was scheduled for 7pm which saw Pooch Perfect pushed later in the night.

2 Likes

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri FTA premiere

(7mate version for some markets, short version).

NB/ Seven promotions (now known as “Seven Creative”) still can’t seem to figure out their new network presentation package :thinking:

1 Like

How is it that Muriel’s Wedding is screening tonight on 9 when it was shown on the ABC only 10 days ago at 12.30 on a Saturday afternoon in full? Weird that it was on ABC, on a Saturday afternoon and the M rated parts shown in full.

To keep it simple, different rights (one is public, the other commercial - it was actually last on Network 10 before ABC aired it) and different regulatory framework (ABC has its own Code vs the commercial one).

1 Like

“MS Readathon” family ‘stories brought to the big screen’ movie event

3 Likes

“Dolby Digital” logo bug appeared at the start of the movie Tears of the Sun (2003) on 9Gem just before.

That’s a throwback. I reckon it’s the same copy as their FTA premiere back on Sunday March 23 in 2008, when the digital channels (7HD, Ten HD, 9HD, etc) had launched.

The movie had since been on Seven a number of times, then 10 (last in early 2018) and now on Nine again.

5 Likes

Ghostbusters on Nine tonight. I can remember it being on Nine years ago. Wasn’t it on Ten for a while?

1 Like

I watched it once or twice on Ten so that would be a yes.

1 Like

It was on 10 for a long time, they got it with their long-running Columbia Tristar (now Sony Pictures) output which ran for much of the 90s and 2000s.

“Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me” (1999) has its Seven premiere Tuesday week on 7flix. Now licenced by WB.

It was originally licenced by Roadshow here and was a Nine fave, airing many times over 20 years including very recently (Roadshow used to handle New Line Cinema in Aus/Nz, but such titles has since elapsed and are now under WB who of course own New Line).

Also interestingly the first movie skipped, musn’t have rights yet?

“The Shape of Water” FTA premiere

(On main channel in some markets)

2 Likes

Main channel version:

(7mate version above seems odd now considering they have launched their new package).

A combined promo for Deadpool and Deadpool 2 shown tonight on Seven during the AFL, which seems to suggest Deadpool 2’s FTA premiere will be Sunday week (July 19) against The Voice grand final.

1 Like

“Deadpool” FTA premiere occured on a weekend night with a split schedule a couple of years back and recorded the highest non-sport ratings (I think) for a multi-channel in a market, with more than 100k in Melbourne alone on 7mate.

Combined with AFL (I think it was) the channel’s share was over 8%.