Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 8, 2017

The world’s changed. You probably weren’t indulging in smashed avo’s on the weekend in your 20’s either :wink:

Easy to spend money when you’re living at home…

1 Like

…and don’t have kids.

Insignificant man discusses insignificant radio show

1 Like

There has been talk about George and Paul making the switch to 2GB’s weekend lineup. I know you don’t like the show but they have been phenomenally successful on the underperforming 2UE for a decade and it’s not a good look for Macquarie’s flagship station to be out-rated on weekends by what is now, essentially, an advertorial station.

3 Likes

I think George and Paul is the last of that rivalry between 2ue and 2gb. Remember Ray Hadley going on Saturday to try and beat them. I don’t know if George & Paul want to go to 2GB though it does makes sense. The last of the deep 2UE vs 2GB ill feeling is still there.

The way Macquarie has treated the cricket is not good in my view. TLS ratings are not the best anyway. I guess I get it if it was the West Indies (if they don’t broadcast the first couple of games), but the Ashes? If they were rating number 1, I’d understand.

I used to love listening to them, and listened for many years during all the afternoon and morning timeslots. George was the seemingly inner west chardonnay sipping trendy (though he lived near the Macquarie Centre) giving even handed commentary with Paul the old eastern suburbs grouch that leaned to the right. It was refreshing to hear George being able to give an opinion again after his earlier boring years doing breakfast on Mix 106.5. Over the years both have moved to the right, so far right that I can’t listen to them. They probably should be moved to 2GB as they would fit in with Jones, Hadley, Smith and Bolt, and the right wing act put on by Price. Graham, Sandra, Linda and Kent Ross would probably then be shuffled over to Talking Lifestyle and would fit as there is a lot of product placement on that show. But it is informative and easy to listen to, unlike near everything on 954, Saturday night the notable exception.

3 Likes

Yeah they promote the iHeart Radio app but not DAB… 2CH on the other hand have a nice sounding promo about sounding much better on DAB+

2 Likes

Also, it seems I need to eat my words.

Well done to Triple M in Sydney. Still don’t know how you rate so highly outside of 5am-10pm weekdays, but there you go.

That is a local decision. Most likely oversight.

Anecdotally, in Adelaide, many retail businesses (incl cafes and cellar doors in surrounding regions) play Cruise via digital radio, Smooth to a lesser extent.

4BC’s figures only assisted by a rise in 65+ demo and longer TSL. Audience cycles round, and BC is no different, it operates within a range, at the top end of it now.

Currently, there’d be no local shifts on 4BC.

Perth results are interesting, old faithfuls 94.5 and ABC not doing as well as they used to. 6iX in real trouble.

2 Likes

Poor 6ix must look at Cruise and 4KQ and wonder what’s going wrong. Personally I don’t think it’s their fault. My theory is that for a long time Perth has had better choices for adult music listeners on FM (94.5 and 96). I think this is lessening though so I think 6ix will improve over time. Although as DAB takes more listeners they’ll need to watch those - eg Smooth

1 Like

Probably the ownership.

1 Like

In Brisbane, I find that 97.3 is the station heard in many shops.

1 Like

I heard Brent James mention digital radio on 4KQ this morning.

2 Likes

Gee I don’t. I hear Digital on nearly everywhere I go in shops and cafes. Usually Smooth, Easy Hits or even Buddha.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Macquarie Radio Network (Talk)

It doesn’t help that they have FM repeaters (105.7) stationed in the outer Southern & Northern suburbs of Perth because 1080 AM’s signal strength isn’t good enough to serve the entire metro area. People that commute from the outer suburbs to the inner suburbs/CBD aren’t going to jump from FM to AM just to keep listening.

2 Likes

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but why is 1080 so problematic across Perth? Do the other AM stations have the same problem?

6IX is listed as just 2kw omni, the only capital city station with that power. 6PR is 10kw. All Sydney and Melbourne commercials are 5kw directional except 2GB that is 6kw.

Wonder why 6IX just didn’t increase power? Surely that would have been better than FM translators scattered around the place. Are the FM translators in stereo?

I did know this. Why is this the case? Id expect 2sm to have more power given its the other end of the dial.