Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 8, 2017

I’m surprised to see 6PR beating ABC in the breakfast time slot

1 Like

I’d say even though 2GB is number one, they need to get lifestyle up in the ratings. I wonder who is more profitable is it MRN or ARN? Sometimes being popular does not mean you make money. Maybe lifestyle & 2GB its more profitable in Sydney anyway than KIIS and WS?

KIIS was #1 with people aged 25-39 while WSFM was #1 with people aged 40-54 in this survey. 2GB was #1 with people aged 65+ while Talking Lifestyle 954 only outrated all FM stations (and even then, more still listened to 2CH) in the “65+” demographic. Also when you combine the figures for the two stations of each network, ARN would’ve had more listeners overall than MRN.

While I couldn’t say for sure, somehow I’d imagine that most major advertisers (granted there’s a few primarily aimed at the 65+ demo on 2GB like Pain Away and CareAlert SmartDialer) would prefer to advertise on stations which do well in the 25-39 and 40-54 demographics rather than 65+.

1 Like

Sydney’s the same, and either way jingle frequency is not a major contributor to the numbers…

It’s interesting given the level of networking (Nova for example is identical in Sydney & Melbourne from 9am - 5am) and the fact that Melbourne and Sydney have almost identical radio offerings that the numbers can be so wildly different in the two cities. Surely makes it hard for those trying to make network-level decisions…

The only reason 2GB is #1 overall is because of their heavily skewed popularity in the much older demographics.

1 Like

And because 2GB’s listeners stay tuned to 873 for long periods of time - despite the 58 minutes of ads they seem to play an hour.

Exactly. Talkback has a major advantage in surveys over music stations as the TSL is significantly higher.

I would expect ARN would be, even when adjusted to account for the different number of stations.

Advertisers typically want to target younger audiences as they are the people with disposable income and spending it. Therefore spots on most ARN stations will be in higher demand and therefore worth more money.

Cume is also a factor. As music stations tend to have higher cumes, an ad repeated 10 times during a day will be heard by more people than an ad played 10 times in a day on a talkback station. More ears = more money for advertisers which means ad packages are worth more, or advertisers will be happy to buy more ads.

Music programming also tends to be cheaper as less staff are involved. Yes ARN pay top dollar for their talent, but they have less talent than a station like 2GB who have high paid talent and production teams in almost all shifts.

4 Likes

4BH was playing easy listening for a long time though before MRN killed them. Hope they’re happy with their * share. As were Magic in Melbourne.

2 Likes

Is it really true that younger people have more disposable income? I highly doubt it. Under 30s are mostly unemployment, under employed or studying. I know I’ve got a LOT more disposable income in my 40s.

2 Likes

If Macquarie’s cricket rights are renewed, I wonder what the future of that program will be. I say this because I can’t see Cricket Australia allowing Macquarie to continue:

• A) Airing their coverage on Talking Lifestyle instead of 2GB in Sydney: nor
  • B) Having coverage of 3/5 tests each Summer only available through NTS (unless you’re in QLD or SA)
2 Likes

Always seems to be the way, as KIIS 1011 spikes changes are made to the team. Expect it will be drop on the next survey but time will tell.

1 Like

4BC reds to be Rebuilded from the Ground Up, Get rid of Alan Jones & Chris Smith, Find Two New Local Voices to Fill and Resume Localism, But it’ll take time get Listeners to Tune into 4BC Again.

1 Like

With 4KQ most people would be listening to them on DAB radio instead of crappy old AM.Triple M have too much sport and talk that’s why their ratings have gone down

2 Likes

Actually, compared to last survey (as well as a year ago), 4MMM actually went up by 0.4%. It’s just that 4KQ rose at a much faster rate, in which they went up 2.1%, enough to overtake 4MMM in the ratings.

2 Likes

Probably not, but that’s how the ad buyer think anyway.

There’s also the differ nice that younger people are more likely to spend all their disposable income and are still impressionable by advertisers whereas people in their 40s (and older) are more set in their ways and typically more likely to save their extra money rather than spend it.

5 Likes

Peter Ford on 2DayFM’s Breakfast ratings.

2 Likes

4BC ratings just lifted 0.6 overall, and 1.3 in breakfast and 0.7 in mornings. I can’t see them changing their strategy too soon.

But hey Talking Lifestyle in Brisbane… just increased their ratings by 66%… to 0.5 and not a single listener under 40 :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes, with Jones and Hadley both rating above the 4BC station average there is no way Macquarie will drop them for local programs.

Yes it’s probably true that younger consumers might be more likely to spend all their disposable income. I guess it depends what they’re advertising.

Yes I think DAB might be starting to help stations like 4KQ and Cruise. Don’t know why they don’t promote it more, I really don’t. 4KQ barely ever mention the fact they’re on digital. It’s really dumb.

1 Like