Misses of 2016

Pathetic. Seven clearly know it’s on its last legs with shit like this. Here’s hoping they actually do finally put this show out of its misery after this season concludes. Seven should have gone ahead and canned it last year. Let’s just hope Nine are not stupid enough to pick up yet another show well past it like they have been doing in recent years (and again this year).

2 Likes

Nine already has The Voice…

Yes, they do. Which is hopefully reason enough not to even consider it. I seriously hope Ten are not thinking about picking it up either. Put it in the same basket as Big Brother - it needs rest for a while.

2 Likes

Quality journalism from The Daily Telegraph. :laughing:

Surprised Zumbo’s Just Desserts isn’t on this list. Failed spectacularly despite extensive promotion during Olympics.

1 Like

Conspicuously absent from Seven’s Upfronts for 2017 too.

Unless they plan to majorly revamp it. Maybe relegate Zumbo to judge or just drop him completely. Call it Just Desserts and have it hosted by Rachel Khoo. :grinning:

Xfatcor could also be a victim of the low rating later months of the year. Nothing is doing very well at present.

The networks only have themselves to blame for that. They have been programming like they don’t care so neither do the viewers.

A few years back, the networks used to roll out some of their biggest guns in the final ratings weeks. We used to have reality shows finales and drama series with big cliffhangers happening in the last two weeks of the ratings year.

Now, because they think they have achieved everything they can for this year, they either rest on their laurels or give up for the rest of the year.

3 Likes

While that night contribute, it doesn’t account for a drop of 400,000 from the same day last year. The 2 episodes of The X-Factor on 1 and 2 Nov 2015 rated 1,005,000 on Monday and 1,147,000 on Tuesday. The show had ratings around one million for this part of its run in 2015. On the same Monday The Block had 962,000 and TBL Families 589,000. It’s this year’s show, not the time of year.

1 Like

…and I’d be willing to predict that we’ll most likely be including The Voice on a “Ratings Misses” list one year in the not too distant future.

I also agree with @JBar. Long gone are the days of the networks rolling out big finales and specials for the end of a ratings year. These days, the ratings battle seems to be finished after about the end of September! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Maybe one of the networks will be smart enough next year and schedule some big content towards the end of the ratings season and be rewarded for it.

Sort of the way Ten started scheduling some of their content on Thursday nights when the others were giving up and has had some great success there.

3 Likes

I think I had these in my ‘unsure’ buckets, but I’ll confirm them as flops now (or at least for the networks they’re on)…

•Hyde & Seek
•Unreal Estate
•The X Factor
•Survivor US
•Rugby Four Nations
•All Star Family Feud

See I totally disagree with that one. I think that has been a quiet hit for Nine. Often winning its timeslot and doing well in the demos.

It’s been up and down. Hit and Miss. :wink:

1 Like

And…

Millionaire Hot Seat with Eddie McGuire?

Has rated poorly this year against the dominant The Chase Australia (which has beaten Ten News a lot) & dragged down Nine News to new lows, losing many bulletins to their rival this year.

Could be a tough call for 2017? Maybe a refresh or major tweak?

1 Like

So if it still beats Ten News doesn’t that make Ten News a miss? :smile:

1 Like

Exactly.

While the 5.30pm timeslot is something that Nine will need to seriously think about in the not too distant future, Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five has rated appallingly for some time now. Sometimes less than 500k across all five major metro markets recently and I honestly wouldn’t be too surprised if it dips below the 400k mark (or worse) as the weather warms up and less people are watching TV at 5pm heading into Summer.

2 Likes

But I look at it like this…

Ten News 5pm airs because it HAS to. It doesn’t count towards Ch 10’s prime time (no offence to Ten News).

The Chase & Hot Seat on the other hand, are boosts to Seven News & Nine News at 6pm (which both count towards prime-time & are more than not the top programs of a night).

So for a channel like 9… Hot Seat is of big importance I would think? :cold_sweat:

1 Like

What is the difference with Ten News being a lead in to 6pm and The Chase etc being a lead in to the night?

Shouldn’t news be the best lead in to primetime?

1 Like

Unreal Estate is one of the Nine post-The Block programs that has been over-reported in the ratings, often losing 50,000 when the real ratings numbers are revealed.